Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Researching for Fictional World

Author Topic: Researching for Fictional World
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
Following up on my last post about research, I came across in my notes an excerpt from Orson Scott Card’s “How To Write Science Fiction and Fantasy”:

“Speculative fiction is not an escape from the real world, and writing it is not to have a literary career without having to research anything! Speculative fiction instead provides a lens through which to view the real world better than it could ever be seen with the natural eye.”

This type of allegorical view is what attracts me most towards speculative fiction. One of the first science fiction stories I read was “Enemy Mine”. At the time I was attending a high school that was battle ground for ethnic conflicts. I remember the story offered an engaging perspective on what I saw happening each day. Though my school merely engaged in verbal abuse and petty quarrels--not interplanetary warfare--“Enemy Mine” definitely helped me deal with and understand people’s ignorance.

I think what strikes me about the excerpt above is that Scott Card doesn't say that S-F is a means to view the real world in “another way”, but in a “better” way. This gives s-f writing (or at least a particle sub-genre or take on s-f writing) a goal in its creative ventures.

A difficult goal! In generating stories plots, I was struggling with whether to find an idea first, or to decide on the “message” or “insight” first.

In the end I’m just going with whichever comes along, developing it as much as I can, and then putting it aside. I’ve noticed that they start courting each other when I’m not looking. I’m hoping they’ll “be fruitful and multiply.” I’ll just keep on checking in every once and while, to see if there’s anything they need. I expect they’ll flourish nicely in my right brain—as long as the left side minds its own business.

Any other thoughts on how on to integrate the real world into a speculative world?

In creativity rising,

John A. Manley

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
You should also note that OSC has stated numerous times that he does not write with a "theme" or "meaning" in mind (with the rare exceptions of a couple of his short stories.) He just tries to write an interesting story with engaging characters.

But, if the story you're writing feels important to you, and you care about it deeply, you'll find that a theme appears naturally. It's just a result of the fact that you care about certain things, and they show up in your writing. This works so much better than trying to force the story to convey a certain theme.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The basic question in developing a speculative story is "What if...?". The story is your answer to such a question, and might contain subsidiary answers like a "message" or "insight".

Basically, any messages and insights that you'll bring to the story are already in your head. You don't have to decide on them now. Any messages and insights you recieve in the process of exploring the hypothesis aren't available to you before you find an idea to base your story on anyway.

In other words, your understanding of the "real world" provides you with the ability to answer (or even ask) a "What if...?" question. But asking that question informs your exploration of the real world to expand your understanding of what would happen as a consequence of your idea. Without some idea of the real world, you can't figure out which speculative ideas will be interesting and really speculative.

"What if insects had eight legs?" Well, they'ed have eight legs. It wouldn't make a huge difference in the world as we know it. Even insects themselves don't care how many legs they have. Nothing really depends on insects having six rather than eight legs.

"What if language could be encoded as electrical fields in microscopic structures made of inanimate material?" Well, that's the way the world already works, isn't it? We just have to look at the world as it is to know the answer to that question. There's no need for speculation at all.

But despite the need to have a working understanding of the real world before you can decide on an interesting idea for a story, any really good question will require you to gain additional knowledge of how the world works in order to answer it believably.

"What if scientists successfully crystalized a molecule that developed electrical potential by absorbing heat?" Our entire industrial economy is based on the assumption that various forms of energy get turned into heat, and that the process is irreversible. Even though I know that, I don't know all the details of how something like that would change things. It would change pretty much everything, but figuring out how it would change everything would require a lot of study of the real world.

In that process, I might learn a thing or two that seemed pretty important to me. Hopefully those insights would show up somehow in my story, even though it still contains the insights that led me to ask "what if...?" in the first place.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
What I appreciate about writing Spec-fic, is the separation from the real world. It cements everything as fiction, which opens me up to writing about everything in a more honest way.

I don't keep a journal or diary. I never have. I don't like having "ME" written down for other people to read about. By writing fiction, I can openly and honestly write about myself, the people in my life and my relationships -- but behind the guise of "it isn't real".

I think in reading, people are more open to the message if it isn't specifically about them.

