Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Raise your hands if you've finished HP #6 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Raise your hands if you've finished HP #6
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, it's been out for two whole days now, so how many have finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince? Go on, raise your hands.

<raises hand>

For the record, I thought it was quite good, much better than the fifth book, which I found disappointing. That's all I'll say about it for now. If I say anything else, I promise to turn the spoiler warning on.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished it on Saturday. The writing was stronger this time, and she's set up some interesting challenges for the final book.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah.
I kind of lost it with the HP books.
I tried to read the fifth and gave up after a few pages.
There were so many people all reintroduced at once and I had forgotten who they all were, so it was too difficult (blimey, its a kids book too) for me to grasp what was going on.
I'm not saying this in some kind of pretencious I read proper books kind of a way (especially since now I find Harry Potter too complicated to take in), but to be honest, I dont see what all the fuss is about.

Not everybody's tastes are similar though eh?

P.S. Christine, I had an extra question I just added to your writing class article. Thought I'd let you know on here, 'cos its probably not one of the boards that's checked very often.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm finished woth book one. Maybe I'll get to book two someday!
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dandelion
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Dandelion           Edit/Delete Post 
Got it, haven't started it yet. I was told that I'm a Bad Harry Potter Fan because I ordered from Amazon and didn't even open the box until Sunday night.

I intend to read it asap, so I don't accidentally hit any spoilers..

Lisa

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen! Please, please, please add the words Harry Potter to the topic title so that those of us who have not read it yet won't open this by mistake.

I'm trying so hard to stay untainted before I get my copy.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not read the entirety of any of the HP books. Too juvenile and too cliche for my tastes. Crown of Stars on the other hand... Book Six early next month, I already have it on pre-order. (Up to now I'd been borrowing from the library, I've decided that I'm going to actually attempt to collect Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars series )
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to be a martyr and let my hubbie read HP6 before me. I am babysitting five children and assorted plants and animals for a week and I am an hour away from home. So only one of us could get the new copy, and I knew I'd have less time than my husband so I let him take it. But I've been getting the impression that it is more satisfying than 5, which is a good thing. I was pretty frustrated with parts of 5, though I have still read it multiple times.

I am actually reading 4 aloud to all the kids I am babysitting, since they are on the movie schedule and care more about when it comes out than about book 6.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
<raises hand>
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird. I thought I'd reserved the book at the library (what, me buy a book? What a radical idea), but after checking the online database, I find that I haven't. Yet I distincly remember doing so more than half a year ago. As with Magic Street, I reserved it the moment I heard of it.

This displeases me. Now, I'm at the bottom of a 1,700-person list.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have it sitting in my room waiting. I guess I'm a "bad" Harry Potter fan too cause I didn't open it until last night. But I can't start it until I know that I can just sit and read it without interruption. To be honest I was a bit disappointed by 5 as well. I'm glad to hear 6 is going to be worth the time. Four was the best so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do to it on film.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
<would like to raise hands, but amazon failed to deliver book on time, so will have to wait> (sigh)
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Well, I was deeply disappointed by the Big Plot Twist in 6, but have read a number of theories about how it will be re-twisted in the final book. I'll be really crushed if she doesn't re-twist that particular thread.

dpatridge
Member # 2208

Kind of amazing how many HP fans there are here... hmm... so maybe cliche and juvenile fiction AREN'T such a bad thing... Too bad I'd hate myself too much while writing, at least with the juvenile part. The cliche, though, I love cliche's as long as they have an interesting enough take.

*Scurries away before the HP fan-mob notices him and attacks the lone person who does not care for the series.*

Beth
Member # 2192

No, no, we appreciate you stopping by to tell us you think we're reading crap. Thanks!
dpatridge
Member # 2208

When did I say it was "crap"?

It just doesn't work for me, I've got no problem with other people reading it, and as far as plot goes it doesn't seem too bad.

The writing style, on the other hand, just isn't what I personally care for. Obviously it works for some people, though.

Beth
Member # 2192

Right.
Christine
Member # 1646

Beth, will you do me a favor and put a spoiler warning on your post a couple of posts up...it's definitely in a shade of gray but seeing as how the book's only been out for two and a half days I want to be extra careful not to ruin anything for anybody.

