Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Rustic/Sword and Sorcery Fantasy and The Market

Author Topic: Rustic/Sword and Sorcery Fantasy and The Market
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the market like for this type of fantasy these days? Unfortunately, I enjoy writing what I read: mainly fantasy in a medieval setting with all the baggage that comes with it.

What defines Sword and Sorcery, anyway? I know most editors don't like seeing S&S these days, so can a fantasy story in a rustic setting which involves magic be considered anything other than Sword and Sorcery?

If a fantasy story is about a character fighting evil with magic and fantasy elements in a futuristic, sci-fi setting, is this Sword and Sworcery?

Would a story about a wizard who attempts to reclaim his family's castle from a usurper--who, while not evil, is certainly not reputable and uses politics to gain influence--be considered S&S?

What about a story involving a mercenary who finds a sword which had once been a family heirloom, and now is a medium through which his ancestors speak to him and tell him to return to his homeland to restory the country's honor?

So many questions, I know, but I don't really want my stories to be attached to the Sword and Sorcery stigma. If there even is a stigma.

Thanks,

-ck

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got a wizard, a sword, a castle - I'd call it S&S. It's not my thing, but if you're reading it, obviously people are publishing it.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the label. I guess Runelords could be forced into this category, so at least in novel form, there's a plethora of it. Of course, my guess is that means your story has to shine all the more.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
>>so can a fantasy story in a rustic setting which involves magic be considered anything other than Sword and Sorcery?<<

Set it in a modern rustic setting. There's no reason that either of your potential plots wouldn't work that way.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
So in a modern rustic setting, substituting guns for swords and a city for a castle, would work, you think, Mike?

I'm guessing a small city in rural Iowa would count as a modern rustic setting, no?

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.