Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Challenge #17 is open

Author Topic: Flash Challenge #17 is open
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Kathleen for allowing us to post these notices here.

Flash Challenge #17 is open. You must be registered at Liberty Hall to participate. http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/index.php

Trigger Request and Story Submittal

1) Please send an email to lhfc17 a t earthlink.net in order to receive the trigger. Once your email is received, the clock starts.

Please include the words Flash #17 in the subject line of your trigger request.
You will have 90 minutes total to return your story by email.

2) Please attach your story to an email. Please do NOT paste your story into the body of an email unless you must. Send to lhfc17 a t earthlink.net.

Please include the words Flash 17 in the subject line of your submittal.
Please include the word count and a title at the start of your submittal.

You will receive a response that we have your submittal, but it might have to wait until the end of the day.

If you have any problems, please email MaryRobinette or mikemunsil. We'll get to you when we can.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 22, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
(HSO is having some computer problems and probably won't be replying to e-mail soon.)
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh man.

I've been looking all morning to see if a flash was on this week, but thought that the mods might be taking a break.

I know this is cheeky, but I dont think I'll get chance to write again now until monday morning (although it might turn out that I can). What time do the entries close in GMT on monday. Can I sneak one in before 12:00 noon or is that too late?

Cheers.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm moderating, we're on PST, which is -8 GMT.

So, submissions will be open until 8:00am GMT.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this trigger.

I started out with one idea, found I was getting waaaaaay too preachy, scrapped it and panicked when I looked at the clock. My second idea is okay, but it could definitely be stronger.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
That was a doozie!

Oh well. It's done now. I got a concept right away and then had to do some fine tuning. Unfortunately it never fails -- as soon as I start flashing, people start flocking into my office to ask for help on things!

I guess I need to make a sign that says, "KEEP OUT! Flashing in Progress"

That ought to scare a few people.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
I may try next time. Are they always on weekends? Honestly, weekends are busy for me. Still sounds good though, maybe on drill weekends.
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with weekends too, but I can usually find an hour somewhere if I really try. Last weekend I couldn't, but that is the exception rather than the rule. What I'm really worried about is August. We'll be abroad and I don't know what type (if any) of computer/internet access I will have. I'm going through withdrawels already.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Abby, I think Notebored has a Wednesday challenge sometimes. I haven't tried it but it may be something to consider.

http://rittinger.admiralxp.com/index.php

If you're a member there already, you can try this link:

http://rittinger.admiralxp.com/viewforum.php?f=4

There are a few other sites that run flash challenges, but the way I understand it, they aren't like the ones at Liberty Hall.

Mike might be able to tell you about a couple. I think he does/did some over at Scrawl???

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Autumn, did you see the new post Isaiah13 put up in Markets?

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum13/HTML/000068.html

It might give you something to work on for a month.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Scrawl has Wednesday flashes and sometimes Saturday flashes and sometimes flashes when someone gets bored. They post the trigger at a specific time and you have an hour to post your flash. Then they vote on it. And rip it to shreds if they're hungry.

Scrawl isn't for everyone. It might better be called Scrawl: The Writer's Brawl rather than Scrawl: The Writer's Asylum. You must havbe a robust ego to survive there. If you request admission you'll have to undergo a 'test'. Don't even try it if you're at all shy or weak hearted.

But here's the link: http://www.stwa.net/

Our flashes at Liberty Hall are structured so that you can pretty much choose your time to flash, anywhere from about 8am Friday morning through about midnight Sunday. The commenting/voting/guessing/revealing phases run through the following Thursday. Fridays the old challenge is locked and the new one starts. I do not keep the old stories and their attendant comments on the board. I delete them on the following weekend. It is up to you to copy down any comments on your own work.

We're currently on challenge #17. We have yet to miss a week since we started, and are getting close to 400 stories created so far. Two stories have been accepted for publication and there are a number of others out there in the slush pile.

Oh, and the wimmen STILL have more total wins than the men. We men are letting the wimmen build their confidence so that their ultimate defeat is all the more humbling. That's our story and we're sticking to it.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited July 22, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did think it was gracious of the women to let the guys win this time.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, me too.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

hmmmffff!
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so do we give away our anonymity (I looked it up, so I know that's a word) if we post here after we've submitted something?

