Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Flash Contests

Author Topic: Flash Contests
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
This weekend I did my third Liberty Hall flash contest.

For me and my way of working, this has turned out to be a very difficult endeavor. The main difficulty I have is with the time limit as I don't work particularly fast, and this shows in the quality of my entries. Fortunately, it appears there is no requirement to fess up and admit which one is yours unless you happen to win!

Anyway, IMO the quality of my entries is considerably below the norm, especially when it comes to the story idea/plot. I usually just get the trigger, curse it for 10-15 minutes, come up with a half-baked idea, then type as fast as I can to regurgitate it. The story ends 10 minutes before the time limit expires, which is usually before it was supposed to.

Are there any flash vets out there willing to share advice for amateurs like me?

I've considered doing things like thinking up a few ideas ahead of time and hoping one can be reworked given the trigger, but that seems like it might offend against the spirit of the contest.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think I'm in the below average category too. But, occasionally try and use the flashes as an exercise to write in a different style.

Last week, I tried humour. Previously I've tried 2nd tense.

Rather than concentrate on plot, I think that it works best to really try and get the word count down and focus on some kind of hook instead. Be it style / character / twist ending or something.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not the only one in this predicament. When I flash my stories are complete but so cryptic that I never win.

Since the intent of the challenges is to get people writing, and not to create an overly competitive situation, the system is working for you. That's cold comfort, I know, but you are now 3 stories ahead of where you were before. We have some people who are 12 or so stories ahead, without a win, yet.

Techniques? We'll open a techniques thread over a Liberty Hall. One thing you can try is to create a milieu: characters, world and style. It is kosher to flash wihtin your milieu, as long as your story is new. It can also be very difficult to do. So, if you decide to create a milieu, be prepared to abandon it in favor of something totaly new.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
dee, don't beat yourself up over your entries. These aren't contests, by the way, they are Challenges. And they are supposed to be hard.

Nevertheless, the primary purpose of these challenges is to get you writing something -- anything, really. If you done that, then you've succeeded.

If you find yourself running out of time, perhaps your idea is too complex. The best advice I can give is to keep things simple. You're not aiming to write a short-story length tale... your goal is to write a tiny Flash fiction piece that is a complete story in itself. It helps to have simple plots, not too many characters, and a clear vision of how you want the story to end. Don't spend any time worrying about characters' names -- simply use the first thing that pops into your head. Same thing with place names, et al. Turn off your internal censor and just go.

That said, it takes some amount of practice to write effective Flash fiction in any amount of time. Add a 90-minute deadline, it's even harder. However, the more you do it, the easier it becomes (mostly).

Lastly, by critiquing other entries, you'll learn a lot; you'll start to see common things to avoid in your own stories. So, each week is a learning experience. Eventually, it all comes together. Write, critque, write, critique... all of this is practice, practice, practice.

But really, the "secret" -- if there really is such a thing -- is to keep it simple. Don't worry about subplots, don't try to explain things in lengthy detail, and avoid writing about what happened to a particular character in the past -- show what is happening right then; make the present the only important thing. Later, after the challenge, you can rewrite to your heart's content, adding color and details, whatever.

You've only just started... don't worry so much about it. Still, there are lots of links on LH about how to write Flash fiction. Give those a look when you have time.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited August 08, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, everyone

I'm not too worried about whether I win or not, but I am interested in doing the best I can, and improving over time.

Would like to someday be on par with the norm over there.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have time to participate right now due to other obligations, but my observation is that there are so many flash stories with huge potential that it is worth participating just to get the seed of a story. You can expand them the next week.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
dee, your process sounds very similar to mine.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second what has already been said. Especially what HSO said about practice.

If it normally takes you hours or days to write 1000 words, compressing that into 90 minutes will stretch you as a writer. It isn't easy to do, but if you look at what you have developed so far, it probably isn't as bad as you might think.

When we were first starting the challenges, one of the most common comments was: I can't believe I wrote something that good in an hour and a half!

The challenges are the roughest of the rough drafts, and it can feel a little embarassing. But you only had 90 minutes. 90 minutes to develope characters, milieu, and plot -- AND WRITE THE STORY!!!!!

Once you have trained yourself to think and type quickly, you will notice improvement. It takes time.

So, Congratulations on completing THREE brand, spanking new stories in as many weeks!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, everyone knows you only had 90 minutes to write it. They know it isn't your very best, polished to a shine story that's you're submitting to Asimov's next week. So, I don't think there's any need to be self-conscious about it. It's frustrating having people read something you wrote when you know it isn't perfect...but no one expects it to be perfect. I just did my first flash-challenge. I forgot to even run the spell-checker, I think my ending is cheesy and my begining doesn't make sense. But, I have a story now. It was a good exercise. I might even polish it up and send it somewhere, one day. I'm just happy I got some writing done.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
bravo! you have all done better than i. i didn't write anything this week except lots and lots of checks for back-to-school clothes and supplies. unfortunately, they can't be fictive...
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

Thanks again for the tips. I do try to keep them simple, but the buggers just grow on me! Sometimes I think this keyboard is haunted or something.

Well, until Mike boots me for ineptitude, I'll keep showing back up. The point is well taken that the challenge forces me to cough out a story per week I wouldn't have otherwise. Who knows, I might strike gold one day in one of those blurbs.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

quote:
curse it for 10-15 minutes, come up with a half-baked idea, then type as fast as I can to regurgitate it.

LOL, our goal is to post triggers that do just that to our writers. A trigger that gets people writing is ok, but one that triggers outrage as well as writing is even better!

One of the fun things about the challenges is that the winner gets to choose the trigger for the next challenge. Methinks there is a lot of getting even going around.

So much the better. It takes passion to write a story that people will feel passionately about.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Ok, there is a flashing tips thread over at LH now. Trust shadowynd to start it out in the gutter. *sigh* Trust me to make it worse.

However, once you crawl your way down a bit, there's some useful advice; somewhat esoteric advice, but still advice.

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
There is another way that people get even with the trigger choosers: we name our characters after them.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

*sigh*

yes, i know.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.