Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » By the End of September I will...

Author Topic: By the End of September I will...
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be doing a number of things that I cannot avoid because I'm taking a writing class:

Prepare 20 pages to be read in the workshop.

Read other people's stuff and critique.

Things I choose to do:

Rewrite my beginning so that can be the 20 pages.

Read OSC's "Character and Viewpoint".

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
What I shall attempt to get done:

Finish polishing at least one of my 3 flash fictions, find somewhere to submit it and send it off.

Get a chapter done on one of my two WIP (this will be a repeat until at least one is in finished first draft stage).

Participate in every Flash Challenge this month.

Spend more time working on my writing and get the living room vaccumed.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Have novel and pitch ready for a meeting with an agent at the James River Writer Conference on September 30.

Do the assignments for OSC's class.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Valtam
Member # 2833

- posted      Profile for Valtam   Email Valtam         Edit/Delete Post 
Have my flash fiction polished.

Have another flash fiction written.

Have a short story polished and ready for submission.

Have atleast 2 more chapters written for both of my works in progress.

Critique more stories.

[This message has been edited by Valtam (edited September 01, 2005).]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Write another 3 chapters of my WIP
2. Finish reading 2 more books in the Aubrey/Maturin series
3. Build a series of cutting jigs for my circular saw.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Before the end of the day, I will:

(1) get up from this chair.

(2) watch "I Love Lucy" on TVLand.

(3) rerun the "Laverne & Shirley" tapes I made yesterday.

(4) make sandwiches for tomorrow's lunch-at-work.

(5) cook cubed steaks for today's lunch-at-home.

(6) put clothes in dryer.

As for writing, I've already retyped a page of one story on the computer, and that's about all I can manage right now...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
You do what you can do when you can do it.

By the end of September I will...

-revise another flash story and prepare it for publication
-try to find a horror publication that accepts re-prints and re-sub "Something in the Air"
-Prepare "Gruffs' Bluff" for submission October 1 to cliché market: http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003471.html
-Keep researching markets and re-subbing
-Participate in at least two flash challenges at Liberty Hall (critiquing and/or writing)
-Find a new apartment!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Write at least 30,000 words of my faerie novel.

Tighten up "Howard's Proposal" and send it off.

Add a new beginning to "The Price of a Memory" and get it critiqued. Hopefully get it back out into the submissions round.

Yeah, that's it.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
By the end of September, I will still be passing calculus. I hope.

As for writing: I will have a new name for Eldras, I will know what his relationship to Abigali is and where it's going, and at the very least a rough outline of where his story is going. Which is starting to look like it might not be his story after all, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I will at least try to edit and revise and edit and revise, etc. "Shethdyn" and begin working on a new story, which I am calling "Life is an RPG" for now.

I will also try to continue my work on my second and third novels as well as try to revise everything that I need to in my first novel. I made one small change in it, which, much to my chagrin, means that now I have to read through the entire thing and find every instance where the thing that I have changed is mentioned and then change it.

And that was a confusing sentence.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
(1) revise at least the first six chapters of my WIP
(2) finish and sub at least three short stories, including "Heart's Gift"
(2 bis) find a better title for "Heart's Gift".
(3)sub sub sub stuff so the editors are flooded with my (not-so-abysmal) prose. :-D
(4) attempt to juggle grad school and writing.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
...have visited my 24th country (Spain).

And will have written at least something while I'm there.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elemeno
Member # 2752

- posted      Profile for Elemeno   Email Elemeno         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Get a feel for my college schedule and figure out how much time I'll reasonably be able to spend writing.
2. Actually start writing something instead of just planning it.
3. Presumably I'll also be writing some sort of screenplay, but that's for one of my classes so I don't know how much it counts.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pogozorro
Member # 2805

- posted      Profile for pogozorro   Email pogozorro         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep up on all the Liberty Hall flashes, while simultaneously be progressing on my TriNoMo ordeal at Notebored.

Rewrite at least two older stories and prepare them for submission (at least F&F).

My fingers, they hurt already.

[This message has been edited by pogozorro (edited September 06, 2005).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's the halfway point. How is everyone doing?

So far all I've done is research markets. No revising or submitting. I may have found an apartment, but no guarentees yet. Haven't done any flash challenges, but I have three fridays left, so I might get that done...

Silver3
Member # 2174

I am now the proud owner of one revised chapter of my novel. I still have a couple more weeks to do the other five...

