Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Self-Publishing

Author Topic: Self-Publishing
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
I have many friends who are very committed to writing. One of these in fact is starting her own publishing company in order to publish a children's book she's written (she's written more than children's books, but that's what she's decided to start out with). Now, what is everyone's view on self-publishing? Is it ok to self-publish? Does it take anything away from the aspect of publishing? The only things I can think of are that A) You will never know if an established company would have published your story and B) It might not be carried in as many stores (If any).
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, though the idea of self-publishing is tempting, I started this game by wanting someone else to publish what I wrote (and, preferably, pay me for it).

Though I've written, oh, several novels (I've lost count), I've felt that the world and I can bear up under the idea of them remaining in manuscript and not between the covers of a book.

(I do have an idea for self-publishing some non-fiction---but that would be a better topic for the non-ficton board, perhaps when I've actually written some of it down.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
It's useful to regard commercial publishing and self-publishing as two separate, if related, industries, rather like parallel lines that never touch.

With the advent of POD technology, self-publishing has become much cheaper and more accessible. It is largely responsible for the huge rise in the number of books listed as being published every year.

The disadvantage you cite--of not being able to get the book on the shelves in stores--is huge. It effectively means no copies of the book will be sold. Despite the easy availability of books online, the vast majority of sales are still made in physical stores. Amazon sales are a drop in the ocean in comparison.

'Successful' self-publishers will cite sales of 5000 copies. A commercial publisher would regard a book that sold 5000 copies as a failure.

Various claims are made for self-publishing, and many of the less scrupulous vanity publishers are quick to exploit their customers' ignorance of commercial publishing. They will often provide a marketing plan that includes sending copies of the book out to reviewers. Many equate that with getting the book reviewed, but it doesn't equate with that at all. One major spec fic magazine, for example, throws away all the self-published books they receive for review--they can't even give them away to charity, as they have no value. Nobody wants them.

Even if a self-published book happens to be excellent, it has to fight its way through a morass of s/p books that simply aren't. Thousands and thousands of them. It has to fight off the stigma of being self-published, a label that implies to anyone in the commercial publishing industry that it's badly written, badly (if at all) edited, and, basically, not worth the paper it's printed on. The writer will have to do all their own publicity, get their own reviews and their own signings, while dealing with reviewers and stores that are offered s/p books so frequently that they dismiss them without a second thought. All at their own expense, without even an advance to draw on.

This isn't to say that there are no self-publishing success stories. There are a few, and the same ones are usually brought up whenever this topic is raised. They are, however, very few compared to the number of failures.

For example, PublishAmerica, which claims to be a commercial publisher, but which is generally regarded in the industry as a vanity press that turns very few books away, has published 1000 books that have never sold a single copy. Not one.

Sorry to go on at such length .

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Does she want to self publish or start her own publishing business? These are two different things, although both are going to require a lot of time, effort, and tears.

Personally, I want my books on shelves in bookstores. I definitely think that there are niche markets that work for POD, particularly nonfiction targetted at a small audience, but children's books I don't see.

Well, let me put it this way. I've got about three months left until I'm going to be a mother. I've been going to *bookstores* to look at what kinds of books are out there for children nowadays and I sincerely doubt that anything will drive me online for this. Children's books, IMHO, would work even worse as a self publishing option than adult books.

Now, starting your own publishing company is a lot of work. I believe in a previous topic many moons ago the conclusion was: Do you want to be a writer or an editor? You have to do printing, marketting, research, sales...

POD, as offered by many companies, some of which are rip-offs, is often expensive. It is also often unfiltered. There are bad enough books coming out of the respected publishing companies....the print on demand ones don't even pre-screen most of the time. They just want some money and they intend to make it off of the author. Then good luck selling it. I've seen POD books listed for 50 dollards apiece! I don't care how good your book is!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I used to belong to the Pacific Northwest Association of Self-Publishers, and while the book I was working on never made it into print, I had a chance to meet with a number of self-publishers and learn from them. The ones who were successful had two things in common: they were filling a niche that traditional publishing houses weren't addressing, and they worked like dogs.

