Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Titles

Author Topic: Titles
ForkedCarrot
Member # 2739

- posted      Profile for ForkedCarrot           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my biggest obstacles in writing is titles. I always find it a difficult thing, and I'm not entirely sure why.

Are you put off by reading untitled works in progress? Anyone have links to discussions or articles on titling effectively?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
There is an excellent discussion on how to title books around here somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. But as to naming works in progress, most of my WIPS have temporary titles and I really don't pay attention to titles when reading other's WIPS.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000777.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001093.html

Here are a couple of discussions on titles. The first one contains a link to an interesting article and the second one...skip down to Eric's post.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Christine (I think that would be my sig, if this forum allowed sigs). For me, my titles usually come to me at some point toward the end of writing my first draft. Occasionally, I just can't come up with anything, at which point, I make due with whatever meager idea I an scrounge up.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
A useful website all around, SWFA has a particularly helpful link on titles, in my opinion.
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Titles aren't really all the vital. They do count a bit if you're publishing novels, just for the "grab off the shelf" factor. Otherwise, people typically forget them.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's generally true, but I do appreciate it when I can look back at the title after finishing a work, and realizing it has a significant meaning in the story on more than one level.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. That's what I like: multiple meanings. But I admit, one's enough.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I generally don't have problems with titles. They just come to me. If I can't think of a decent title (like my bootcamp story) then I don't have the story right. Often I'll come up with the title first and wrap the story around it. I can't tell you how to come up with them, I just do.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great. Now I've got something else to worry about. I HAVE a title for my current WIP, but the titling of chapters has led me to the Pit of Despair. I can easily spend as much time fretting over a title to a chapter as I did writing the bloody chapter in the first place. I finally resolved my current dilema by calling them "Chapter One, Chapter Two," etc. It never occurred to me that my inability to title things would be a curse for future manuscripts. I'd better start hoarding titles now.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Just think about the chapter in question and decide what the most important theme was. From there, you can try to make a witty turn of phrase, or just call it something relevant. Case in point, my first novel's first chapter takes place in Greenland. I called the chapter..."Greenland." The last chapter is titled "Ashes to Ashes, Ice to Ice." It's appropriate, but would probably take 1000 words to explain.

In any event, there's no rule that says you NEED chapter titles.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited July 30, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Titles aren't really all the vital. They do count a bit if you're publishing novels, just for the "grab off the shelf" factor. Otherwise, people typically forget them.

I'm not sure that's completely true. I've read a comment by at least one editor which said that a good title is the first thing that grabs them in the slush pile. So, while a bad title may not kill you, a good one can be your first hook.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.