Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Rejection question

Author Topic: Rejection question
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post very often but I spend plenty of time here lurking and reading all the interesting and useful information you all post. Now though, I have a couple of questions I thought I might like to ask so I've been forced to de-lurk.

Today I received my very first rejection letter that wasn't simply a form rejection. In it the agent says she enjoyed the sample chapters and found the synopsis intriguing.

So far so good, but now she comes to her reason for rejecting it. Basically, she says she believes that it could do with some editorial work since she thinks the beginning is somewhat abrupt. She actually states that, contrary to her usual recommendations, she would like to see more exposition in this case and poses a couple of questions for me to think about.

Next she comments briefly on the synopsis and general outline of the novel before moving onto the penultimate paragraph where she recommends a couple of editorial agencies in case I wish to have my work editorially assessed. The last paragraph then says that she would definitely like to see my submission again in that case along with a letter contanining some information about myself.

So here's my problem. Will she only want to see my manuscript again after I have received professional editorial advice, or would she if I made some changes myself to fit in with her comments? Is it worth seeking editorial advice from an agency? It does appear expensive when I checked it out, but would it make a difference? I'm a little hesitant about that kind of thing not only because of the cost but because it was recommended by the agent. Will her agency have some kind of interest in this, or is it somply that they are dealing with so many submissions now that they are looking for somebody else to do a lot of the editting work before it gets to them in order to make their jobs easier?

I was considering sending the manuscript to a couple of other agencies first to see what kind of a reaction I get from them, but thought I'd seek some opinions here in the meantime.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting.

I think that the answer to your first question answers all your other questions. If she will only want to see your manuscript again after you have received professional editorial advice, then there might be something fishy about that. If there is something fishy, then it might not be worth seeking.

However, professional editing should be costly. Don't let that surprise you or make you suspicious. It's just like hiring someone to remodel your home...it's real work, and it takes real money to hire someone to do it for you. Of course, there are builders who will take shameless advantage of the novice homeowner.

As a writer, you'll probably want to have those skills yourself eventually anyway, and you won't get them by sending your stuff to be professionally edited (though you will learn a lot, if you pay attention). A few good writing classes might or might not be a better investment. I can't really speak to that issue.

For me, the somewhat odd part is that you're submitting to agents rather than to publishers. That requires a lot more caution, I think. A publisher has to pay you if you're good. The same isn't true of an agent. It is a bit of a conflict of interest situation, isn't it?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I recommend doing some research. Find out if there is a connection between the agent and the editorial companies she suggested. (Did she suggest a specific company?) This may be highly suspect.

But it sounds to me as if she thinks your manuscript is close and is willing to take another look once you make changes. The editorial thing is just one way of getting you some good solid help in making those changes.

Research, research, research. Find reputable editorial help places, and then if you are able, be willing to invest in your own work. At some point you have to.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
From the SFWA website:
quote:
An agent should not refer you to an outside service for which you have to pay. An agent's job is to make money for you, not to not find ways for you to give money away. A kickback arrangement is often the incentive for such referrals. If an agent tells you your manuscript needs work and then recommends a specific editing service, the editing service may have promised to give the agent a percentage of whatever you wind up paying. The same goes for vanity publishers and fee-based print-on-demand self-publishing services, which often provide finder's fees to agents who persuade their clients to accept pay-to-publish contracts.

Note that there are times when an agent may suggest a writer hire a reputable independent editor--for instance, for a salable project that needs developmental work that the author, in the agent's judgment, can't provide. Such recommendations can be perfectly legitimate (though a writer should do some careful thinking before deciding to go this often very expensive route). But questionable editing schemes are extremely common, and receiving an editing referral should always make you wary. (For more on the pros and cons of independent editing, see the Book Doctors and Independent Editors page.)

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/agents.html

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Indeed. I think that the fact that your rejection letter included a basic rundown of the story along with some minor analysis tends to suggest that she is genuinely interested in your project. It seems like this is one of those "times when an agent may suggest a writer hire a reputable independent editor--for instance, for a salable project that needs developmental work that the author, in the agent's judgment, can't provide."

But you can't know just from something like that. It could be a further elaboration on the old scam. I go back to your first question. If she won't consider seeing your manuscript again unless you pay up, then it's no good.

Whether such editing might be worth your money...some of what you say argues that it wouldn't be anyway. If a service you've never used is giving you sticker shock, you should usually put it off till you really know you need it. And like I said, you're going to want to learn how to do this stuff for yourself well enough that someone else will pay the editor. That doesn't mean that you definitely shouldn't get it professionally edited, it just means there are valid reasons for holding off on that right now.

Really, the two are separate issues. You need to be confident that your agent makes money by representing successful writers rather than suckering marginal ones. Don't go with an agent if you don't believe in that person.

You need to believe that the editing service is going to be worth your money or it won't do you a lot of good. Don't pick up the service if you aren't confident it will really help you.

