Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » EMERGENCY: MSWord Expert needed!

Author Topic: EMERGENCY: MSWord Expert needed!
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I goofed! Stupid, stupid me. When I went to close my short story that I'm working on, I accidentally clicked NO to save all changes!

What do I do? What's the magic trick? There HAS to be one.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh.

Most unfortunately, there is no trick.

MS Word does occassional back-up saves as you type, but this only helps you if the power goes out or your computer crashes (and then with mixed results). When you close a document and choose not to save, however, it is all over.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Dakota, Do you work with the auto save on? If so, there should be a back-up file saved somewhere. In older versions of WORD it was seperate file (.bkp I think). I'm not sure if the auto save still works the same.

Other than that, I'm not expert enough to know how to recover unsaved documents.

Good Luck.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Bad, bad new. I'm shaking I'm so frustrated and downhearted.

It was SO GOOD! And I killed it!!

hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I once lost 28 pages... then I found them on a backup disk... my feelings go out to you.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to re-write it immediately while it's fresh in your mind.

Good luck.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm so sorry, Dakota. I've been there, too. I'd be surprised if just about everyone who uses a word processor hadn't done that at one point or another, or something similiar.

I've learned many lessons about computers the hard way. They include:

1. Save early. Save often. Honestly, I click on the little save icon every time I pause for breath. It's subconsciouss. It's about the same as hitting the spacebar now.

2. Backup, backup, backup! Hard drives fail. Hard drives and one CD backup may fail. Hard drive and 3 CD backups are entirely unlikely to fail at the same moment. I do a complete backup once a month. Of course, if bad things happen to my hard drive at the wrong moment I could lose a month's worth of work. Hmmmm...maybe I should backup more often, at least my WIP.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Open Word.

Click on the Tools menu and select Options.

When the Options window opens, click on the Save tab and check your Save settings.

If Auto-recover is selected, you probably haven't lost it all.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't even have to click on the disk icon -- just do "control-s" every time your fingers pause. It becomes habit after the first day. I even find myself doing it in places where you CAN'T save what you're writing (like Hatrack posts).

-K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> just do "control-s" every time your
> fingers pause. It becomes habit after the
> first day. I even find myself doing it in
> places where you CAN'T save what you're
> writing (like Hatrack posts).

Same here.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Robyn_Hood, I'm afraid auto save does not do what you are suggesting. The auto save does what I said in my first post...it periodically saves the current working copy in case of a failure of some sort -- power outage or crash. Basically, if Word is improperly closed the most recent backup (it does it every so many minutes, I don't remember how often) is available.

However, if Word is properly closed out, one of the things it does as a part of the proper closing is to delete the backup file. This happens wether or not you save the current changes.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
if it deletes the backup wouldn't there be a copy in the recycle bin? go there and look for a file that has the right time and date, and ignore the file name. try to recover from that.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

No, there would not be a copy in the recycle bin. The only stuff that goes into the recycle bin is the stuff that the user sends there. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it unlinks it (that's my husband's term). It is gone. FInished. Game over. Caput. No chance of recovery.
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Ctrl-s is some good advice. I do that every time I end a sentence, and I too sometimes hit it when writing posts or chatting on AIM.
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody has an Experts Exchange account, you might get the answer at http://www.experts-exchange.com/Applications/MS_Office/Word/Q_21238527.html

MS Word: Tools, Options, File Locations, Auto Save, tells you where backups are, but I didn't find any.

I'm afraid Christine is right.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also have cntl-s committed to muscle-memory. it really screwed me up when I first started the job I'm in about 6 years ago. They were using lotus products, and in cc:mail if you hit cntl-s it sends the mail. people were wondering why they kept getting these partial emails from me. Fortunately they replaced it, unfortunately, it was with outlook.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a computer expert, but this looks like it might work, if you're willing to spend $50 on it:

http://www.pcnet-online.com/downloads/docregen.htm

-K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Dakota, I'm so sorry. It's like something's died when that happens.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Oh, well. I did rewrite, but the new version just doesn't have the same sparkle as the lost original. Might have had something to do with the fact that I was severely depressed when I rewrote.

Christine
Member # 1646

Sounds like a good time for one of those 1/2-pints of ice cream and a really funny movie/show. I usually watch "The Daily Show" for a pick-me-up.

Then, when you're feeling better, maybe you can get that sparkle back. Chocolate does affect the pleasure centers of the brain, after all. (Although I'm thinkint they're the ones having to do with sexual pleasure, which may or may not be useful for this project. )

pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ben and Jerry" are wonderful friends in these times of sorrow. I watch "Friends" when I'm depressed. Totally mind-numbing and ridiculous, plus their problems always get worked out in thirty minutes or less.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
My mentor in Medical Illustration (a very wise man by the name of Jim) had this to say when I messed up a sculpture: "If you did it once, you can do it again. History says that [this particular skill/technique/sculpture section] is well within your capacity." Upon further complaint that I couldn't get it the same as I had it before I messed up: "Looks like you got a golden opportunity to go back and fix the mistakes you made the first time. So you know what I think about [insert latest political controversy/sports team victory]?" Whereupon, my other mentor, Craig, would stick his head into the lab and the two of them would have a very lively and entertaining argument while I fixed my sculpture.

I've found Jim's advice to be sound and true. Even in writing.

And by the way, there is no cooler group of people to hang out with than a bunch of artists with steady, paying jobs that allow them to use their skills.

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.