Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Query letter/synopsis -- How to

Author Topic: Query letter/synopsis -- How to
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any good online resources for crafting the all important query letter and novel synopsis?

Thanks,

Sili

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the be-all, end-all on the subject, but there's some great information and suggestions at www.zackcompany.com/submissions/submissions_main.htm

Check out the information on the links on that page. This is the site of an established agent who has done a fair amount of work in keeping authors informed about agents and their procedures.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
The novel query letter is one of most important documents you'll ever write.

I discussed this very question with OSC at bootcamp, outside of class, with my novel at the heart of the question. I showed him what I wrote as back cover copy, which is a very good summary of my book. He told me to use that in the (pre-query) query letter.

My suggestion for any novelist is to try to generate what you want to see on the back cover, and use that as the heart of your query letter.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

To whom it may concern:

Thank you for taking the time in your frantic schedule to read this letter. I found your name in the 2000 edition of Writer's Market, and hope you are still taking submissions. Enclosed you will find the exciting psycho-thriller, "The Secret Uranium Mines Of Kazakhstan."

I know that you usually publish Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Spectacular fiction, but I thought that since Kazakh is a language full of unusual words like "kyzyl" and "uchkaduk" that this work might find a niche in this market.

I have already completed the first two chapters ("Vodka Capitalism" and "Radioactive Camels") but will happily send you the rest as soon as they are completed.

As this is a first draft, I was hoping that you or another editor could check to make sure that the spelling and grammar is in order? I'm sure most of its fine, but sometimes MSWord misses things.

Even though I have written numerous fanfics for my Northern Exposure website, this is my first book and I want it to be the best it can be. If you have any questions, please give me a call straightaway at (555)555-5234.

If I don't hear from you in two weeks, I will
regrettably have to send my book to another publishing company -- but would really like to go with yours.

Sincerely,

Varishta Brookes

P.S. If you cannot accept this manuscript at the moment, could you please kindly return the enclosed chapters? They're copywrited. Thanks.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Aieeee!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
genius! especially this: "I thought that since Kazakh is a language full of unusual words like "kyzyl" and "uchkaduk" that this work might find a niche in this market."

But I think you forgot the part about how much better your book is than the crap they usually publish, so you know they'll be delighted to read yours.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh. I actually cringed reading that! I'm still shuddering whenever I think about particular parts. Brilliant!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ROLLING!

Varishta, that was genius!

Put that in Writer's Class. Title: The Query Letter You MUST NEVER Send. Or, How NOT to Find a Publisher in One Easy Step.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.