Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Supply

Author Topic: Supply
Shawshank
Member # 2729

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've been thinking about writing something lately- and it keeps bothering me- so I figured I'd write. Basically- two kids (17 around) leave their town to go to explore and to "learn about the world". It takes place in about 1890's era- however, the two of them do not take any sort of pack animals- they just go themselves. And they have their primary supplies, everything else they'll just have to get from the wild or maybe buy from some random trade shop along their journey. They can really only carry around what is on their backs.

So my question is: What are the most essential supplies they would need, things that would help them get other supplies from the wild or from the random person they may come across? Is what I'm asking feasible at all? What are some items that you can't really get from the wild?

~~Shawshank

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what they can get from the wild depends heavily on where the wilds are?
If it is a created world, does it relate to any known place?
For example, in the 1890's you wouldn't find many oranges or other citrus in the plains states.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ransom
Member # 2712

- posted      Profile for Ransom   Email Ransom         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, everything depends on where these kids are. The differences between Pacific Coast, Southwest, Rocky Mountains, Great Plains, Central Plains, Southeast, Appalachia, Atlantic Seaboard, and New England are all readily apparent today, and back then they were downright frightening. If they're in New England, you can forget a really good hike - long, cold winters and dense population mean that resources are scarce. Circumstances are better on the Midatlantic, the Ohio Valley, and the Pacific - especially the Pacific. Then, as today, you didn't get very far without money, because most people don't realize how much processing is needed to make a product.

So my brother and I are going on a wilderness trek, starting in, say, California. We'll need immediate food supplies, but since beef is scarce in this part of the country, we'll pack fish and fruit and eat sparingly. The north part of the state, and on up into Oregon and Washington, water is fairly common, so a couple of canteens will do for that, though rationing is still required. At least one change of clothes in the wet seasons, and as you get further north, throughout the wet year, and you can't imagine how useful a knife and hatchet are.

But here's something you can think about: itenerant workers. No teenager, especially back in the 19th century, was without his/her talents. If your characters are good at working with wood, or metal, or leather, or are strong lifters, or know somethinga about hunting or fishing, they can make moeny at any town they come to, and this will keep them doing very well. Every town, especially in the undeveloped far west, was in need of someone to fill positions in society. This also makes for wonderful plotlines.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it's 1890's then you're going to have to figure out just what your kids will be doing. They wouldn't really use pack animals at all. That was the time of the "Iron Horse". Trains that is. They'd probably stow away on a train west. Also, you're past the time period of cowboys and such. Think orville and wilbur wright time period and you'll be close. What would they need? Some bread, some money. Really, it depends on their social background. Are they wealthy spoiled kids who decide to run off? They'd probably take some money with them, and that would give you an interesting little set up later on if they ran out of money and for the first time they had to earn it themselves. If they are poorer, what would they take? Are they religious? Would they take maybe an icon or something. Family photo? Food obviously, but they probably don't have the forsight to pack enough. Bread, cheese maybe. I don't know. I doubt they'd have a gun, but maybe a knife? Hope this helps though.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 2729

It's somewhat based off real America- but the geography is different. They still have to worry about natives- and the amount of people and where they live (urban, rural) is about the same. I was thinking across pretty hilly terrain- with lots of forests, and eventually end up in a place like the Appalachians. But perhaps with more lakes. And I was thinking they would go out west to see some more of those frontier towns.

And the town they come from- its a small town on the rise. Off near some large lake or river, with more people moving west- they are using it as a stopping place on their way out there, making business and population rise. Perhaps about 1,500 people and growing.

As for character abilities- I'd envision that one was a bit of an intellectual, maybe an amateur cartographer, and also pretty well-read and also able to pick up languages pretty quickly- a natural interpertator. While the other one would be more really resourceful- come up with something pretty easily and also a pretty good sailor. Good at the sails of a boat, and a natural mechanic- so he has sort of a natural inclination to understand how machinery operate.

Maybe that's a bit more to go on?

[This message has been edited by Shawshank (edited July 13, 2005).]

Ransom
Member # 2712

- posted      Profile for Ransom   Email Ransom         Edit/Delete Post 
So we've got a township that reminds us of western Missouri in terrain that is more Appalachian.

There's going to be lots of cattle, if not local, than imported on the budding railroads. I'd say your characters would do very well to stock up on beef jerky, and bread wouldn't be too hard to find, either. Butter and cheese would come with the beef, but these wouldn't last very long in backpacks. Tins of salt and pepper and lesser spices could save them their sanity. Again, a good knife and hatchet will be required, and a fire-flint would come in very handy. Water is going to be scarcer, so they'll need at least four canteens between the two of them. They might find nuts and berries in the woods. Changes of clothes, something solid, probably leather, to keep the rain off, and very solid boots. In a booming town, it's arguable whether or not they'd have much money. And if they have a trade, any tools that come with that. That's all I can think of.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
Guns. Definitely guns.

