Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, Senior and a Thank You

Author Topic: Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, Senior and a Thank You
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I'd like to thank whoever submitted the link to the Snowflake Method of novel writing. I've been trying it with my latest novel attempt and it's showing me holes I wouldn't have seen until I was halfway through the first draft.

On that same website, there's an article about the different levels of pre-publication. I kind of liked the way Ingermanson divided it up and thought I'd share.

Freshman, Sophmore, Junior, Senior

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links, Keeley! I hadn't seen this one before. I was pleased to discover that I'd already thought of the spreadsheet idea, and had set it up nearly identical to what he described, except I only broke it into chapters, not scenes. I've been apprehensive in the back of my mind for some time that my novel's climax is anti-climactic, and I've known that one of the three primary characters got short-shrift in the story. I can see how using this tool will help me flesh out her leg of the story.

I love it when people share helpful links like this. I do freelance web design on the side, and have begun compiling the useful links I find on Hatrack into a single page of my website. If anyone has incredibly helpful links that haven't been recently posted, let me know and I'll add to them. I hope to make this page a quick reference guide.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

While we are looking at links from this author, this one about writing the Perfect Scene is equally helpful:
http://www.rsingermanson.com/html/perfect_scene.html

MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's a great site. I signed up for his newsletter last month, and it's pretty helpful.

Those MRU's are difficult, and definitely not something you want to be consciously thinking about as you write. They're a great thing to keep in mind while editing, though.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read about this guy before. He's a great resource. I love his Snowflake thing. I'm definitely using that with my next novel.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Keeley,

GREAT site, thanks so much! It seems like it will be very helpful for organizing my thoughts.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The MRU method recommended in Perfect Scene, however much it matches the advice I commonly give, only works for 3PLO writing. If you try using it on other forms of fiction, particularly those involving strong narrators or any kind of first person, it will only gut your writing, it won't noticibly improve it. I'm sure that he thought this was obvious, and it is...but somebody does have to point out the elephant, after all.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
On one hand, I hate the info-mercial feel of the site. Each time I clicked at for the next steps, I was half-afraid it was going to ask for an email or money.

On the other hand, I have no complaints about what was in the snowflake part. It's what I do already. On my hard drive I have a folder tree that goes like this:
1)Work
1A)My Work
1B)Me and ____
1C)Radio show

Inside 1A the following folders:
Exercise
Ideas
Characters
Overviews
In Progress
Novels
Short Stories
Story Art

I do a writing exercise, get an idea (or sometimes I just get an idea), develop characters, start writing and then figure out if it's a short or a book.
Of course it all boils down to the fact that I support outlining, and the snowflake thing is a form of outlining.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I'm enjoying the Snowflake Method so far is because it alternates between building your characters and building plot. Everything I've read so far regarding writing assumes you either already know what your character's arc is going to be or that it's getting worked out in your outline but they never say how. One book I read had a sample "dossier" but that was it. I think it's because the authors of those books didn't want to intrude on a person's creativity or give them "one way" of doing things. Building both up together has gotten me really excited about this story again (outlines tend to suck the life out of a story for me).

Right now I'm about to head into step 7, creating a detailed character sketch. I'm actually looking forward to it.

My favorite part so far though was writing the POV synopsis from each character's viewpoint, including minor ones. It gave me insights I would have never gotten any other way and filled in gaps that made the four page plot synopsis come together in minutes and ended up adding some necessary characters. Of course, it didn't hurt that I was merging this with items from a detailed outline I'd created a few months ago. I'd probably take much longer if I was working on this from scratch.

As for the scene analysis, yeah, it definitely needs to be said that it only works with 3PLO. I also think it could only work well with a single viewpoint. Using multiple viewpoints would be extremely tricky if you wanted to stick to that format -- if not impossible depending on the combination. I've been using Holly Lisle's definition myself.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Carlene
Member # 2745

- posted      Profile for Carlene   Email Carlene         Edit/Delete Post 
I second what Keeley says about the snowflake method. I am working step five, which is the page long summary (ok, mine are longer) of each character's story, in the character's voice.

Working out what my MC versus her mother would report about the same incident, and how they would has helped me solidify their differing perspectives each would have. This method has also helped me get a better sense of what scenes will be needed to tell the story, which is something I was struggling with when I tried using some of the other outlining methods.

I’ve found the character summary step useful in gleaning some minor character details that I knew would be needed to create fuller characters; for example, I learned that my MC is a baseball player, specifically she used to be a right fielder until her friend’s dad taught her how to pitch.

[This message has been edited for spelling by Carlene (edited August 11, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Carlene (edited August 11, 2005).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm surprised that Jmari didn't spot any of the numerous requests for money and the less intrusive invitations to sign up to get email.
JmariC
Member # 2698

I read the text as it related to writing, and on the last page noticed a cd offer. Over many years online I have cultivated an eye for ignoring sales pitches and such. I will, however, catch any pay references before clicking a link.

Elan
Member # 2442

The free advice Mr. Ingermanson has offered via his website is excellent. He states up front of: take what works, leave the rest. I have absolutely NO problems with someone who owns a website using it to run a business with it. We tend to forget that OSC has his own money-making niche on THIS website. Hey, it's a lot of work and expense to keep a website up. I know, because I'm a web designer (among other things.) More power to him if he can get the sucker to generate income.

JmariC
Member # 2698

I'm not saying he shouldn't attempt to sell whatever. I have no problem with a website that offer information and products to purchase.
I just don't like the info-mercial style. I don't like info-mercials either.
I don't think people should avoid the site, nor should they ignore good information. Again, I already do what he mentioned.
Kudo's to him if he can get a return on the information to keep costs down or support himself. I (being a person who's not going to buy regardless and therefore not a voice for him to listen to) would prefer a differnent style of sales.
The only thing I like about info-mercials (or the their style) is making fun of them.

Survivor
Member # 213

Then you should have loved his site. Most of his requests for money are firmly tongue in cheek (one of the benefits-limitations of writing, you can actually put your tongue in your cheek and it doesn't markedly affect your ability to write properly).
JmariC
Member # 2698

I just skipped over anything not directly related to writing. I didn't even read the stuff with the cd. If it's done for humor, then wonderful, if not, he needs to expand his sales abilities.
Survivor
Member # 213

How did you skip...never mind.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.