There is a common refrain amongst self-publishers: writing the book is only 10% of the work. The other 90% consists of marketing your book, and you have to treat it like a full time job. You have to issue press releases, attend trade shows, arrange for TV and radio interviews. Your book becomes your business.

There is a tremendous resource for self-publishers on yahoogroups.com. I suggest signing up for the self-publishing list.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Self-Publishing/
(Note: don't confuse Self-publishing with a hyphen for the selfpublishing(no hyphen) group. The no hypen group is a minimal activity group about comic books. You might want to sign up to this list in digest form as they sometimes generate over 1000 posts a month.) You will learn a LOT by reading the comments on this list by self publishers. You have to be a member of the list to read the archives. There are several very successful self-publishers (including Dan Poynter) who contribute to this list, and several of them are children's book authors.

Your friend should also buy (not borrow) a copy of "The Self Publishing Manual" by Dan Poynter, which is the bible of self-publishing.

Here is another good resource:
http://www.creativemindspress.com/misc.htm

Your friend should make the decision to self-publish on whether she is willing to do the additional work to make the book a success. You won't be able to fill in by proxy for her. She should spend time researching the field and teaching herself the mechanics of what will be required. She'll have to learn about ISBN numbers, book wholesalers, printing, and self-promotion.

It's a difficult call, and not a decision to be made lightly. Stay away from vanity presses (you lose copyrights when you use them and they will never market your book properly--sometimes not at all.)

And for heaven's sake she should be doing internet research on the topic before making her decision. There is a ton of information out there on self-publishing: just GOOGLE it. Become knowledgeable. And she should treat it like she would any other business, with a business plan and a marketing plan in writing.

I hope that helps!

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

There is indeed a ton of information out there about self-publishing. Unfortunately, much of it is actively misleading.

Treat with caution anything that talks about "traditional publishing" ; "bricks and mortar bookstores" ; "my book was rejected because it was too controversial" or tells you that you can sell loads of books online.

Most self-published authors are coy about their sales. Read into that what you will .

Mechwarrior
Member # 2796

- posted      Profile for Mechwarrior   Email Mechwarrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Sort of stretching the thread, but CNN's website had an article the other day about how small/micro publishers are finding lots of sucess with Amazon.com. They get treated the same as big publishers and Amazon.com pays them on a regular basis.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/15/books.amazon.com.ap/index.html

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine - My friend wants to start her own publishing businesses while at the same time the first book she does want to publish is one of her own children's books. Does that help?
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your friend will be taken more seriously if the first book she publishes is by someone else, for the obvious reason of making the point she is not vanity publishing.

My brother set up his own publishing business and it was a lot of hard work. As a small press, he had to edit, format and print the books. He had then to commission the art work, and promote the book, which for a small press means personal visits so they take you seriously. By the time he had achieved some success he was too tired to keep it going. Also the income was much poorer than his previous job, despite working harder and longer hours.

Just something to think about.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links Elan. Great promo ideas could come from that.

I agree with Buffy, though. From what I've seen these self-publishing companies make a ton of cash while their customers flounder around waiting for "royalty" checks that never come.

I plan on puting all my energy for the time being on improving my work and selling my novel to the editors and then when I get my long-awaited break (thinking possitive) I'm going to pretend I self published and work my butt off to sell my book to the public.

I'll get back to y'all in about twenty years to let you know how it went.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Don't confuse vanity publishers with self-publishers. It's a fine line of distinction, and one that isn't clearly defined.

Think of it this way: To be a self publisher, you (the owner of this publishing business) would, after hours of research and writing a business plan, take your manuscript, format it in a desktop publishing program like In-Design, get price quotes from printers, commission someone to do the artwork for your cover, research and acquire the ISBN, LCCN, CIP, SAN and BISAC codes, contact wholesalers and book distributors like Ingram and Baker & Taylor, send out press releases, build a website, market your book in every imaginable way.

Sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? Print-on-demand, or vanity presses, will promise you that they will do all that, when in fact, what they usually do is: buy your copyright to your book (read the fine print, fool!) by providing you with their printing services. They won't be able to get you into the distribution channels for bookstores because they refuse to accept returns, which is a standard industry practice. Traditional booksellers abhore vanity presses and generally won't carry the books. A vanity press will swear your book will be a best seller, when a substantial number of books never sell beyond what the author buys. And as for marketing your book? Forget it.

There is a legitimate market for self-publishing out there, but you do need to be alert. The links I provided earlier will get you into the real world of self-publishing, not the pseudo-world of vanity presses.

Everyone, regardless of who you choose to publish your book, should do regular research on the Publishers Weekly site http://www.publishersweekly.com/ to see what is selling and what industry trends are.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not as familiar with the modern era of "desktop publishing," but, in my younger days, I knew I could take a manuscript, go out to a local printer, and contract for a certain number of copies to be printed in book form for a certain amount of money. It's an oversimplification as I've put it, with numerous details left out, but that's essentially all there is to it.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

I don't accept this distinction between self-publishing and vanity publishing. The latter is merely one way to achieve the former.

Self-publishing by whatever means always implies the lack of a gatekeeper, whether an agent, an editor or a publisher. Anyone can publish their own book--there is no standard to which they are held. The book may be good, bad or indifferent, but the only judge of that is the person who wrote it and is putting it into print. The stigma applies regardless of what name you give it.

If you are prepared to put in all the effort required to promote the book, you would probably achieve much more by marrying that effort to a publisher's efforts.

Thunderduck
Member # 2802

- posted      Profile for Thunderduck   Email Thunderduck         Edit/Delete Post 
I myself saw the river of using a publisher as being too crowded. I also found it to be a joke using Barnes and Noble, and Amazon. More than once I've seen writers invest thousands to purchase their own books just so they can reach the best sellers list. The only thing that you need with self publishing is the ability to self market your works. Anyone creative enough to write a book can find hundreds of outlets to distribute their books if only they take the time to search them out. You can get lost in this river of over crowding wannabe's,or slip around the mess on a stream of self satisfaction.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I'm an advocate of self-publishing, although I don't think it's for everyone. But it has its niche. "Huckleberry Finn," "Leaves of Grass," "Chicken Soup for the Soul", and "The Celestine Prophesy" were all initially self-published. There are many authors with GOOD works who cannot get into the door of traditional publishing, often because they are addressing a niche that the publisher feels is too narrow.

Yes, there is a lot of unsuccessful trash in amongst the plethora of titles being churned out annually by self-publishers. And yes, mainstream booksellers cast a wary eye on anyone who is self-published. But the industry is changing. Do a search on the topics of "self-publishing" or "small press" at Publisher's Weekly http://www.PublishersWeekly.com to see how the industry is reassessing this industry. Mainstream publishers are now eagerly picking up works by small press publishing houses once they've established a track record in sales.

I don't know that I would readily recommend the self-publishing route for fiction writers. It's harder to market a fiction book in a way that overcomes the mass selection printed each year by traditional publishers. Some successful fiction writers have addressed specific niches with their text. At one point, books written for older women fit this niche description; now publishers are seeing this as a viable demographic. One author I know formed a self-publishing company writing dog care manuals, targeted to a very specific audience (which he was selling very successfully). I'm aware of a self-publisher who has written a medical book on radiology that is too specific to make a profit for a large publisher, but as a self-publisher he can get it out into the hands of the people who need it, and still make a profit for himself.

And yes, one has to be aware of the fact that if a traditional publisher has rejected your manuscript, it COULD be because it's an inferior work... in which case, self-publishing will never be enough to make it sell.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't dismiss the entire industry as disreputable. There are a lot of great titles currently available in the small press/self-publishing industry. But I agree that there is a lot of stuff out there that is a waste of good paper. Much of the stuff that gets printed via vanity publishers and print-on-demand is pure crap that should have been tossed out with the slush.