If so, I guess I've done that by posting here now, right?

Oh, well.

I tried it anyway, and it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this was literally the worst story I have ever written. I'm talking OMG bad.

Stupid trigger.

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelCReed
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for MichaelCReed   Email MichaelCReed         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I had exactly the same experience. I have never in my life written anything so horrible.

Of course, its not the trigger. Really it's my fault. I was in a bad mood, and sent for the trigger in the hopes that it would distract me. (Which it did) But I never write well when I'm in a bad mood. I should have just done an exercise on my own and written the Flash tomorrow when I had good ideas. All I managed this time ‘round was a hulking, wooden mess that even my wife hated.

"I'm sorry," she said, after she read it. Her face was all wrinkled and sympathetic, like I had just opened a rejection letter from a free high-school ‘zine.

Yikes. Talk about bad reviews.

The writer in me is going to take it as a challenge though, I know I'm going to write a new version of it just so I can say "Ha! It's not that bad!"

Well, maybe. It's a pile.

If yours is as bad as mine, Troy -- and ain't no way, believe you me -- maybe other people can compete to see which story is which.

You know, have our own "who sucked the worst" contest.

lol

Anyway, like my wife said, "There's always next week, right?"

Yeesh.

~MR

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
Okay, so do we give away our anonymity (I looked it up, so I know that's a word) if we post here after we've submitted something?
If so, I guess I've done that by posting here now, right?

Nope. All you've done is admit that you entered a story. It will be posted by one of the flashprimes, as will all the others. No one will ever know which is your story unless you choose to admit it during the reveal.

pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike, Did you get you get my story? I still haven't recieved a conformation and I'm a little nervious since I had to work so hard to get it done (and Mary worked hard too ).

Just checking in...

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

Are we supposed to receive a confirmation?

Because I haven't received anything either.

Corky
Member # 2714

As for whether my story was any good or not, I have no idea. I hope people will let me know.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry. I forgot. When we use my email service it automatically sends a confirmation, but we're using Mike's and I have to send them manually. I'll do that now.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Mary's is much better, that's a fact.
ForkedCarrot
Member # 2739

- posted      Profile for ForkedCarrot           Edit/Delete Post 
So...um...yeah. First one. That was hard and it totally went in a different direction than I ever imagined me going. Definitely not even close to my best work, but I'll hide behind that "first one" defense as much as I need.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Not an uncommon experience, ForkedCarrot. Manyh of us ahve written something totally unlike anything we have ever written before.
Alexis
Member # 2687

- posted      Profile for Alexis           Edit/Delete Post 
Posted this on LH too.

I haven't gotten the trigger, and now I won't be able to send it before midnight Central time. I'd like to have a go at this flash, since I couldn't participate last week. Could someone send the trigger manually? I don't mind writing a DQ if need be. Thanks.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I sent you the trigger. Did you get it?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

As of about 5:30am Monday, I couldn't open Liberty Hall. Anyone else having problems? I emailed the hosting service about the issue.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

ok, back up.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

For those folks who did not receive the trigger or didn't have time this weekend, I've set up a forum for late entries.

If want to try to stick to the one and a half hour time limit for fun, then send me an email before you click on the link to see the trigger. Otherwise, feel free to take as much time as you like. There's no voting for the Fool's Gold forum, just a chance to play with the rest of us.

Go here to get the trigger.

dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow that was not only my first flash contest, but the first time I ever attempted writing flash fiction.

I was quite impressed (blown away, really) with what most of the folks could pull off in 90 minutes.

As for my own attempt, well let's just say I've got a lot to learn. But hey, I think I get to try again in a day or two.

So ... awesome stuff, people, especially you winners.

Seemed like all the forums over there were locked so I'm saying this here hoping at least some of the folks might see it.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

they will, dee

if you have comments you want to save from your flash, get them Friday, as I will delete all of FC#17 on Saturday.

mike

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.