I figured I'd wait a couple weeks and then have a proper discussion, but for now I was just curious how many other finatics there were out there.

dpartridge: There are a lot of reasons people choose not to read books and we are all entitled to our opinions. I read your comments as opinions, but it never hurts to say reiterate that something is your opinion. I did not personally find the books to be cliche and as to juvenille...yes and no, especially as the series wears on. They seem to grow up with the characters.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 18, 2005).]

Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
<raises hand>

I finished it this morning.

I cannot get going today because I can't stop thinking about it. I promise not to leak anything. Let's just say that I had no idea that a new HP book could effect me to this extent-- even though I am a rabid HP fan. (I awoke each day telling my dear children how many days left until HBP was released! )

Now I have to bite my tongue and patiently read it aloud to my family each evening without dropping even the tiniest hints. It's taking a herculean effort to keep my lip buttoned!

*SIGH*

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
I am re-reading the first five before I get book six. Today, in book 2, I just caught a potential plot twist and wonder if that is one of the new ones in book 6? I can hardly wait to get there to find out. hopefully sometime next week!
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
<Looks around wondering if he's the only one who hasn't read any of the books>

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
<raises hand>

I'm looking forward to being able to talk about it.

Abby, what did you read in book 2 that made you think of a potential plot twist? It could be a plot twist that comes earlier in the series. (For the sake of potential spoilers, don't say what you think the plot twist is, just tell us what you read.) I don't think you need to worry about spoiler warnings because Spaceman will probably forget what you say before he gets around to reading book 2.

I liked it better than 5 because Harry has stopped acting like a frustrated teenager (and I don't think that needs a spoiler warning). The frustrated teenager part was what made book 5 less enjoyable for me.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 18, 2005).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

quote:
<Looks around wondering if he's the only one who hasn't read any of the books>

You mean you haven't read ANY of the books? Not even the first couple of pages of the first book? I can honestly say that I couldn't make it past the first several pages of the first book and some additional skimming to try to see if it got any better. For me, please note, I will never presume to be the end-all be-all judge of good stories, but I have my own tastes, and HP just doesn't seem to fit them.

Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of them either, although I'll probably get around to it at some point.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought it for my wife's birthday this week, and haven't opened it. I am lukewarm about the series, but still read them.

Now if you want to talk about really poor work, let's talk about Star Wars. I got up and walked out of the first movie when it came out so many years ago. I take my kids to them now and try to sleep through the movies. The kids are embarassed by me. I just grin and do my best to look feeble-minded. They move away and won't look at me until they run out of popcorn.

ET wasn't quite that bad, but it was close. No, it was worse, but at least we weren't hammered with further episodes.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious -- what is it exactly that makes those above not like Harry Potter and/or Star Wars? In critiques, we try not to just say "I like it," or "I didn't." And "cliched" and "juvenile" aren't very specific either -- why did you find it cliched and juvenile? What bothered you about it? To not be hypocritical, I'll list a few reasons why I love Harry Potter: people are described in simple, economical terms, often with metaphor, that makes their appearance vivid and easy to imagine and remember. The prose is simple, quick, and uncluttered. I also enjoy the unexpect things that crop up: Dumbledore enjoying knitting magazines for example -- and Fudge having a pinstriped-cloak. Those little details give the world depth and reality. Not to mention Hermionie is riddiculously awesome.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

There are things that I loathe about the HP books. Rowling's writing is often clumsy and bloated. She's often prone to using adverbs in dialog attributions - it's all "Harry said bravely, Hermione said brusquely" until you just want to smack her. Her antagonists are one-dimensional - look at Dolores Umbridge in the last book - just ridiculous characatures of evil. Quiddich is boring and gets far too much space in the books. Her writing is often bloated and wandering and full of plot holes. Her magical world is about a quarter of an inch deep.

But her heroes are complex and fallible and very real and likeable, the pacing is excellent, and she drops enough hints to keep even the most analytical obsessive happily occupied. And I like her anti-bureaucratic political stance. She effectively portrays the values of love and courage without getting revoltingly moralistic and sappy.

I loathed The DaVinci Code, too, but couldn't put it down. Some books are like that.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
With regards to Harry Potter, the writing gets in the way at times. At other times, I am lost in her world.

Any time that I can just sit and enjoy my boys analyzing every last little detail of how to effectively 'swish and flick', I thank her.

I read the books for others more than for myself.

With regards to Star Wars, many of us SF fans were excited that finally there was a chance to see cinema whose technology could more realistically portray what we read. We felt that finally the technology had caught up to imagination. We felt that others would share our wonder in the science and the challenges of living in space.