I did finish "Heart's Gift", and I even found a better title for it. I did not send it out yet because of printer problems, and I missed on my market research because of the lack of internet access at home.

So far, the juggling between grad school and writing seems to be in favour of the grad school, but I'm confident I'll ease into some sort of schedule (with as few courses as possible, grin).

I finished two stories, "Heart's Gift", and "Citadel of Cobras", and am at work on two more.

I also did something not on the list, which was start researching into history for story ideas and background.

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
- Buy a frickin' ink cartridge for my printer so I can send off a couple more shorts.
- Print out said shorts and send them off: one to Writers of the Future and one to Challenging Destiny.
- Complete the first 1/4 of my current WIP
- Finish the half-baked rewrite of the very first novel I've ever written and move it to a better site (probably Wyvern's Library at Elfwood).

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment! I have an apartment!
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Yipee!!!!!
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
By the end of September I will:

Hopefully finish the rough draft of "Call of Faya" and have it ready to edit/polish.

I have already begun research on an Oriental/Samauri idea that I got the other night. So that's one thing I can write off the ole list.

Try to work on more of "Monolith's Arrival" and/or rewrite the whole freaking thing.

Also revisit "Olympus Uprising" to see where it is, and to write more on it, maybe two to three chapters.

So here's to all of you that have done what you were going to.

An update on "Faya": It has 17k words and I have handwritten a page and a half at Vo-Tech during lunch. It's going in a totally different way than I had anticipated.

Keep on going guys.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
thexmedic
Member # 2844

- posted      Profile for thexmedic   Email thexmedic         Edit/Delete Post 
Figure out how to negotiate spending time with my wife, spending time writing, and spending time on my Playstation (oh it is a sweet, sweet evil).

Posts: 205 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

All right, it's true confessions time. How did everybody do this month?

Most of my stuff fell through.

By the end of September I will...

quote:
-revise another flash story and prepare it for publication

Well almost. "Switch!" is into the final stage and should be off to Apex next week.
quote:
-try to find a horror publication that accepts re-prints and re-sub "Something in the Air"

Didn't get anywhere on this. I may not pursue it, but it would be nice to try one or two more markets.
quote:
-Prepare "Gruffs' Bluff" for submission October 1 to cliché market: http://www.scalzi.com/whatever/003471.html

This is pretty well ready to go. I just have to do up a cover letter e-mail, attach and press send (on Tuesday; see below!)
quote:
-Keep researching markets and re-subbing

Done and done. I have three stories out right now with a fourth and fifth to send next week.
quote:
-Participate in at least two flash challenges at Liberty Hall (critiquing and/or writing)

Here I failed miserably! Not one. Not a single one. No flashing, no critiquing, not even a Dairy Queen!
quote:
-Find a new apartment!

YEP!!!!!!!! Got a new apartment and move in on Sunday! So now I'll be able to resume submitting to print publications. I'm also taking Monday off from work so I can go to IKEA and shop, shop, shop!

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I met my day's goals, but writing for the month pretty much shut down. Lotsa reasons. Illness mine, relatively mild but draining. Work, always tiring and draining. Illness, a relative, extremely serious, eliminated the last two weeks almost completely. Impending vacation stress---preparing for a vacation always takes my time.

I've hopes for the beginning of October, though. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I'll be away for only about half of the two-and-a-half weeks I'm off from work (if even that), and I'm sure I can squeeze some writing somewhere into it.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Write at least 30,000 words of my faerie novel.

*laughs hysterically*

Um, right. I don't think I'll post how many words I actually wrote.

quote:
Tighten up "Howard's Proposal" and send it off.

It's been tightened and is now being critiqued. I should be able to get it out soon.

quote:
Add a new beginning to "The Price of a Memory" and get it critiqued. Hopefully get it back out into the submissions round.

Well, I thought about what the new beginning should be...

Next month should be better. I hope it isn't worse.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I just got my "By the End of August, I will..." goals done. That's something.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Hey, every little bit helps. Sometimes it is easier to set lots of goals, then if you meet even just a fraction of them, at least you accomplished something.
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Finish polishing at least one of my 3 flash fictions, find somewhere to submit it and send it off. - done!

Get a chapter done on one of my two WIP (this will be a repeat until at least one is in finished first draft stage). - um... er... not done

Participate in every Flash Challenge this month. - Done!

Spend more time working on my writing and get the living room vaccumed. - kinda done? except the vaccuming part...

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Aha. Just realized September was over. Didn't do much that I wasn't forced to this month.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.