Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Long and Arduous Wait...

Author Topic: The Long and Arduous Wait...
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a logistic question. I'm waiting for an editor at Strang to get back to me on a novel I've written. He requested and received the ms some time in Dec. Eight months ago. I have since emailed him about it, and I don't want to bug him any more than I already have. He got back to me with a very sad email about how much work he's got stacked up for the launch of the new line this fall (the one I've submitted for). I know the poor man is drowning. I actually feel bad for giving him more work. He's been so great, despite my station of being "unpublished" thus far.

So my question is: When is it kosher to start soliciting agents? I didn't really think that I was going to have to, but now I'm starting to wonder. I'd like to have a backup plan in place. I'm not going to try to find another publisher until this one gets back to me with a definite "no". Oh, the horror! After all this time...Ah!

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a "no" back after a year. I wish that I had looked for an agent while my manuscript was at the publishers because I've since learned that saying, "My manuscript is under consideration at..." can be a bonus point with agents.

Go ahead and start shopping for agents, there's nothing wrong with it. Or wait and keep your fingers crossed. The sad truth is that it's not unusual to wait a year or more to hear back on a manuscript submission.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mary. I think I just need that extra push. If I feel like progress is being made, I'll relax a little. Or not. But hey, that's great that I can use this. I know just the agent to submit to first.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.