Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 20. No Serial Killer Stories AND 28. Dont base it on a D&D campaign

Author Topic: 20. No Serial Killer Stories AND 28. Dont base it on a D&D campaign
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess these 2 kind of kill my novel then.
Seeing as it is about a serial killer who tracks down his victims through the playing of an online D&D game.

Lol.

Reckon I should start something new?

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh... I don't think it means that at all. "based on a D&D campaign" to me, means that the plot itself reads like a D&D.

As for the serial killer stories, most likely he means no "typical" serial killer stories. I mean, think about it, how many hundreds of serial killer stories do you see everyday? On the news, in the newspaper, in TV shows, and even in the horror genre of books.

Your serial killer who makes use of an online D&D game to pick his victims is probably not your stereotypical serial killer. I say keep writing the story and see what you think of it after. I'd be willing to read it.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
CAn someone post a link? I've been over at ERic's blog, but I can't find these rules.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to click on the 'read more' link in the blog to get to the rules. They are on the day 1 entry.
Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
and I think, as Eric said somewhere else, these are not Rules and they're not written in stone and there are exceptions. You just need to be doubly brilliant to pull one of these things off.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked them all except the "no ___ stories" ones: no waking up, no serial killers, no high school. Thing is, I don't see these as drawbacks. I get that they may be common in the slush pile.

I thought about this, and I've written one "MC just woke up" story, and one story in high school. (Out of some 30-40 stories.) Ah, well. I hope the editors will look at the quality of the story, rather than having knee-jerk.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one tempted to take all those "thou shalt not" edicts and try to figure out how to make a clever, new story with them? Heh. Naw, too much trouble.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Those rules very much remind me of my Trial Advocacy class at law school. We got a lecture on "The Ten Commandments of Cross-Examination." The lecturer, a judge and former litigator, began the lecture by saying:

"There are ten commandments to conducting minimally competent cross-examinations. I say minimal competence because it's the lowest acceptable standard. It's also a standard most of you will never reach. But with these commandments, some of you might avoid making fools of yourselves in court.
A virtuoso litigator--a master of the craft--can and will break each and every of these commandments. But YOU must NEVER, EVER, EVER break ANY of these rules."

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Am I the only one tempted to take all those "thou shalt not" edicts and try to figure out how to make a clever, new story with them? Heh. Naw, too much trouble.

Apparently that is a cliché unto itself. I think the Turkey City Lexicon (or perhaps another such "Thou Shalt Not Write..." list) cautions against trying to get cute by writing against as many rules in one story as you possibly can.

That said, we had some fun last week at Liberty Hall with the Do Your Worst Challenge...

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Not based on a D & D campaign? What if your selling to WIzards of the Coast? (Just kidding I do belive that you can write a dragonlance novel without clinging to the D & D structure.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify, Kathy Wentworth was to some extent talking about WOTF specifically. While WOTF is open to horror stories, they must be supernatural horror, not just crazy serial killer horror.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
I know publishing professionals who are strongly opposed to the trend of basing characters in Horror novels on D&D characters. Going back to source material and/or basing characters in less well-used traditions might give a new writer an edge.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
frogcat
Member # 2820

- posted      Profile for frogcat           Edit/Delete Post 
can someone post a link please?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ericjamesstone.com/blog/index.php/2005/08/14/writers_of_the_future_workshop_notes_day_1 (You have to scroll down a ways.)
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see that little part at the end that said scroll down...

[This message has been edited by Mystic (edited August 23, 2005).]

Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

Mystic, you see that big link in the message above yours? Click on it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.