Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Oklahoma

Author Topic: Oklahoma
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
Through the majority of the story is set in Canada, I'd like to set my protag to be from a very small town in Oklahoma. I never really mentioned in the short where he's from, but a few have asked about it. His mother sees a Sasquatach and is ostraized by the town folk.

The reason I chose Oklahoma is, I've seen on TV people have claimed to have seen it there, though many are afraid to come forward. Too, it's a distance from the Pacific coast where the story is set. It's costly for the character to travel there.

Anyone familar with Oklahoma that could suggest a good match?

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

- posted      Profile for Ransom   Email Ransom         Edit/Delete Post 
You're in luck, there is an Oklahoman in the house.

Most of the Sasquatch sightings have been in the far eastern part of the state, which is pretty heavily wooded. Really, the best idea for you is to look at the map. Any little town you find south and east of Lake Eufala (the really big one) will suit your purpose fine. Plus, if you have it close to the lake, you could have some dramatic scenes that water can provide.

Hope I've been of service.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Sasquatach is more prominent in the Redwoods in Coastal-Northern California and the Forests in Washington State. I was just in the Redwoods and they have stuff all over the place there.

I'm not trying to deter you from Oklahoma, and maybe there are lots of Big Foot sightings there too, but I just thought I'd throw that in. Sorry I don't know more about Oklahoma--It's where the wind comes sweeping down the plain, and the waving wheat can sure smell sweet... I could sing you the song, but that's about it.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverfoot
Member # 2608

- posted      Profile for Silverfoot   Email Silverfoot         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pixy, don't be mocking the state song now, y'here? *grin*

I lived in Okalahoma when I was a kid but we were more central and I don't remember hearing about the sasquatch stuff then. Of course I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere... I could tell you a bit about small town life from a pre-teen perspective but that would be about it for me.

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Oklahoma too. I've only been here for almost two years and haven't heard of the Sasquatch thing down here. Heck, I don't even know where Lake Eufala is.

Are you saying it's closer to like Ft. Smith than anything or what?

Just curious on the specifics of this.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Where in Canada is your setting?

If it's anywhere close to the Rockies in either Alberta or B.C., there are Sasquatch sightings all the time -- sort of. The Sasquatch is the mascot for Creston, B.C., beer -- Kokanee.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
There was a supposed sighting in northern Manitoba within the last year as well.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

If you try to walk from Oklahoma City to Ft. Smith, you find it can't be done, because there's a puddle of immense proportions standing in your way. Take a look at an atlas, study it, breathe it, live it, and understand the geography of the Sooner State, grasshopper. Then you will be ready.
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
For the 5 years I spent in Tusla, the two in Tahlequah and the (I'm not telling) years that I spent in OKC/Moore I learned that there are only a few important geography points:
I-35 will get you to Dallas and Kansas (and left to Denver, CO)
I-40 takes you to California in a few days or Arkansas
If you don't see red dirt, you probably wandered out of Oklahoma county.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

Hey, no fair! There's red dirt all over the place here, and I live in Cleveland county! Back off!
JmariC
Member # 2698

I survived it, so :P
Red dirt in Cleveland is because it stuck to the boots of the people going to the Ren-Faire or on thru to Texas.

Ransom
Member # 2712

And the red dirt in OKC is because of, um, because of, the, uh, the blood of your children! No, wait, sorry, take that back.

Um...

Red dirt in OKC is all you've got left after eroding your topsoil and having it all blown away in the dust bowl! Stupid non-conservationists.

Gee, I'm not very good at this comeback thing, am I?

OH! I know! What kind of Oklahoman would ever even -want- to go to Texas? Traitor! Hah!

[This message has been edited by Ransom (edited July 13, 2005).]

JmariC
Member # 2698

It's ok if your not good at comebacks.
I'll forgive you.

The cute thing about the last one is that I didn't leave Oklahoma for Texas, I spent my young childhood there, instead I left for California (where my family is). Of course now I'm in Virginia. >grumble<

I am not the traitor you were looking for.. *feel the Jedi power yet? No? must be broken*

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to merge two small town names so that you don't have to get any details of the small town right.

RE: Tahlequah. I went there for a puppetry festival and was stunned to discover that it has the burial place of Mr. Ed.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

I've lived in Oklahoma too long. You mentioned that Tahlequah was a small town, and my first thought was, what? no it's not.

Then, upon further study, I find that it has a population of about 15,000. That's pretty sizeable around here, where the smallest towns have like 20, and don't even get their own zip code.

That's good advice, though. Fictional towns aren't that bad, especially since it only takes a few years for towns to be born and die around here, and thus your story is still believable, and remains undated. Thart sminking.

