Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Achieving Realism...

Author Topic: Achieving Realism...
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
...Without direct experience. I try to do it. Professional authors I've read attempt to (and usually succeed, especially when they have had some experience in certain situations). But how realistic can we truly make scenes based on concepts we have never personally experienced?

I've been wrestling with this question a lot over the past few months...especially since my writing interests took on a more military-leaning form. I genuinely enjoy writing military SF, and some fantasy with medieval-type warfare. But should I be writing it? Should I expect it to come out sounding authentic?

I have not been in the military...obviously, I have not been in combat. I have no real idea of what that feels like. Of what kinds of emotions course through you when that lethal realm is entered. I’m sure I do not have the mindset of a soldier, yet I frequently try to create characters who possess such a trait. How am I supposed to accurately capture the camraderie of brothers in arms when I've not been there? When I haven’t heard the bullets snapping over my head, or felt the anguish of losing friends and the force of fear in my chest? These few meager descriptions are only from my private speculation. I have no idea if even that is accurate, though I suspect it cannot possibly come close.

So what say you? Within this particular context, how should I go about achieving realism in my favorite writing genre (even if it is one I have no real business engaging in)? Perhaps I'm being a bit melodramatic here. That's probably it. I just feel very strongly about keeping my stories as true to life and death as possible. If possible. Any thoughts?

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You need a reader who is experienced and can tell you where you are believable, and where you look like a fool.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Research can be a useful tool in this instance. Here's a government site dedicated to post-tramatic stress in vetrans: http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/ It might give you some good ideas.

In this kind of situation, I try to draw on memories that might be similar in a way. I've never been in a batallion, but I can remember the comraderie I felt with a small group of friends as we struggled through our first year of college -- they were like my sisters. And while college isn't the same as war...I'd extrapolate from something like that. There isn't one "correct" way to respond to warfare, besides. People handle it differently, just like people handle the death of loved ones differently.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Inkwell,

I was in the military, but I went in the April after "Desert Storm". However, my father, as well as my wife's father, were both over there in Iraq and Saudia Arabia. My dad had a real hard time around anything that backfired for a while. I remember once while we visited his uncle something backfired or a gun went off and he ducked, spun, and looked for where it came from.

Back to the subject. He told me of a few times that he and some of his men were out clearing bunkers ( too graphic for this public forum), but I almost threw up because of his details.

I also think you could ask HSO too.

If you are going for realism, I'm sure you could go to a VFW post sometime and ask the veterans there how things were.

Heck if you're desperate, contact your local military base/recruiter or whomever and ask them if you could pick their brain for some insight on things that you're writing about.

Just some thoughts

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the suggestions people have mentioned about research, the other useful tool is try to find and analogy with your own experience. OSC talks about this in Character and Viewpoint.

Say that I'm writing about a sword fight with trolls. I'm not going to find an expert to tell me about fighting trolls. I've never been in one, likely never will be. In fact, I've only been in two fights that got physical, but I remember those very vividly. So I can use my remembered sensations of rage, adrenalin and how time seemed to fragment.

But my warrior is trained, so that would have a effect, right? So I search my memories for something analogous to being physically adept and strong, something that is difficult. For me that winds up being working the puppet for Little Shop of Horrors. It weighs between 80-125 pounds and pushes me right to the edge of my abilities, but I'm good at it. So I take those sensations of exertion, the doubt that I'll get through the show, the masochistic pride in being able to do it.

Then I couple those two memories to make a guess at what my character would be feeling.

I dissected cats and pigs in highschool. I've prepped chicken; I've had a nasty accident with a chisel. I know what a blade feels like sliding through flesh. And it's easy to extrapolate how that would change if it in combat based on my other analogous memories. The trolls would have tougher skin, my warrior would have armor...

It all becomes much more manageable if I only have to imagine small differences between my own experiences instead of trying to imagine the whole shebang. Make sense?

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Corvus
Member # 2632

- posted      Profile for Corvus   Email Corvus         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Miriel, but also suggest focusing on each instance. Is this Kermit the Frog going into battle, or Zorba the Greek? A given character's reactions might be dictated by personality, history, the reason (s)he's there to begin with, or even just the requirements of the plot. (She obviously can't loose her cool here because right afterward she's going to pretend to her commander that everything is fine over holo-phone, so I'll have a convenient prankster spike her orange juice that morning . . . This is the fight where he picks up his scar, so he should be shaky, maybe the sword feels heavier than normal or time seems to go faster or the troll seems smarter . . .)
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always felt that raising teenagers gave me a good sense of battle fatigue.

(My apologies to those of you who ARE teenagers, but once you get to be an old fart like me with teenagers of your own, you'll know what I mean.)

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone's different.

I never felt anything like what a human is supposed to feel in combat. The closest I've come is getting a shot of epinephrine at the dentist's office. It was exciting and very peculiar, probably nothing like the human experience, but it's the only close data point I have.

So I don't write much about what humans feel in combat. When I do, I'm winging it. What is it like to not be aware of your own mortality and then be reminded of death? I cannot know. My feelings when my body loses function due to damage or when it is mistreated by others simply doesn't compare to the human fear of death.

So what to do? Get the details right, the concrete physical details of what happens in combat. Let that support your subjective take on how it feels to be in danger from an enemy.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.