The only way those could be connected would be if this agent would only consider representing you if you paid for the suggested editing service. Still, that would only be a definite no on the agent and a big black mark on the editing service (effectively another no, since you seem to be leaning away from that already).

Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

Thanks for all your replies, and for the link Eric. I am erring more on the side of believing this suspicious than anything else but just wanted to get a few other opinions. I have started on a bit of research and was planning on doing quite a bit more before contemplating sending away my manuscript to an editorial agency. I'm quite sceptical about most things and tend to think like Survivor's comment in his last post that this could be a further elaboration on the old scam. You read the work, make a couple of points regarding it and then refer the author to an editorial agency. It does appear suspicious.

Since this is only the second rejection this particular novel has received, I'm thinking that sending to other agents (there are precious few publishers in the UK who will receive submissions direct from the author for children's books, although there are some) will be the best bet and seeing what they say. If I'm getting more 'close' rejections as it were then professional editting is something I might consider.

In the meantime though there is nothing to stop me from working on the bits she has highlighted in her letter and researching a little more. Thanks again.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to post the same thing Eric did, but couldn't remember where I read it.

If it sounds like the agent just wants you to consider revising things and then re-submit, perhaps workshopping some of it with a crit group would be beneficial.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Ah, you didn't say it was a children's book. Or is it more YA? I'm not very familiar with that field.
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
No idea where I read it, but I recall some advice about first sales and agents that said get one after an editor offers to buy the book, but before signing the contract. You have a bonafide saleable product in hand with a contract ready to go over. So, supposedly any agent would jump at a chance at 15% for simply making sure you're only relinquishing the rights the editor requires and not those the agent can later sell for you. Of course, it throws much of the work back on you, but it sounds like it would grease the skids more effectively. I'm not at the point of following said advice, but it makes sense to me.

Has anyone else here seen advice to that effect? Does it seem sound advice to any of you?

Edit: Ah, pooh. I missed the children's market bit, too, so not sure it applies to Gwalchmai's case at all. But I'm still interested in opinions of the advice.

[This message has been edited by Warbric (edited August 31, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
It's good advice - of course it's easy to find an agent if you've already sold the book.

But the difficulty is that most books are sold by agents. A lot of mainstream publishers don't accept unagented materials.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Card, for one, suggests finding an editor to buy the book first. I think a few decades ago this was standard practice. Now, however, many of the top publishers won't look at unsolicited manuscripts. In other words, if you don't have an agent to pitch it for you, you can't even query.

For what it's worth, I've done both simultaneously for my novel...queried agents and publishers. Hopefully, one or the other will bite first.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 747

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, how much does a professional editing service cost?
Posts: 814 | Registered: Nov 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It depends on the manuscript and the service. But it can run about what you'd expect for buying new teeth. Which varies a lot
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that the publisher doesn't accept unsols doesn't stop you querying--the "no unsolicited, unagented MSS" does, tho' .

I have heard the "publisher first, then agent" advice, but I've also heard that if you fail to sell the ms, it becomes doubly hard to find an agent to represent it, because all the bridges have been burnt at the places they would have sent it. Again, not sure how true that is.

I think the truth probably is that there's no one method that works for everyone, but most methods will work for some someones.

[This message has been edited by BuffySquirrel (edited August 31, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

It's probably YA, I suppose, since it is aimed at the younger end of the teenage market.

Having a publisher would certainly make finding an agent easier but, like Christine said, there aren't as many places accepting unsolicited material now as there used to be. It is possible to go it alone however, although I gather it would take quite a bit of work networking and suchlike in order to get around the no unsolicited MS rule. That, unfortunately, requires a bit more time than I have in my life at the moment so being able to leave things to an agent is kind of appealing. Going it alone also requires you to have a pretty good understanding of the market in order to make the best deals possible. There is help available for this, as well as help available regarding contracts and what everything means in them, but again, it requires more time resaerching etc. on your part.

Brinestone, a professional editting service can cost quite a bit apparently, or so my research tells me. However, when you look at what you apparently get with some of them, I suppose it could take a bit of time on the editor's part, so fair enough. Here are a couple of links to give you an idea:

http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/fees.html
www.literaryconsultancy.co.uk/tlc/FeesandSubs/index.html

[This message has been edited by Gwalchmai (edited August 31, 2005).]

Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
You might look up the agent on Preditors and Editors and see if there are any bad reports on that agent.

On a side note, I heard that publishers that claim to not accept unagented manuscripts are for the most part bluffing, trying to cut down on the immense piles of slush that arrive weekly. The worst that could happen if you sent it to one of these is an unopened rejection. Then you'll know for sure which ones are bluffing and which ones aren't.

Shane

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

I didn't really think to check on Preditors and Editors. For some reason I had it in my head that the list was based on just US agencies. The agency I subbed to was their but, like the majority, were neither recommended nor not recommended. They simply had an entry with a dollar sign next to their name and a contact address.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.