But there are still nuggets of gold to be found in the self-publishing industry. If you have any inclinations this direction, do your research. There are pros and cons both ways to self-publishing.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No, there are legitimate companies that will help you self publish, and there is a clear distinction between those companies and vanity publishers. Basically, vanity publishers claim to be publishing your work. They often charge you for "services" that cost them virtually nothing and do you no good whatsoever other than losing you your rights to the work, but the important thing is that they claim to be publishing it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

Survivor is correct. More important than the fact that they claim to be the publisher, is the fact that they ARE the publisher. By that, I mean that anyone who offers to sell you an ISBN number for cheap can do it because they have bought the number and your book will forever more be listed in THEIR catalog, meaning you won't be free to do what you wish with it. The only legitimate way to get an ISBN number is through R.R. BOWKER http://www.bowker.com/. Of course, if you are publishing thru a traditional publisher you don't have to be as worried about being shafted. But vanity presses will make promises that are too good to be true. Literally. Before jumping into the self-publishing pond, you need to figure out how to identify the fish from the sharks.
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, there are printing and publicity services that can bilk you with intimations of getting "published". But that tends to be a gray area. One line is as good as another. I think that there is something inherently outrageous about somebody offering a deal where you pay them to take control of your rights. It's on a different level from someone claiming that their product or service will gain you something that it actually will not.
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

Yes, self-publishing can be a valid route for non-fiction that addresses a niche market, but that's not what was asked about.

Whether or not a company is reputable is not what distinguishes self-publishing from vanity publishing. Vanity is one way to self-publish. There are others, including the lulu/POD route, but it's all still self-publishing, even if you try to pretend your book has been published by a legitimate small press. Self-publishing does not suddenly become a good idea just because you're not being ripped off, it only becomes a cheaper bad idea .

There may well be a few nuggets of gold in and amongst the vast majority of s/p works that are, simply, trash. However, most readers have delegated the task of searching through the trash and trying to find those nuggets to agents, editors and publishers. I don't have the time to read eleven thousand PublishAmerica novels in order to find the one that's worth reading, and nor, when it comes down to it, does anyone else. Certainly not the editors at PA, or they'd spot the hoax submissions before accepting them for publication.

Lots of novels that are now regarded as literary classics were indeed self-published, but in a very different market and atmosphere from today's. What worked for Twain or the Brontes isn't necessarily going to work now.

It is very frustrating trying to get a commercial publisher to buy your book, but I suspect that's nothing to the frustration of self-publishing, then trying to get Locus to review the book, or a store to stock the book, or a reader to buy the book. Marketing is hard enough with a big name publisher behind you, never mind with the huge s/p stigma holding you back.

Survivor
Member # 213

If you are famous or at least known to most of the people that will buy your book, self-publishing isn't actually such a bad idea. I could wish that more professors who insist on writing a new text book for their own classes every year self published rather than inflicting $200 books on their students year after year.

The key thing to understand is that if you actually self publish, you will be the only publisher. That should be obvious, but somehow people always forget what that means.

BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

Given the number of famous people whose books don't earn out their advances, I wonder how true that is...
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Article in today's (21 August 2005) Deseret News (Salt Lake City paper):

http://deseretnews.com/dn/print/1,1442,600156944,00.html

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

- posted      Profile for Thunderduck   Email Thunderduck         Edit/Delete Post 
Great article Kathleen. Thanks for sharing
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

Evidently self-publishing is indeed good business...for the printers, the suppliers of bar codes and ISBNs, and Amazon.
JarrodHenry
Member # 2800

- posted      Profile for JarrodHenry   Email JarrodHenry         Edit/Delete Post 
Inevitably it comes down to marketing and knowing your demographic. If you're going to write a book for a target audience of less than a few thousand people, you might consider going the self-publishing / lulu route.

If you're, however, going to write a book for a mainstream genre like "space SF" or "fantasy".. then you're going to reach more people by doing the mainstream method.

I'm not ripping self-publishing. My short stories that don't get accepted after a few years are getting put into a file and might end up in a lulu compendium sometime down the road after I've given up on them.

But that doesn't mean I expect them to sell.

A few of my very targeted stories might end up self published.. but.. by and large, everything I do is sports-fiction, scifi, fantasy, or thriller.. all of those have a large target market, and therefore printing on Lulu or other such press's sounds interesting but.. truly.. isn't.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.