Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Alias Time!

Author Topic: Alias Time!
Kalvin
Member # 2630

- posted      Profile for Kalvin   Email Kalvin         Edit/Delete Post 
OKay, well, in my story, I sometimes jump to the antagonists perspective, however, at the time our hero thinks of him as an ally and is only revealed as a **AHEM** Bad guy near the end. Now, in these chapters he meets with some of his allys, and they speak his name often, but I don't want the reader to know of his deception (who he really is).
GOT IT?
GOOD!
Anyway, well writing this, I kept using the words "the man" and others to avoid using his actual name...
Is there a way to avoid this?
I know an Alias is an option. After all, I've seen star wars.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Not really a way to do that without deliberately violating POV and your reader's trust. I'd recommend that you don't.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalvin
Member # 2630

- posted      Profile for Kalvin   Email Kalvin         Edit/Delete Post 
POV?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Is jumping to the antagonists point of view necessary? It sounds like you will deliberately be withholding info from the reader if you do, and many people frown on that sort of thing.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
POV = Point of View
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Kalvin,

How long of a piece of work is this? I have a situation very similar to this in the novel I am writing, but I'm not keeping that from the reader. In fact, the reader should be amused by the mean old bad guys pretending to be nice. It is even critical to the plot because one of the bad guys has a change of heart after living with the good guys for a year.

If you want the reader to believe the bad guys are good guys, you absolutely MUST stay in the human point of view. The reason is that once you move to a point of view that knows the details, you MUST tell the reader those details. If you don't, the reader will feel cheated and probably not read anything else you write. That is important, because only JK Rowling, Stephen King, and a few others can live off the income of only one of their books, and to get there, they had to build a loyal fan base by writing many books.

And remember, on a novel, the basic plot will be on the back cover and perhaps even the front cover. There will likely be a picture you don't like, that doesn't look anything like your aliens gracing the front cover. So the readers will probably know about your aliens, whether you tell them or not.

My suggestion is that you either make it clear that the aliens are pretending so the reader can watch the humans figure out the plot, otherwise stay very close to the humans and keep the alien secret from the humans so you don't have to tell the reader. But, as soon as the humans learn the truth, so does the reader.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Spaceman, I don't think Kalvin said anything about using aliens in his story.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
What other people have said, about not trying to hide his identity from the reader, is probably good advice. I have yet to see a story where the payoff from hiding the bad guys identity was worth it. Not counting mysteries, where the point is to figure out whodunnit, and even then the criminals POV is almost never invoked.

You will heighten the tension in your story if the reader knows something the protagonist doesn't.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Heh heh. My perspective is fogged due to the similarity with what I'm doing. Somebody slap me around.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Me! Me! Can I do it?
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

I'll just let you critique my next story. Slap away.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.