Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Bootcamps?

Author Topic: Bootcamps?
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the Hatrack Bootcamps? I'm fairly new here, just kind of trying to find my way around. Sort of like when I was in 7th grade and asked some 9th grader where my class was.
The 9th grader promptly pointed me in the opposite direction. You wouldn't do that, would you?

Shane

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC teaches a class each summer for aspiring writers. Out of a hundred plus applicants he whittles the list down to only 15 students, whom he chooses by reading their writing samples. Those lucky few spend an intense week writing and getting critiques on their work.

From what I understand it is an awesome and valuable process.

Unfortunately I will never get to experience it, which is a major bummer. I applied this year and OSC turned me down because he didn't think he could teach me anything. I disagreed. And from what I hear from other students, I missed out on a lot.

It's definitely something to save up for, and costs in the neighborhood of $750 for the week.

If you can't go to the full week, he also offers a two-day workshop at the beginning open to anyone, which is also supposed to be pretty good.

This year it was held in Utah, next year it will be held at Southern Virginia University (at least from what I understood).

Hope that answers your questions. For more specific information, anyone here who was fortunate enough to be accepted to the class can tell you more.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you'll need an elevator pass to get there. Didn't they issue one when you registered for the forum?

Seriously though, autumnmuse hit the bases. There are several threads on what BootCamp is like. Just search for Boot Camp and enjoy the reading.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Well, you'll need an elevator pass to get there. Didn't they issue one when you registered for the forum?

I tried cracking the code, peering around the corner, breaking in through any means possible-well, I haven't enlisted any hackers yet. Just kidding everyone--I'm not that bad of a kid. (wanna bet?)

Thanks, both of you for the information.

Shane

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited September 10, 2005).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the topics on OSC's Literary Boot Camps (that aren't in the Private area):

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000194.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000282.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000375.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000504.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000609.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000882.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/000946.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/001820.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002167.html

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum1/HTML/002215.html

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a lot of fun. Hope they're still doing this in, say, a couple of years.

(Varishta starts saving pennies and honing her writing skills.....)

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, but living in Japan pretty much means "No boot camp for you!" (I mean me)

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ronnie, I completely understand.

I'm in Sri Lanka.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to know that somebody else will be reading my posts as I post them, opposed to 12 hours later.

How's life in Sri Lanka?

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand as well; I'm in France, which is less far than Sri Lanka, but travel to the US is unlikely for me now.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
So what you do is persuade Mr. Card to schedule a boot camp in the Orient or in Europe the next time he is there promoting a book. (I have no idea when that would be, but it's an idea, right?)

[This message has been edited by Corky (edited September 20, 2005).]

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

- posted      Profile for Swimming Bird           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't OSC rich enough to not have to charge close to a thousand dollars a week?
Posts: 151 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 

Are you serious?

Do you believe people should be paid based on how much money they need, rather than on the value of what they're offering?

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

It's the consumers job to determine if that value is worth a thousand dollars.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. But how does Card's net worth affect your perception of the value of his offering?
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

It puts me off. I see it as being in bad taste.

Like Bill Gates charging a thousand bucks a week on private computer lessons.

Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Chances are, a thousand dollar/week computer class with Bill Gates would get you a lot further than a sixy dollar course at a tech college.

I'm hoping to have enough left over from tax returns that I may be able to apply next year. It would completely be worth it. I heard him speak once for free, and it helped me immensely. I can only imagine what a week-long intensive could do for me.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who has attended bootcamp, let me tell you that Card not only gives up a full week of working on his own stuff, he also puts in almost as many hours as the students. I could tell he was exhausted at the end. Then he took off to catch a plane.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
$1000 is a miniscule amount when you look at the amount of time and financial cost to put on such a workshop. Plus, you should do some price shopping... week long workshops can easily go for $3000 to $10,000 (no kidding!) I used to work for a place that hosted retreats all the time.

