Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pen Name

Author Topic: Pen Name
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

- posted      Profile for Thunderduck   Email Thunderduck         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I have been using the pen name "Thunderduck" for quite some time, I recently became the brunt of "Family" jokes over using it. I created the name because a writer once commented that my poetic works had both power and softness to them. So now I ask you pros your opinions. Is the name ok?
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. So you created the name because of what someone else said about you, and now you're asking us for what we think.

What do YOU think your name should be?

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

- posted      Profile for Thunderduck   Email Thunderduck         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy with my choice. But still want others opinions
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're asking me how I think I would respond to the name if I saw it on a book...that's one thing. If you're asking me how the average reader would respond...that's something else entirely. For me, Thunderduck would inspire enough curiosity to take a second look at the spine of the book in question. For others, well...I can't say. It greatly depends on the kind of book you put it on. I'd estimate a high probability that children and adults (like myself) who are still in touch with their inner child would absolutely love it. Others...perhaps not so much. I agree with mike in that the decision is entirely up to you, and should probably be bereft of input from others. After all, we don't know you even half as well as you know yourself. And a pen name usually is a reflection of the named, no?

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RagDoll
Member # 2757

- posted      Profile for RagDoll   Email RagDoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Power and softness...thunderduck sounds about right to me. As was previously mentioned, who cares what others think? If it bothers you so much to be ridiculed by family, maybe you should get a slightly thicker skin (I personally think the name is pretty cute). I dont know your style, so I cant really make any recommendations for a new name. Good luck finding one though.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a Disney character with gastritis to me.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mechwarrior
Member # 2796

- posted      Profile for Mechwarrior   Email Mechwarrior         Edit/Delete Post 
What's Thunderduck in Latin? Maybe if it sounded more auspicious your family wouldn't laugh (as much)

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a pretty funny sounding name. If you're not okay with that, then don't use it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd fully expect the book to be comedic or something tongue in cheek. Maybe a Lemony Snicket kind of thing. I would have a VERY hard time taking any book written by someone named Thunderduck seriously.

Sorry.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

I guess when I read between the lines of the comments so far I guess it's a great choice. So I'll stick with it. Strange how comments were serious up to a point, then you add the "Comic" factor and suddenly everybody wants to be a comedian. Maybe I'll write comedy and challenge the beaten path.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thoroughly horrified by the name Thunderduck. I think it's offensive to ducks -- and believe me, you don't want to get ducks angry at you.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can think when I read Thunderduck is Howard the Duck.
Need I say more?

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I'm a bit puzzled, because all the comments before Thunderducks last post seemed to be perfectly serious.

Then he says that everybody wants to be a comedian, and we start getting tongue in cheek comments about offending ducks.

But he was the one that first mentioned that some people think the name is a joke. I'm still confused as to whether it is supposed to be a joke or not. If it isn't, then that's a bit of a problem. I cannot, for the life of me, take that name seriously. I'm thinking of things like Disney characters dressed up as comic book superheroes and real ducks quacking thundrously and a fictional device designed to test critical reentry parts by throwing ducks at supersonic velocities into the tested part...those are all pretty funny images in my mind.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
>>and we start getting tongue in cheek comments about offending ducks<<

it may have been an in-joke bleeding over from Liberty Hall. knowing Will, the name tickled his sense of humor.

and that's probably all it was, i think.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't have tried to read between my lines, Tduck. Because there's nothing there. My post was plain and up front. I think it's a silly name. So if you want to inform your audience--right from your pen name on the cover--that your book is going to be silly, go for it. But if you want to be taken seriously, change it.

IMO, of course.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

I mentioned no one particular in my "Between the lines" comment. So if some inner moment of thought leads anyone to think I meant them, then they, not I have placed themselves within a given catagory. So far I've sold over 900 copies of said Pen Name and resales are climbing. My question was more on what to do with my family and they're joking. My apologies if I wasn't clear enough on the subject. As far as the name Thunderduck goes. If you type it in any search window you'll find lots of sites, companies, and colleges that use it. Now just how funny is it in the real world? Once again my apologies if I wasn't clear on my meaning. Hey I'm a rookie in here lol.
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I was being quite serious too. The name reminds me of Howard the Duck.