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
<Where in Canada is your setting?>

Robyn_Hood,

It's in an unspecified point along the Pacific coast, the character stumbles upon a remote miner communitiy that has been cut off from civilizaiton.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
We have buttloads of Big Foot sightings in this neck of the woods (Oregon/Washington). Not far from here in Washington State, in the forests on Mt. Adams is a place the native americans named Cultus Creek. The word "cultus" in Chinook means bad or evil. Named thus due to the big foot sightings.

Oregon also has a lot of abandoned mines. There was once a gold rush in the area of Baker City and the Blue Mountains. The Dalles actually has building that was built for a mint around the turn of the century, but the project was abandoned when the gold rush ran out. Now the Mint building is being used for storage.

In regards to Oklahoma, while I've never been there, my dad was born in a little place called Petit, OK. As I understand it, he was born in a tent while my granddad was working nearby. Sure wish I could figure out where Petit is - cause it ain't on any map *I* have ever examined. Probably somewhere near Talequah, because that's where my ancestors migrated to from Cherokee Co., NC. (isn't genealogy grand?)

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Your character could be from the UK.
We've got Sasquatach living here in Derbyshire.

Frankly, I dont see what the big deal is. They look more like apes than humans, they cause quite a nuisance to the motorists. Trying to flag us down for bananas on the way back from Sainsbury's.

[This message has been edited by benskia (edited July 14, 2005).]

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

The next time I flag you don't for a bannana you'd better give it to me...
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Agh! because of this topic, I can't get that stupid state song from that dumb musical out of my mind.

No, I'm not talking about "Oklahoma." I wouldn't mind that, really.

I'm talking about "Oh, Yes! Wyoming!."

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you include the link so the rest of us can have the song stuck in our heads, too?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to get a song out of your head is to get it into someone else's.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I found this article rather timely:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45267

Maybe it has some Sasquatch information you can use.

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

Wow, that link was great. I'm hoping the story captures the essense of the article. I'm in the process of revision-- implementing critiques-- and then it'll be time to ship it out-- and recieve rejection...
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Yeti is good, he helps people, you see," Ram told WorldNetDaily. "He is like Jesus. Only you don't get to eat the Yeti; the Yeti gets to eat you – if you are bad.

Some interesting articles there.

Other than that, I second (or third, fourth, fifth, whatever) the fictional town idea. Then you can be as wacky as you like, and if anyone recognizes their town, you can still claim innocence.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

If you really want to capture smalltown feel, you have to get the idea of festivals. Every small town in the world has its own festival, an obscure excuse for celebrating that nobody else has got - Peaches, Pecans, Blackberries, Bluegrass music, Magnolias, Gene Autry films, Wine, Children's Cowboy Festival, Italian festival, Czech festival. The list goes on. These usually include feasting and at least one parade.

You should make a local festival in your town, maybe a Cactus Festival, or some such thing.

pixydust
Member # 2311

I lived in a small town in Oregon for a year. Long Creek (pronounced crik, just for fun), Pop. 150 (during hunting season). They LOVE potlucks. And the county fair is the place to be. Anyone who's anyone sings in the talent show.

Elan
Member # 2442

Where the heck is Long Creek, pixie? I'm from The Dalles and I thought I'd heard of every place in Oregon.

County fairs, jam sessions with bluegrass and folk music. In my area we celebrate: cherry festival, huckleberry festival, the fruit loop tour (through apple and pear orchard valleys), bluebird festival, pioneer days. In September we'll be having Historic The Dalles Days with a Mountain Man Rendezvous and Black Powder Shoot.
I'm doing the website: http://www2.netcnct.net/historictd
Oh - don't forget the plethora of rodeos and pow-wows. And there are ghost towns and abandoned gold mines. And there are museum tours of every little podunk shack from here to points in the far east (known as Idaho). Our friends from Europe would be quite amazed at what we consider "historic" here - if it's a hundred years old, it's a national treasure.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited July 14, 2005).]

pixydust
Member # 2311

Long Creek is about 90mi from Pendalten, OR. Off the 395 on the John Day River. Our property is on the North Fork of the John Day. I miss it. We can't live there for now, because of money. There are NO jobs out there, unless you are a hunting guide or a cattle rancher. My husband is a cop (In addition to being a painting contractor, construction genius, and an excelent lawn mower. ) so he can usually get a job anywhere, but it's a whole different world out there.

So, we're back in sunny coastal California, trying to sell our ranch out there. It's very sad.

Hey, does anyone want to buy 90ac in Beautiful Eastern Oregon? I'm selling cheap.

Elan
Member # 2442

Heh... I know that area... my family owns a cabin just south of Pendleton, and I have family who live along the John Day river in Kimberly ... or, BF Egypt as we say.

You like rocks? The John Day Fossil beds are incredible. Central Oregon has a bizarre beauty all its own, and bears no resemblance to the wet ancient rain forest of the Cascades. Western Oregon and Eastern Oregon could be on different planets. The climates are in no way remotely similar.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.