And then Lucas made starfighters. And made them clumsy rehashes of World War II fighter planes. And made them bank against an atmosphere that wasn't there, and echo gunfire off the vast canyons of the Deathstar.

We were cheated, and so were you.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 18, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Star Wars is great fun to watch if you pause your brain, in the same way the old Twilight Zone was fun if you turned your brain on.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm lucky. I'm easily able to suspend my disbelief and can really get into enjoying a story without dissecting it. I've only read two of the HP books so far, but I had fun with both. There may have been flaws but I didn't see them, I just let myself have fun with the story.

My dad is a compulsive "critical reader". Sometimes he seems to read more for the enjoyment he gets in finding an author's mistake, or guessing the ending halfway through, than just to take off with a good story.

An example that always comes to mind is OSC's Enders Game. I loved the book, especially the ending. Knowing my dad is a sci-fi buff, I gave it to him when I was done. By 1/3 of the way through he basically had the whole plot figured out. To me that would totally ruin the story experience.

Some people just read that way. I don't, and I believe it makes reading generally more enjoyable for me. On the other hand, it may explain why I'm not much of a writer (yet).

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
Kathleen - In the last part of book 2 Dumbledore is talking to Harry about his resemblances to Lord Voldemort. I picked up on a word or two there, and the fact that Dumbledore said her was not ready to know something yet. What does he know he isn't ready to tell? Anyway, I am sure the plot twists in Book 6 will have something to do with it, or maybe book 7. It may be as he graduates, he finally finds out something important that no other wizard except Dumbledore knows about his past, and his family. Again, pure speculation.

Of course, I enjoy the books as light reading. It is relaxing to me to just read and see what happens next, not having to worry about keeping everything straight in my head as in some more complex novels. I do enjoy them too, though in a different way.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

All of the problems that Beth so kindly highlighted for me are quite accurate.

For some reason she is able to look beyond it, but I am not.

TETO has always been my favorite acronym, what it means is "to each their own." I also, in my familiar style, pronounce it "tea-toe." What's the point in spelling an acronym out when it just begs to be pronounced phonetically?

Christine
Member # 1646

First a note about HP, especially in regards to what Beth and dpartridge have been saying:

Couldn't agree more about the adverbs. Her heros are rich and colorful, but I do not *entirely* agree about the 2-dimensional bad guys.

Here's the thing, and it is one of my favorite things about the series: Book 1 is written for 11-year-olds. Book 2, for 12, book 3, for 13, book four, for 14...

As each book grows up, as the characters grow up, and as the audience grows up, the characters begin to depen. In book one Voldemort is just theevil dark wizard. But that's how an 11-year-old would perceive him. I remember trying to explain to someone that age that sometimes someone could be good and bad at the same time. They didn't understand. Younger is hopeless. Older, they can begin to gleam something.

In fact, for all the "plot holes" thrown at the fact that Dumbledore did not tell Harry enough things, I frankly can understand (partially...until the 5th book) what he did. Harry might not have been a child, but he wasn't a man either and he wasn't ready to understand how the world works. He wasn't ready to understand how a man could not be an "evil dark wizard" and still be so cruel and throw people pell-mell into prison. (Book 4)

No, I am impressed with the ways that the chracters, especially the evil characters, are deepening as a growing adult's perceptions would. The fourth and fifth books did a fairly good job of beginning to show what was really behind the death eater's masks. I won't say anything about the sixth book here.

So 2-d characters? no. Not even the bad guys. Not even Delores Umbridge. Frankly, there are people lik eher in the world.

STAR WARS:

Mike, I agree with you. They suck. I didn't realize it fully until the prequels came out because I watched the originals as a child and everyone else said they were cool and I had to think so too and I read far more undercurrents of plot and romance into them than was actually there. But they are mediocre at best.

In fact, I'm sick of people going to movies for the special effects. We're cheapening the movie industry for not expecting more. Special effects caught up with plot, eh? Seems to me that spcial effects took over for it and I won't have it anymore. I did not see Episode 3 in the theatres. I don't go to a movie in the theatres unless it looks very good, and when people tell me "you have to see it on the big screen"I can only assume they mean that all it has are special effects, because plot shows up on my TV quite well, thank you.

That was something of a rant, wasn't it?