The comment - "Need I say more" and the were there because who really needs to say more about Howard the Duck. That part was less than serious.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, my first thought was a Saturday morning cartoon. I wondered if Thunder Cats hunted ThunderDucks or are they more civilized than that -- seeing as how they come from another planet.

I don't think you can do anything about your family's joking unless you plan to change your name. The name ThunderDuck just spawns too many jokes -- you can't change that. Especially since many poets tend to be so serious, a Poet named ThunderDuck is just too tempting a target. Any number of funny situations and/or stories pop into mind just thinking about it.
I'd say either change your pen name or let the comments flow off your back like -- well -- like a duck's.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

I guess I achieved an objective though I wasn't originally intending to reach for one. To some the name is funny, to some it is down right silly. And to others it draws deeper meanings. I guess all in all it did the one thing that all pen names should. It drew attention.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, is that what you were after? Glad we could help.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

No Beth it wasn't what I was after. But if a fish jumps in my boat I'm going to consume it for all it's worth, both good or bad.

[This message has been edited by Thunderduck (edited August 19, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

You asked for opinions. If you only want validation, then say that up front.

I'm not surprised that the term gets a lot of hits. It's a funny name. If you like that, then it's all to the good. But if you don't, then we can't make it any less funny.

Thunderduck
Member # 2802

Survivor,
First of all I appreciate your comment. If you read the string "completely", you'll find that it wasn't my intention. I mean honestly, the only thing I've ever needed validated was a parking ticket.

Survivor
Member # 213

I don't understand what you're saying. At first, you said you wanted opinions. Then, more recently, you claimed that you didn't get what you were after.

But everything you got was opinions. So just what is it that you got that wasn't what you wanted?

Beth
Member # 2192

No, survivor, in his reply to me, he's claiming that he didn't just want *attention*. I don't think he's saying he didn't want opinions.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should turn this into a more general discussion of pen names.

If you had to use a pen name, for whatever reason, how would you pick it?

Would you use some variation on a family name (as some writers have done) or would you try to come up with something totally different?

Would you use a different pen name for different kinds of work? Would you use something romantic sounding for romance, or would you choose against type?

And so on.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe not.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm game

Seeing as there's several authors that share my name, I've been toying with the idea of, "L.G. Young".

Does this sound like a good pen name? Or is it too boring?

[This message has been edited by Varishta (edited August 20, 2005).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

It's got a sit up and notice ring to it
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

Beth,
Thanks for explaining it to Survivor.

AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a pen name for years when I was younger becasue I didn't want to do or write something stupid and be personally associated with it for the rest of life. It was the name of a character in some of the first stories I ever wrote, and I never plan on using it (the name) professionally, unless I some day publish those stories (which isn't very likely). Then I was out of the writing loop for a while, and when I recently decided to get back in I thought it was time to go in as my true self.

Actually, I posted quite a bit to this board under my pen name at the time, which is why I'm listed as a "new member" here, even though in reality I've been around for quite some time.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

You two must have some weird kind of telepathy. I didn't understand that exchange at all.

I don't think that I would bother with using a pen name, as such. But I would probably use different variations/arrangments of my given name for very different genres.

When a pen-name is conventional/required, I have mixed luck. I picked out "Survivor" only months before someone decided to use it as the name of some stupid "reality" show. I've only watched part of one episode of Survivor, it was the final episode of the first season, and it was soooo long and pointless and boring. Maybe it would have been interesting if I'd watched all the other episodes, but I assumed (or perhaps just hoped) that it would be canceled pretty soon.

Actually, it's been a while since I heard of it. Maybe it was eventually canceled.

