Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Submission Oops!

Author Topic: Submission Oops!
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I just submitted a short to Strange Horizons, but I've discovered a glitch. I always seem to do this--it's like there's some submission hole in my head--but I made a silly error. I checked the format--and the great thing about SH is that they make it so clear--and then I checked it again. I did everything it said to do; checked and triple checked my submission before I pressed send. It looked lovely. Just like the sample. Then I went to check on the copy that I had forwarded to myself, and to my great horror and chagrin, I found it was double spaced. AH!

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that I barely had a chance as it was. But did this mistake completely throw me out of the running?

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The staff at Strange Horizons has always treated me kindly and with respect, despite never accepting a piece. They are open to queries and forgiving of mistakes. In fact, I once sent them a piece that I was stubbornly certain had no long hyphens to replace (--) but when I skimmed through the forwarded copy I saw these strange characters and realized that I had used the symbol: twice.

I fixed it and resubbed it, with a note of apology asking them to ignore the previous version. They took it in stride and suspect that if you did the same, they would also take it in stride.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
electricgrandmother
Member # 2713

- posted      Profile for electricgrandmother   Email electricgrandmother         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Christine said. If you resub with an apology, they should be cool with it. Very nice people. Good luck with your sub!
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys! Hope it's not too late.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.