Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » showing time shifts

Author Topic: showing time shifts
Jon Roberts
Member # 2804

- posted      Profile for Jon Roberts   Email Jon Roberts         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a story that takes place in two different times. While the action is moving forward in the present, the character is also having flashbacks to forgotten memories that happened a year before. How can I show this without just saying, "he was dreaming again." before every "flashback"? Just to clear it up, they aren't so much flashbacks as two parallel narratives.

Jon

Posts: 20 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
You could alternate chapters. So one would be: Chapter One, Prestent, A Really Cool Chapter title. And the next one would be Chapter Two, Past, Another Really Cool Title Chapter. That's one way...just be aware that readers might resent flipping back and forth. OSC did a similar thing in his novel, Enchantment. In between chapters, there'd be a mini-chapter labeled "Baba Yaga," which would then be followed by a short scene of the bad-guy at work. These were kept short, though, so I didn't resent him switiching POV on me every chapter.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
At the very least you need section breaks. Don't do the switch without them; it confuses the reader.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are really flipping at every break, the reader will pick up on the rhythm fairly quickly. Just follow the same rules that you use for establishing a new POV after a section break, since it's essentially the same thing.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.