But really! I'm serious. Boys in that time usually owned a gun and knew how to use it. Remember the book "Summer of the Monkeys?" All Jay Berry wanted was a pony and a 22. (Sorry if I wrote the gun description down wrong. Not exactly my area of expertise, and my DH is not here to ask.)

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Story of Mary Ingalls (I think that's the name): she escaped from the Shawnee in early 1800's I think it was, maybe earlier, and made her way from OH to VA. Rough terrain. Good reading. If your world is more civilized, it may not be needed.

Guns. Fire-making equipment. Good weather-protecting clothes. If it were me, I'd check out wilderness survival manuals, esp. if you can find one from a while back (maybe the Boy Scouts' Fieldbook).

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Pack them like a soldier. Or maybe they were conscripts who deserted.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaAnn
Member # 2727

- posted      Profile for LisaAnn           Edit/Delete Post 
And if there are natives around they may have grown up knowing about pemmican cakes (dried meat and fruit) which is, highly portable and very nutritious.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the two most important things: Soemthing to start a fire with, and something to cook in. It may be a simple frying pan, they would probably plan to catch any game they can find and cook it. Oh, and salt was the most valuable thing on Earth to a traveler. Witout it, food would spoil in no time. Of course, rope is valuable, as are simple hooks to attach caught game to their backpacks to transport to the next campsite.
Good luck!

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Your description sounds like you might be thinking of the wrong time period. Also, you haven't answered the all important question of where these fellows are wandering.

By the 1890's, America was already getting pretty well settled. Probably most the towns that exist today (and a good many that don't exist anymore) were around back then, if a bit smaller. This is well after the Civil War, well after railroads, during the electrification period.

If either of them has good survival skills, then all they really need is a good knife. If both have excellent survival skills, then they don't need squat. If neither has survival skills, then they can't live off the land, and that's that. And given that you've chosen the 1890's as your setting, they probably don't need to do so. Cheerful faces and a saleable skill or two would be all they'd need (and they don't really need either of those).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Mary Ingles

The book about her is FOLLOW THE RIVER by James Alexander Thom. Very interesting and worth reading. (I read it while living not far from that river. I wondered what she would have thought if she could have seen how much things had changed.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
As for what to take, I'm with Abby:

flint and steel for starting a fire
something to cut wood with
something to kill and prepare meat with (preferrably more than one kind of thing--fishing gear, hunting gear, gutting knife, etc)
something to boil water in
something to carry water in
something else to cook food in
rope
salt
something to keep warm and dry in
a compass

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 14, 2005).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Having a knife is crucial - something to cut with.

You don't need pots and pans - the native americans used to cook in hollowed out stones or baskets by heating up rocks and dropping the hot rocks in water to make it boil. The water keeps the basket from burning.

One of the best all time series of books on survival techniques has been written by Tom Brown, Jr. His first book, called "The Tracker" tells how he was trained to track by a Native American man who he came to know as Grandfather. He is an incredible person, and the things he tells about tracking are fascinating. He's written autobiography (The Tracker) and technical field guides about tracking. He was the consultant on the movie "The Hunted" which was in theaters a couple of years ago (filmed in the Portland, Oregon area). He also does consulting with law enforcement to track escaped prisoners and threatening stalkers. He writes about going into places like Death Valley, and surviving quite handily with only a knife and a small bit of plastic and a cup. The plastic is formed into a cone and becomes a condensation collector for water.

Anyhow, if you want to brush up on survival techniques, especially ones used by native americans, this is the author to read!

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to differ with Survivor here. It really depends on where in the country. There are places today where you need survival skills if you get stranded, and our infrastructure is far superior to 1890. Consider deep in a national forest in northern Wisconsin or Minnesota. Consider the mountains of Montana.
Consider the bayou of Louisiana. Consider the desert to the southwest of Tucson. If it were so easy to survive, there wouldn't be hundreds of dead illegal immigrants every single year in Arizona, even in the winter. If you've ever driven I-8 between Casa Grande, Arizona (between Phoenix and Tucson) and San Diego, California, you know exactly how desolate some places still are.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 2729

Thanks everybody! The help has been really helpful, well then again- I guess that would be the point of help- to be helpful....
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, it depends on whether you have skills or not. Most people don't these days.

In this day and age, we've developed a superior technology for getting stranded. It would actually be a lot harder to get stranded in the 1890's, if you wanted to be stranded somewhere away from civilization, you had to walk there first

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in the Appalachians. Did you know that Lavendar oil helps keep mosquitos away? Bugs are bad in these mtns.

They would also want extra socks and GREAT boots. Fishing line. And possibly a good hound dog. Most folks in these regions would have at least one musical instrument to pass the evenings (harmonica, banjo, dulcimer, guitar, mouth-harp, etc.---an upside down pot would do). A needle and thread, both for patches and briars/splinters. Alcohol of some sort, although they'd be liable to stumble upon someone's still.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.