Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What do publishers pay?

Author Topic: What do publishers pay?
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out, what is "average" pay for published stories? Specifically, what do publishers of NOVELS pay? I have heard short stories that go for anywhere between five cents a word to $300 for a story.

I'm just wondering what the normal novelist is paid? More to the point, am I working for the potential of making a penny an hour for my labor? Not that it makes a big difference; I guess I just want that extra incentive: "Whoo hooo! Another hour of writing down, another penny earned!!"

I'd also be interested in hearing what the range of pay is for short stories. Is it possible to eek a living out of them?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
The "pro" rate for short stories, as set by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) is 5 cents per word, minimum of $50 per story.

At that rate, if you could crank out and sell a 10,000 words worth of short stories every week, you'd be making $26,000 a year, which is enough to live on in some places. The problem is that very few people can write and sell short fiction at that pace.

Of the genre magazines, SciFiction probably pays the most, at 25 cents per word. There are plenty of magazines paying less than pro rates. I suggest you look at www.storypilot.com or www.ralan.com to see what different markets pay.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
The typical advance for a first novel is around 5k, I've read. (And most novels don't earn out the advance.)

If you're in this for the money, you probably won't be happy with how the math works out.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Here's some data:

http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/archives/001423.html

Elan
Member # 2442

ooo... very useful info. Thanks, Eric and Beth!
Beth
Member # 2192

Of course, as J.K. Rowling has shown, there really isn't an upper limit. You just can't count on being a gazillionaire from writing, or even having enough money to buy a Happy Meal.

Luckily, there are a lot of reasons besides money to write.

Elan
Member # 2442

Yeah, I've figured that if I ever make any money from this hobby of mine, I'll do the Happy Dance of Joy until my friends and relatives slap me silly. But I have a co-author on my WIP and it was time for me to think about, for the sake of conversation, what the going rate could potentially be for a published work. I have very possibly already botched my chance at publication because the loose and poorly done rough draft of this story has been online and open to the viewing public for a couple of years.

Thank heavens I'm writing simply because I'm addicted to writing, not because I have delusions of grandure.

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mean to nitpick, but SCIFICTION pays $0.20/word. Still, by far the highest rate.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as novels go, I understand that the advances (for hardcover) are about $5,000 - $7,000. Now whether you get paid beyond that depends on:

For the first 5,000 or so copies of the novel you sell, you earn 10%. After the 5,000 mark, the royalties rise to 12.5% and then to 15%. Check out Writer's Digest's Handbook for Novel Writing, it has the stats.

Roudning off, if the hardcover sells for $20.00 (I'm from Canada) you are looking at $2 a book coming back to you. 10% of that goes to your agent, so you are left with $1.80. And if you are Canadian you might have to pay 15% in General Sales Tax, which brings it down to around $1.53. But for now let's say $2.00.

So in order to make money beyond a $7,000 advance, you'd need to sell 3,500 copies of your book. This is a lot, especially for something out of the mainstream like s-f.

I've read many agents and authors who vouch that these three secrets to selling copies:

1. Write well - enough said. If people like it, they'll tell their friends and buy them copies for Christmas.

2. Build a readership - keep on writing new work, if you write well, the readers will come back plus extra.

2. Promote well - You can _not_ rely on your publisher/agent to promote your book. A new writer is a financial risk, they won't put much money out on promotion.

You have to fax hundres of press releases, put up a web-site, do readings, book signings, e-mail lists, publish a blog, etc. etc.

There are great books by Writer's Digest on promotion. If you start early, it is not overwhelming. I've read successful authors stating it takes up about one-half day of work a week, or 10% of their time.

Robert Sawyer's "On Writing" series, available on his web-site, has a great piece on "Self Promotion" (www.sfwriter.com). He also offers sample press releases and gives tips on doing readings and interviews. He's been quite generous with sharing his knowledge and experience.

I hope that helps. Check those sources, please, don't rely on my memory.

In creativity rising,

John

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.