Take a look at this issue another way. If, by investing $1000, you honed your writing skills well enough to sell your favorite manuscript, would the cost be worth it to you? Particularly if you picked up skills in that workshop you would have gotten in no other way? If this level of teaching on the craft of writing was easy to provide, it would be available in every community college across the country. But getting a successful, published author to give you this much personal attention to teach you the craft is well worth $1000 bucks in my opinion.

Now, all I have to do is come up with the money!!!

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, let's have a bakesale! LOL It'd be nice to see you there.

Actually, I'm more concerned that I wouldn't get accepted as opposed to how much it would cost.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I figure by the time I can actually afford it, I'll be so danged good due to the critiques from my Hatrack buddies, that OSC won't have any choice but to let me in! Of course, we could all have the problems of autumnmuse, who was too GOOD to get in! Lucky girl.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Should the world's best brain surgeon charge less because he's rich enough already? Okay, maybe so if a real needy person needs it. Bad example LOL!!
I think you let the market decide on the value of any given commodity. If it's worth it to you, you'll pay it--if it's not worth it to you then you might find some other way that's cheaper to learn the same skills. And you might not.
I look at it this way, as a guitarist, if I had to pay nearly a grand for a week with Eric Clapton showing me the ropes---I'd seriously consider it.
If it was Jim Monson, my next door neighbor--I wouldn't.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sort of hoping he would hold it in Greensboro next year. That way I could combine it with a trip to see my sister and her husband.

As for the cost...I think there is a bit of a psychological factor in there. If you get something for nothing, you are more likely to put less of a value on it. It also probably helps to weed out the people are only marginally interested or committed.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited September 21, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

You're better off having it away from Greensboro. You wouldn't have time to visit. None. I'm serious.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You could save a two way ticket for your completely seperate trip to see your sister, though
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Robyn_Hood hit the nail on the head.

In addition a) He's not rich.
b) It costs him money to have a workshop. (Plane tickets to Utah. Rental of facility. He's not writing.)
c) OSC charges $750 for the workshop. He said in class that he used to give them away because he couldn't imagine anyone wanting to pay money to hear him talk, but he wound up with autograph seekers who were there for the glory not to work on their writing. So now he charges and he gets students who want to learn.

It was money well-spent, in my opinion.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Swimming Bird
Member # 2760

So I doubt he offers some kind of a "scholarship" program?
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Facility rentals at universities often include an hourly rate for the space, surcharges for weekend days, set up and tear down fees, custodial fees, equipment fees, deposits, application fees, insurance fees... There are many workshops available in the world of writing - ever looked up the fees for Clarion (for 2005 - $1500 for 6 weeks - I don't have 6 weeks!, plus $100 application fee, plus $1000 for mandatory housing, plus submission of two short stories, 10-25 pages each - course you do get 4 MSU credits - not hosted by just one guy - limited financial aid and scholarships are available)? If OSC's bootcamp is too expensive, there maybe something else out there for you!

There is nothing wrong with asking if financial aid is available. But there is nothing wrong with the host of a workshop not providing financial aid either. And this is part of OSC's "job" as it were. Would you offer to work for your employer for a week for free?

If I ever wanted to attend, and was accepted, I think I'd need to ask for daycare *insert my husband's voice here saying, "Don't leave me with the kids!"* LOL! (big joke, kidding, really!)

[This message has been edited by punahougirl84 (edited September 23, 2005).]

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
A college semester is generally about 13 weeks, with 3 one-hour classes per week. That's thirty-nine hours of teacher contact time (considering a lecture as contact). You get more than that in Boot Camp, and lots of it is real contact time. How many college courses can you take for a paltry $750 taught by one of the pre-eminent people in the field?
You can count the number on the fingers of one foot.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

quote:
In addition a) He's not rich.

That's something to keep in perspective if you're expecting the big time after getting published. OSC has a full shelf at Borders as one of the more popular writers in speculative fiction.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.