Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Bookcrossing

Author Topic: Bookcrossing
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone come across this yet?
The chap who setup the website www.bookcrossing.com was interview by Jonnie Walker on Radio 2 last night, so it prompted me into checking it out.

Its about leaving books hanging around for other people to come across and pass along.

There's a registration system so that you can report on what books you've come across and any you've left around yourself.

I just checked the site out & there is 1 book at a Kwik-Fit (car parts shop) about half a mile from where I live. I might go pick it up for a laugh. But wonder if I might look strange walking into a garage and then straight back out again after robbing them of a paperback.

Do you think it's hurting authors though, or insignificant enough not to make a difference. Or even promoting books?

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who does this, and she loves participating in it. I know she keeps Bookcrossing in mind when she buys books, and I think sometimes it prompts her to buy a book if she's on the fence. It's a fun little 'act of kindness' thing to do and it's a great way to stimulate reading.

Along those lines someone (or a group of someones) in the coastal town of Lincoln City, Oregon, leaves hand-blown glass 'floats' hidden around the town like easter eggs. Each float is tagged with a note that tells the finder 'you can keep this.' My Bookcrossing friend found one and displays it proudly in her living room. It's very pretty.

I think the act of deliberately leaving small items of value to give anonymously to random strangers is a terrific idea, and a refreshing change of pace in our culture. It leaves the finder with a sense of wonder and unexpected pleasure.

benskia, I'd say that you shouldn't feel shy at picking up the book you saw listed. Chances are high the people at that Kwik-fit shop are aware of Bookcrossings and support it themselves. I say go for it! Let us know if you catch the prize!

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. This is one of the grassroots marketing methods used by some magazines as well. You wonder about all the old magazines in Doctor's offices? They aren't all brought from a staff member's home. Some are deliberate plants so that other people will become aware of the magazine.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Funny thing is when I have a yard sale, I always put a few things out and mark them free. They are usually books, small decorative items and crafts I've made. No one ever grabs them up. Once I price them they go quickly.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny this is the second time in, like, two days someone has mentioned this. Referring what could be the same interview, writer Mark Millar over at his message board suggested doing the same thing with comic books
( http://www.millarworld.net/index.php?showtopic=52487 ) in an attempt to get more kids into them or just targeting the mainstream.

The coffee shop in the artsy-fartsy part of the city of Norfolk has a leave book, take a book shelf, and I don't think they care if you leave a book.

It's a very cool idea in either medium. I just can't bear to part with my novels or comics. I'm selfish

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 11, 2005).]

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very interesting idea. I don't think I have ever heard of it before. Perhaps I should try it sometime.

Edit: Wow, I just checked out my location and there are tons of books that I could go find. I should go right now!

[This message has been edited by Shendülféa (edited August 11, 2005).]

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

Ha! I just took a closer look at that website and the coffee shop I metioned in my area had like 20 books listed.

JOHN!

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I found a really interesting tidbit. I live in Colorado Springs which is by no means the largest city in Colorado. I went to bookcrossing out of curiousity and there are over 400 books floating around in the Springs. Denver had only 67. Even if you added up all the subburbs of Denver the total was still under 100. I think that means that Colorado Springs must be a fairly literate city.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Which one in Norfolk are you speaking of?

--Trying to find cool places to hang out.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

quote:
Which one in Norfolk are you speaking of?

--Trying to find cool places to hang out.

Wow, that's cool you're from Hampton Roads.

It’s called Elliot's Fair Grounds. It’s in Ghent off of Colley Avenue.

My best friend lives down there, and it’s my weekend hangout. It’s the cultural center of the city (our Greenwich Village). You have the Naro, the one screen movie theatre that shows indy and artsty films (actually saw Ghost in the Shell 2 there and It’s a Wonderful Life at Christmastime). They also have a video store next door which has EVERYTHING.

I don’t know if you’re a drinker, but I do so in moderation. So, then you have the Colley Cantina, The Red Dog Saloon (my fave), Kelly’s Tavern, The Wild Monkey (go see Jeff the bartender), Magnolia... Just a tons of stuff.

Then First Lutheran Church is right there, which I’ve been attending for a few months. That’s actually a good landmark as it’s huge. The Fair Grounds is in the parking lot next to the church.

It’s a great neighborhood, but I’m starting to sound like I work for the Norfolk Board of Tourism, and I don’t wanna derail the thread.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/dining/Detail.cfm?id=725

JOHN!

[This message has been edited by JOHN (edited August 12, 2005).]

JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'll derail the thread then.

Elliots is where I get my coffee from, though I've never actually hung out there yet. I have a friend who lives down by the Taphouse, which I have hung out there on several occasions including "10 hrs of Drinking".
I went to the Naro to watch March of the Penguins. Wonderful place, great movie! I've been in the video store too, very good selections.
I notice you've mentioned Kelly's, but have you been down to Mo and O'Malley's and caught the Don Brunch show? If you haven't, you don't know what you are missing out on. They usually play on the 1st and 3rd weekend, but Don is getting married next week and I don't think they'll be playing.
I'll google up the other bars because I can always stand for a new place to visit.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

I love the Tap House, and I LOVE Mo and O’Malley’s. I was just keeping my suggestions to Colley Ave. Hell’s Kitchen downtown ain’t bad either. Bardo’s or Bardos is a restaurant, but they have a good bar.

Shoot me an email if you want talk more.

johnlewisjr89@gmail.com

JOHN!

benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've visited the New Inn a couple of times.
It's opposite the Kwik Fit garage I spoke about.

Anybody else go to any pubs ever?

Oh yes, this was about Bookcrossing. Sorry.

(I'm only messin' with you guys. No offense intended).

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.