Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Blogging (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Blogging
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Beth's is disturbingly funny. Or maybe just disturbing. But not just funny.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
Beth's has moments of humor, but I've found it to be almost completely and utterly convincing.

I mean... Lost?

Of course I believe in the blog, the characterization is just great. Beth, you've supplied me my morning reading.

I'm just upset that you won't be able to turn it into a publishable novel now that the first rights have been eaten up. I'd have read it.

Evil Robot Monkeys and all.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my brother's blog has to garner points for being completely non-fiction, but Beth's EZRM blog is fun too. I particularly liked the link to the article about Stalin's attempts to create an army of human-chimp hybrids.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE the Stalinist chimp warriors. That's my favorite news story from all of last year.

thanks, y'all.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Beth, your blog is stupendous

Mine is http://aliettedb.livejournal.com/. Not really fascinating right now, but I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon.

(edited because I messed up yet again with my UBB tags)

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited January 28, 2006).]

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good, Liloo. I hadn't realized until I saw it all there just how much you've sold recently.

I've changed my blog to http://tominister.blogspot.com/

MSN Spaces had all kinds of cool options, but that's only helpful if they actually work.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother's blog is still interesting nd non-fictional, but you have to remember that due to the secretive nature of what he actually does, certain parts are now written in an amusing code language.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a blog, but haven't written too much since I've had it--I just have so much else to do. If you're interested, here's the link: smaugsmusings.blogspot.com
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 3228

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip           Edit/Delete Post 
People have suggested I start a blog. So far, I've resisted.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I started an online journal (the word blog is so ugly) because I travelled so much that it was the easiest way for my family to keep up with me. If I don't update daily my dad will email to ask if I'm dead--this even happens when I'm visiting them.

When I made my first pro-sale I splurged and got my own domain name. I had one for the puppetry aspect of my life, but nothing for the writer.

http://www.maryrobinettekowal.com/category/journal/

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited March 05, 2006).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
giggles
Member # 3279

- posted      Profile for giggles   Email giggles         Edit/Delete Post 
There are tons of great blogs here. Nice work guys!

Chrissie

Posts: 34 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
I've briefly mentioned before that I wanted to start a blog specifically devoted to cutting -- using fewer words to say the same thing -- and not to any other aspect of style, plot, or anything else. I've started it, and it's here:

http://www.freivald.org/~jake/cutting_blog

My intent is also to use it for more than just fiction, since concise writing is so important for other purposes as well. (I'm a marketer, for instance, and it's a key skill in my business.)

I have only two entries right now, both 1000-word excerpts from short stories.

• One is a story of my own, in which I achieved about a 7% reduction. (I had already cut it pretty significantly before I submitted it to GlimmerTrain, and it's always harder to cut your own stuff!)
  • The other is from an F&F submission, disguised and used with permission of the author. I achieved about a 40% cut from that excerpt.

If you'd like me to take a whack at your text, please email me at cutting.blog at gmail dot com. I'd also enjoy getting criticism, recommendations, etc.

Regards,
    Jake aka Oliver

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  •   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.