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 19, 2005).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, abby. Some of the information Dumbledore is referring to comes out earlier than book 6. Rowling gives us more information and then more as we go along in the books.

dee_boncci, I guess I'm more of a critical reader. I love to try to "second guess" the author. Along with that, my philosophy is that if the book is worth reading again, spoilers are not going to hurt you because the second time you read it, you know what happens anyway.

I get very impatient with how coy and secretive Lucas and Spielberg are about some of their movies because the money they make on those movies depends on people going back and seeing them over and over again. If knowing how it all turns out "spoils" the story, then why would anyone want to go see it again? There has to be more to the experience than just learning how it ends.

Of course, maybe people go back just to see the special effects over and over again. <shrug>

But I think some people reread a book not only because they want to re-experience the story and revisit the characters but because they may also want to see how the writer "did it," how the story grew and how things were set up for the reader so that the ending was satisfactory.

Christine, thanks for the observation about how the books have grown in how they are written and for whom they are written as the characters have grown. That's way cool, and I will share it with everyone who will let me tell them about it.

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first HP book and wasn't enamoured of it. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. It was a YA book, and pretty simplistic. I'm used to more complex fantasy fare. So I've not been drawn to reading any of the others.

I may have to mull over the idea of reading the extended series - the fact that the story grows up as the characters grow up might make it worth while.

The one thing that has drawn me back to see each of the MOVIES is that I thought they did a spectacular job of matching the mental imagery I had created from Book One. I thought the set, costumes, and casting were spot-on.

I have felt, with the Harry Potter series, like I've been a bit on the "outside" -- my friends have been rabid HP fans while I've been very so-so about it all.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I started writing when I was 8 or 9. All throughout high school I wrote without any care to what other people thought. I was living in my own little world and it was fun.

As an adult, I haven't been able to just have fun anymore when I write. It's all so serious. Everything has to fit, be real, be perfect. It's been a long time since I just had fun with a story.

I don't read YA, as a rule. I tried recently, after I read Harry Potter, but much of it goes the opposite extreme -- it's just stupid. It talks down to its audience, can only be read on one level, and isn't any fun for an adult.

I thought, how weird? I like Harry Potter so much, and it's YA, so why not all this other stuff? And then it hit me -- balance.

The adult world is full of complexisities. I need not turn to fiction to find them, although I enjoy finding meaningful and complex stories that I can read again and again and find new stuff each time I do. I love layers, I love real characters. What I don't like is complexity for the sake of complexitiy -- difficulty for the sake of difficulty.

Harry Potter takes me back to a simpler time but without talking down to me and without being meaningless. I've read each book at least ten times (except the fifth and sixth). I don't find must new stuff now, but always for severeal rereads I have found stuff I missed the first time, new depths, but never is it all that complex -- it's still, at its heart, a simple pleasure I don't have to work to enjoy. I can always enjoy the story on that level.

At one point in my life I wrote and read to escape. I don't know why I do those htings anymore, I've lost sight of it. But for a few brief hours as I read Harry Potter I remember a little bit of the answer. Simple and juvenille? Thank you. I needed that.

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to raise my hand that I've read and finished HP VI. It was difficult, though. Wresting the book from wife (she's on her third read-through) long enough to read three or four chapters proved daunting. But I prevailed...
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
<raises hand>

Finished it last night. It took me back to the better part of the series (ie. not book 5, which I loathed). Lots of things to satisfy long time readers of the series.

I look forward to seeing how she wraps everything up in the seventh book. And she better wrap it up at seven!

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard an interview in which J.K. Rowling said she was wrapping it up at book seven: that there would absolutely not be any books about Harry as a middled-aged man. She wanted a book for each of his years in school, no more. Hope she sticks to it.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Rowling has been quite steadfast that there would be seven books, no more, no less. She's said this for ast long as I've been paying attention and has not deviated. She's even beginning to think about what she's going to write after Harry Potter.

This is all building to a climax. I have no doubt that book 7 will finish it.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

On the growth of the story, characters, etc from book to book, it would be interesting to see how the Flesch Readability Stats rate each of the books.

As for her finishing it up with number seven, we know she can make a book as long as it needs to be without hurting the saleability of the book, and if she needs to make number seven the longest of them all, I bet no one complains unless she doesn't wrap it all up satisfactorily. I think she can do it, and I wish she'd get going already.

Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished it.

I have to say that for me, the first four books had a "fairy tail" feel to them. They were much more light hearted, despite the dangers. I guess I'm in the minority of loving the fifth book for leaving the fairy tail behind and becoming a real fantasy story.

