Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Better read aloud, or silently?

Author Topic: Better read aloud, or silently?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think your stories are better read aloud, or read silently? And why?

Or does it not make any difference to you?

I recently heard MaryRobinette's 'Rampion' read aloud and liked it much better that way than read silently from the screen.

Mine are better read aloud, IMO. This is because I tend to write personal essays in a lyrical style.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it truly depends upon the reader. As someone who routinely takes advantage of the National Library Service's books on tape for the blind and visually impaired, I can tell you that I've stopped reading books for something that was no fault of the author'. For a crude example, let's a nalyze the female voice reading a romantic novel to me -- especially an old woman. This is a distinctly uncomfortable way to read the book and I'm afraid that it just doesn't affect me the same way as a deep bearatone.

But in any genre, in any book, there are people who have no business reading the story out loud. Honestly, I think any story can blossom when read aloud in a story teller style, but it is quite easy for it to wither and die too.

I need to listen to Mary's story...

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But in any genre, in any book, there are people who have no business reading the story out loud.

Absolutely. But I must wonder why so many books on tape are contracted out to so many poor narrators? I've been known to curse and throw a tape out the car window after trying valiantly to put up with really horrible narration.

I honestly think that some people are never tried out, and win a contract based purely on their CVs.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that I'm only articulate at the typewriter, not orally, probably influences my reading habits as well---I've never taken to books-on-tape, though I have a selection of a few on hand. (I am fond of radio dramatizations and such.)

There's also the convenience of being able to go back and forth in the book at will, to open it at any page and read in one direction or the other...with a book-on-tape, it's all linear.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lullaby Lady
Member # 1840

- posted      Profile for Lullaby Lady   Email Lullaby Lady         Edit/Delete Post 
I love reading aloud to my kids, because I get twice the amount of story through my head. I see the words visually, and I also hear them, so things just seem to stick better.

When I write, I can find the flaws rather quickly as I listen to what I've written.

~LL

Posts: 212 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, with NLS there's no contracting involved -- people volunteer. I just wish they'd volunteer to do something else and leave my poor ears alone.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that, yes, sometimes it does depend on the reader. At Worldcon I went to Brian Aldiss's reading. Two of the stories he read aloud I'd already read and thought they were okay. But listening to Brian read them they were absolutely brilliant! The humour especially came over a lot better.

I've only ever read my own stuff aloud on a few very rare occasions and certainly don't rate myself as anything close to a 'professional' voice!

It's true, though, that you can pick up unforeseen flaws in a story's rhythm and general style whilst reading it aloud.

[This message has been edited by Paul-girtbooks (edited August 24, 2005).]

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading something aloud can add a lot to a piece, as has been stated: it can help set tone, draw out humor, and essential polish and let shine every bit of the story. But most people don't read books aloud, and bad narrators might mess it up anyway. Shouldn't the point then, be to write so vividly that humor/tone/awesomeness comes across without it being spoken?
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a thread on another board about how to read aloud, because there are tricks to it.

I think some authors are better aloud. Rudyard Kipling's "Just So Stories" are specifically designed to be read aloud. Much of Bradbury I think is better aloud, than not.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. Books and stories used to be read aloud much more than they are today. Once upon a time, people would sit around the parlour and listen to a story. I wonder how much of the "Dear Reader" direct address to the audience worked because the author knew their story was likely to be read aloud. In that case, one would constantly be aware that one was being told a story. Whereas now, with the popularity of deep penetration 3rd person, it's easy to start thinking the thoughts of the POV character. So when a narrator reminds us that we're being told a story it's more jarring.

With that in mind, I wonder if the style of stories will shift now that books on tape are becoming popular. I could see a rise in first person narration as a possibility.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited August 24, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

I didn't think about this much until I started reading my poems aloud at venues.

They were extremely popular, but I'm fairly certain this was due to how I read them (very dramatically, with differing voices and accents) not because they were amazing poems. People would come up to me later and say, "I'd read your piece before, but it was so much better when you read it aloud!"

Seeing as there are no "open novel" nights, I think I'll have to work on improving the words, so they can speak on their own...

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Would providing a narrated story via RSS feed on a private website constitute publication? Obviously, I'm thinking of Liberty Hall. But if posting stories there for workshopping purposes doesn't constitute publication, then surely posting audible stories there would also not? Did that make sense?
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently condensing my highly rough first draft into a more concise, condensed second "first" draft. (I consider them both first drafts, as the original is more in game format, not book format with wildly fluctuating POV.

I have a friend who has a wonderfully dramatic speaking voice. He's also dyslexic, and until recently has never been a reader due to the tough time he has reading. He's recently discovered books on tape, and he has become enthralled. He loved OSC's Enders Game and has chewed through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series... twice.

He knows about my writing efforts and has volunteered to do the voice for an audio version of my book when it's done. That may be a way away, yet, but it's started me thinking about how I write.

I'm writing a fantasy fiction, and I don't always use contractions. It seems more normal and more in line with the genre to spell most words out. Yet it won't seem the same if it's read aloud; the prose would probably sound much more stilted. I also tend to use big words, and while *I* talk like that, most readers don't.

I'm thinking that after I get my second first draft done, I should go back through the whole thing and read the sucker aloud, specifically to help identify spots where I need to simplify the dialog.

Anyone else use the read-aloud method as a way to proofread sentence flow and structure?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely read stuff out loud. It exposes a lot of awkwardnesses. Basically anything that sounds stupid or awkward or wrong as I'm reading it gets a closer look, as does anything that I stumble on while reading. Even better if you can get someone else to read it for you, I've heard, but I'm too chicken to do that.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
High quality prose is always improved by an excellent reader. If your text can't be read aloud without suffering, then you need to work on your prose.

However, most people aren't all that good at reading aloud.

I read "aloud" in my own head, the same way I sometimes listen to music I like. Nobody else can hear me (except when I bust out laughing at something), but that's okay...usually. Sometimes I have to read aloud, and it's a bit...not as great.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I think reading aloud is like barbequing. It's nice when you can do it, but it is not a pre-requisite.

Christine, are you visually impaired? I used to read for a blind woman.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, you asked, "Would providing a narrated story via RSS feed on a private website constitute publication?" I think it would count, but I'm not certain. It depends on how private the website is, I guess.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Creativity Rising
Member # 2666

- posted      Profile for Creativity Rising   Email Creativity Rising         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually spend at least a half hour each nigh reading aloud to my wife. Then we usually listen to an audio casette (if available or I continue on reading).

I was trained somewhat in dramatic arts so I'm learned some good reading skills and can act out different parts in a novel, which I enjoy and so does my (most of the time).

I've found reading aloud helps tremendously with writing poetry, narrative or dialogue. I know Dickens would act out all the lines in his novels in front of mirror. It was one of his secrets to creating such virbrant characters.

The other advantage I find to audio books is that it gives the eyes a break. I spend up to eight hours in front of the computer reading, and enjoy the break, even if the reader isn't the best.

John

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.