Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Too Real?

Author Topic: Too Real?
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my recect flash submissions was just rejected with the following comment from one of the editors:
quote:
Fiction? Strikes me more as nonfiction. Doesn't work as a story, the ending is known close to the beginning, and the factual presentation of the death strengthens that feeling.

As a writer, I feel it is important to try and capture a sense of reallity even in my fiction -- it adds believability. In literary fiction especially, events should feel real. Shouldn't they?

If fiction sounds like it actually happened, shouldn't that be a good thing?

Also, the story isn't supposed to have a surprise ending , but that's another rant .

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Rant away!

Brush it off. I almost never get useful advice from magazine editors when they take the time to send comments. They typically are trying to sum up their feelings too concisely and they also seem to have these weird biases that come through in their advice.

I've got a short story that I have now sent to a dozen markets. (I'm going to try one more...lucky 13....before retiring it.) I've received personal respones on the story from most of those editors, and each one said something different, in some cases wildly different. Some made little sense and made me wonder if they read the story.

On another story, I received the comment that it wasn't speculative in nature...which made me wonder when clairvoyance became fact rather than fancy.

Brush it off, I say again. Send it somewhere else. No, a story can't be too real. Won't say that there's not something else wrong with the story, maybe even something the editor was trying and failing to convey, but his (her?) comment comes across as a bit silly.

As to the surprise ending...I could soooo join you in that arnat. Since when did every single story have to have a surprise twist ending? Sure, I enjoy those too, but I also enjoy fulfilling stories that make me enjoy the ride even if I know the ending. I'm sick of stories I can't read twice because the whole point was ending shock value!

P.S. I'd be willing to scan through the story if you want.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited September 08, 2005).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Christine. I have sent this out to another market, but perhaps some help interpretting that feedback would be helpful.

I've been trying to ignore the comment for about a week now, but it still irks me.

I wonder if he/she (not sure which, the comments were annonymous), meant that the story had too much summary, but I just don't know.

I'll send it over.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
All the editor is really saying is that your story wasn't what his magazine were looking for. Different mags like different types of stories. I'm sure you'll find the right one for the story you have. Wait for that second reply before changing anything. You could ruin a good story by trying to make it into something it's not.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The part that seems like both clear and valid criticism is "the ending is known close to the beginning." I think he's saying it's predictable. Of course, I don't know if he's right or not.

Everybody else I've ever heard of wants fiction to feel realistic!

--

One of the oddest reactions I got was when I sent something to a themed magazine, saying, "Please consider this story for the 'War' issue," or whatever the theme was, and it was about the theme, and the rejection had this personal note: "Did you realize we are a themed magazine?"

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to read between the lines of rejections, or rejectomancy, is a losing battle. If nothing the editor had to say resonated with you as a means to improve the story, then I would suggest the best thing to do is to set their comments aside and move on.

My guess however would be that wbriggs is right, and the editor didn't so much want a twist or surprise ending, as one that they found less predictable. The more stories you read, the easier it becomes to figure out from their beginnings what their endings will be. That makes it more important that the journey to the ending be as interesting as possible, but evidently this editor didn't find it so. That, as they say, is life.

Good luck with placing it elsewhere .

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what's been said so far. It sounds like your story didn't resonate with the editor, that's all.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.