Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What Tor Books Is Looking For

Author Topic: What Tor Books Is Looking For
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
The April issue of Locus has an interview in the back pages with Mrs. Meacham, editor of such books as Ender’s Game for Tor Books. If anybody is considering Tor as a publisher, this may prove a valuable read. She points out what they are looking for, and I must say, I was glad to see what they wanted.

“Neil Gaiman is doing it… we need books that can have that kind of depth and characters and storytelling values. He’s [Gaiman] proving you can do it all [in a sf/f escape context].”
- Beth Meacham, Tor Books Editor, “Locus Magazine” April 2005

She comments that sf/f must offer more than an escape. The books must find footing in the real world, so that the reader can relate. S-F needs to stick to age-old values of deep characters that are real (whether alien, elf or human).

She comments on run-away prose that is beautiful, but leaves the author better off writing poetry, because not enough attention was given to the plot.

Another good comment was about sci-fi fantasy finding the middle path: There are the novels that are total escapism, and techie/wizardry mazes; and then there others that are basically mainstream fiction with a few science/fantasy elements. She seems to be saying they want the balance of the two.

Also Meacham makes potent comments about novels that become so “deep” that you have to work hard as a reader to understand what the heck is going on. I think Ray Bradbury said that the secret is entertaining them, and then later when the metaphor takes form in their own lives.

She comments that she isn’t saying every story should be this way, but more so that there isn't enough of this type or quality. I thought these proved valuable insights and wanted to pass on the highlights.

If you don’t receive Locus, the web-site might have this article posted.

In creativity rising,

John

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting that. My pipe dream as a wanna-be is to have a successful submission to TOR one day.

I hope they keep their policy of accepting unagented submissions long enough for me to reach that point.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
< The books must find footing in the real world, so that the reader can relate.>

Yep, as a reader, this rings very true.

I went through a period where I read Baxter, but then when I encountered a book where the characters are beings that live on a neutron star, I had a hard time with it. While neutron stars are fasinating, viewpoint characters that inhabit them were not.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I too would dearly love to be published by Tor. I hope I can find that article and read it.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Someday, maybe. Why does this subject depress me?....
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.