Some other "pen" names, "Obsidian Solitaire", "Azrael", "WraithSword", "Imperitor Ferx", stuff like that. Sometimes the imagery is obvious, sometimes rather abstruse. Occasionally I'm being a bit funny or at least ironic. I sometimes choose manga/comic characters, too. It's hard to find good ones, though. Making up a nom de plume is usually much easier.

If I had to write under a convincing pseudonym, I'd go Varishta's route and just pick something boring.

And write a bio containing references to my cats.

Thunderduck
Member # 2802

Yes it's true brains of higher calibre often posess this "Weird" telepathy. But really it's simple enough that if you actually read the string that you can grasp it. I find "Survivor" the show to be an indepth study of human abilities. Not that I watch it all the time, but when I do I try to learn more about the nature of those sharing this world with me. Sometimes it saddens me, and other times I'm cracking up inside. Thanks for your comment Survivor, as always it's appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Thunderduck (edited August 22, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

would just like to deny any kind of weird telepathy with TD. For the record.
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If I had to write under a convincing pseudonym, I'd go Varishta's route and just pick something boring.

Aha! So it is boring!

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JarrodHenry
Member # 2800

- posted      Profile for JarrodHenry   Email JarrodHenry         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this sounds bad.. but..

If the author's name sounds too pretentious or it sounds too fake, I won't read it. Regardless. And if it sounds like an internet or forum handle, I won't read it either. Generally, I want to see that there is a human sounding name behind what I read. If it sounds made up, I tend to shy away from it, because that reads to me as people taking themselves too seriously.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If the author's name sounds too pretentious or it sounds too fake, I won't read it

What do you think of the name "Wellington DaSilva"?

It it too pretentious?

How about:

W. M. DaSilva

Wellington M. DaSilva

Wellington Marques DaSilva?

The reason I ask is that, well, those are my real names, and for some reason they feel like fake names. Brazillians have a penchant for obscure, royal sounding names...

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
JarrodHenry
Member # 2800

- posted      Profile for JarrodHenry   Email JarrodHenry         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh.

Funny you should mention that particular name. One of my good friends from a while back is a brazillian woman by the name of Vivanne DaSilva.

So.. no, that doesn't.. not at all. I'm thinking more of names like:

Silver Moonfire
or
Obsidian Rainbow
or
Katz Miaux

Things like that. Perhaps pretentious was too.. well, unclear. Perhaps I should have said "Self Important."

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a fictional device designed to test critical reentry parts by throwing ducks at supersonic velocities into the tested part...

I guess the fictional aspect of this description is that it throws ducks instead of frozen chickens.

Thunderduck, are you any relation to Safety Duck? Probably not, but I had to ask. The best part about Safety Duck was his theme song, which was comprised of the Janet Jackson hit "Nasty Boys" just with "Safety Duck" replacing the title phrase. I guess Safety Duck was simply an emanation of my passive agression on a day when I had to drive to the city dump with my 13 year old brother-in-law. It was a stuffed toy duck whose head was nearly as bit as its body.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

Don't forget Toilet Duck.

When an editor or producer got Harlan Ellison upset, he would pull his name off the manuscript and substitute Cordwainer Bird, thus flipping them off.

Thunderduck
Member # 2802

Judging from my family Tree/Pond, Safety Duck is a 5th cousin twice removed
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

I thought it was "Ode De Toilet Duck" Spaceman.A cute duck with an astronauts helmet on? Is that the one?

[This message has been edited by Thunderduck (edited August 23, 2005).]

Spaceman
Member # 9240

I was thinking of the toilet cleaning stuff in the bottle shaped like a duck.
Thunderduck
Member # 2802

I found it on the web Spaceman. I had to order some just for the bottle, being a collector of ducks. Comes in a gel too.
Thanks.
The stuff I was talking about was some other bath product made in
France I think.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

You probably could have bought some at the local grocery store.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.