As for the latest one....excellent.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Read it Sunday. At last the characters are growing into the plot. I don't think that's a spoiler

I actually looked for overusee of adverbs this time and found the writing much tighter. Seems the writing style is growing up with the characters.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I finished book 6 yesterday and I plan on reading it again,slowly, before the end of the summer.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

LD: I read part of an interview with Rowling the other day in which someone brought up how much darker ths most recent books have been. She seemed surprised because, as she put it, the first book started off with a double murder. But I think she's too close to her work to see it...there was a leap between books four and five. Actually, it started at the end of book four. I didn't see any of the first three books as dark at all. They could have happened in a dream for all the closeness I felt to the dangers and the people whose lives were in danger.

In fact, while I still have problems with book 5, I don't dislike it. I had to reread it to get to the point where I decided I liked it and understood what she was doing, but at first it was kind of a shock. Now, the problems I have with it are not the teenage angst that seemed out of control the first read and seemed to make a little more sense the second time through. Rather, for being the longest book to date it seemed to me that the least amount of actual plot happened. I thought that what the bad guys spend the year trying to acomplish was a bit silly.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 20, 2005).]

pixydust
Member # 2311

Well, I still have the thing sitting by my bed waiting.

I totally agree with Beth on the holes and the adverbs, and I've always wondered what the editor was thinking. But you know what the great thing about these books is? The genius of the imagination. She takes all this old English mythology and brings it out for the young people of today to grasp and live--mind you, she gives it her own unique bent. She didn't mean for all of it to be so popular--BTW can you imagine how stressful it must be for sooooo many people to have an opinion of your book. You're NEVER going to please everyone. And for some reason the negative is louder in your head than the positive.

Christine, I've been reading YA novels steadily for about two years now and I have to say I agree with you. But, I have found many jewels as well. My favorite book of all time is a YA novel that I read three years ago--and no it's not HP --It's by Lois Lowry, called "The Giver". An amazing and life-changing story. There are two others in the same series, "Gathering Blue" and "Messenger". Both are excellent--"Messenger" more so than "Gathering Blue". "Holes" is another fun one by Louis Sachar. The movie did NOT do it justice. beyond this I've found mostly mediocore literature. Too bad really. It's no wonder the kids don't want to read. If nothing else Harry Potter has spawned a whole new generation of readers.

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

I decided at the last minute I had to reread 4 and 5, so started last Thursday, and got them done by Sunday morning so I could start on 6. I'd had the same issues re teenage angst of book 5 (and I taught 8th grade at the time, so I had that perspective to bring), but felt better about it after rereading it. I did enjoy 6, and look forward to 7.

I had not read them until the first three were in paperback - got them shrink-wrapped from Avon! I went on bedrest during my twin pregnancy, and just sucked them down. I was impressed at how hard it was to put them down - she just impels you from chapter to chapter. Then I started writing and yes, those adverbs became irritating. But they did not distract from an engagingly-told story, or characters I could belive in and with whom I sympathized. The books definitely grow, and it was funny because I caught myself noticing the LACK of those adverbs in the dialogue tags, and just as I was mentioning it to my husband, she did it twice in a row! There is one she used twice that bugged me, but overall I felt the book was what I had hoped for, and we are all set for 7 in three years.

Meanwhile, movie 4 will be out this fall...

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
What's truly unfortunate is when books aimed at the YA audience try to force certain ideologies down our throats. I still remember how disappointed I was with Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass), and even though I loved them I was still angered at the anti-Christian philosophy he was pushing. And I read these books my freshmen or sophomore year in highschool. I just kept thinking "If I was any less certain about my faith, this book could have a serious impact on me."

Though I did enjoy the book immensely.

----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

deleted because I don't want to discuss religion

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited July 20, 2005).]

pixydust
Member # 2311

I'm sorry to hear that about the Pullman books. I have them next in my stack to read. I've heard that they're really amazing, but then people say that about Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I always read any book with what I call my "third eye". It's kind of my way of not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I heard this guy once talking about rated "R" movies and how people always say well it's only rated "R" for violence or they only say the "F" word once. He compared this to a brownie with crap in it. Would you eat that, he'd asked.

I guess told in that light I would have to say I already do. God help me. But it sure does make you think. I wish I could be that idealistic. Anyway my mom's always quoting it to me--BTW I'm 29 and the mother of four. I just roll my eyes, inwardly of course, and say "Yes, mother, I know". I eat crap.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.