Using your example of "Enemy Mine", Racism is a touchy subject in many parts of the world, and it has led to war and armed conflict. Writing non-fiction about those incidents or even fiction about them, could very easily limit the audience. Making the race issue into a sci-fi story adds a degree of separation.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the symbol on Spider-Man's costume has eight legs, we know he's Spider-Man. But in a world where ordinary insects have eight legs, people might think he was Insect-Man. And if the lyrics to the theme of the TV show were "Insect-Man, Insect-Man / Does whatever an insect can," I'm sure we can all agree the effects on civilization as we know it would be catastrophic.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I understand the q.

I research elements of the real world to make my story better. When I was writing about cyberpunk intrigue in Korea, I learned about Korean geography and business practices. So it was story-driven.

When a story comes to me, there's something I like that I want to say. Maybe something like: wouldn't it be cool if the troll outsmarted the 3 Billy Goats Gruff. Or: what if this, or that, happened; or, space aliens attacking earth specifically targeting a particular city because somebody there pissed them off; or ... and it may be a didactic point, although I hope it's not obvious that's what I started with.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited July 29, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, we all happily sang it as "Booger Man" (with other [in]appropriate modifications to the lyrics), and I don't think the results were bad at all. They weren't particularly good, I don't think they affected the balance of civilization much one way or the other.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is easy to overanalyze things. I usually start out with a single thought: What would it be like to have XXX happen to you? From there, I begin to imagine what that would feel like, and what circumstances would create the XXX incident. If the idea is powerful enough, the story begins to spin itself. Once I get a feel for it, then I can begin to build the world around it to support the premise. I can then find ways to integrate the spiritual side of things, should that be important to the story. I don't believe I could write a story beginning with a moral theme. I have to begin with the character and the plot.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited July 30, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Most sf-f readers don't like being handed theme. And deciding to write a specific theme can hamper you. If you just write a story as a story..."themes" will come out. An example of both of these in the same author: Tolkien. In his Silmarillion, he tells a wide variety of stories -- from a creation myth to epic romance. I find most of these stories lovely. But, to include the entire spectrum of literary tradition in his stories, Tolkien includes a tragedy. This story falls flat for me. I don't think Tolkien believed in tragedies -- not complete ones where there is no happy ending at all. As a devout Catholic with heaven in mind for the righteous, I think he didn't really believe that a truely good person could end up with a truely terrible fate. Consequently, in the tragedy of Turin Turambar, Turin makes bad choices and largely brings upon himself his awful demise. Tolkien made several comments about how his books were not allegories and had no intended theme. Yet, when we read Lord of the Rings, themes shine through -- just because Tolkien believed that's how the world was. That good can alway triumph over evil, though the price is very high. That mercy should be given to all (Gollum, Sauruman, and if you go back to the Silmarillion -- even Sauron himself -- were all given mercy and a chance to return to the good side). You don't need to plan themes: the things you really believe will come through in your stories is you just write honestly. But trying to write a theme in, especially if it's one you don't really care about -- just think you should care about -- will often make a story feel contrived and flat.

And, to the other part: how to make science fiction and fantasy applicable to modern readers. People. Characters. That's all you really need. No one I know sits around salivating over the Enterprise's warp necells. They talk about Picard and Data and Beverly Crusher. No one really sits and talks about how awesome the Herbology details are in Harry Potter, either. They talk about Harry and Ron and Hermionie and worry and fret about them. My grandfather, after an hour of HP discussion with our family, commented, "Funny how we talk about them like they're real people."

If you put real characters into your story, it doesn't matter if it's set in Middle-Earth or Planet xy7z. Injustice, hate, love, jealousy, pain...no matter where it happens, we can relate to it. Isn't that why we read fiction?

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicken man, Does whatever a chicken can-
Lay an egg, scratch some corn-
wake you up in the early morn-
watch out here comes chicken man.

(By that I mean ditto on the no pre-theme thing, after you read it then you might know what the theme is.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. This is adefinitely a generous forum.

Good timing too. I've been drafting a story idea for about a half hour each day/800 words a day (the rest of the time spent editing and rewriting a WIP) all because of a "what if?" that hit me one morning.

The first 1,000 words went great and then I was at a dead end. But, only minutes before falling asleep the other night, a second "What if?" came to me for the very situation where I left the character.

This led to three more "what ifs". It was quite an experience, which iw ould preferred happened earlier in the evening.

3,000 words into this piece now, a theme is plainly visible. The whole situation seems plausible enough to me. It offers several juicy moral dillemmas to how we deal with death, which can easily lead into some stimulating drama, once I inject the oppusing views into enough of the characters.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.