Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Rose By Any Other Name

Author Topic: A Rose By Any Other Name
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

Once again, a world-building question.

For those of you who have or are creating a fantasy landscape that is mostly earth-like, do you only use familiar trees and plants, or make some up as you go along?

I'm a wildflower/garden/houseplant aficiando, and so there's nothing that drives me crazier than when a story A) puts flora in the wrong climate-zone or season, or B) makes up a name for something that isn't unusual enough to warrant a new name i.e, Robert Jordan's "leatherleaf" trees.

Since this is my first fantasy foray, I worry that readers might expect a few differences from the flora/fauna they're familiar with. This is a different world, after all, right?

To compound my things, my main character's life revolves around horticulture and so plants are more prominent than in some stories.

So -- do I just keep with the flora I know and love, or do I "pepper" it with plants that are exotic?

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in a horticultural profession and use the Latin names of plants daily, so when I read fantasy I like to see Latin (or some made-up scientific sounding language). I also think using some common plants, uncommon plants and created plants works well, this gives readers who are not familar with plants something basic to relate to, gives your wise readers something extra to enjoy and provides the feel of fantasy.
Do you intend the plants to be windowdressing or are they part of your plot?
Leatherleaf trees? To me that is lazy detailing and it would have spoiled the story for me.

[This message has been edited by Kickle (edited September 10, 2005).]

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
You might also touch base with Hoptoad. I think he has some useful stuff to share.

I'll be glad to help with the worldbuilding when you get to dealing with rocks and stuff like that.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Regardless of whether the actual plants are different in your fantasy world, the culture that named them will not be the same culture that gave them their common names that readers will know. For that reason, I have no problem with "leatherleaf trees." That sounds like a plausible common name that could be given to them.

What really bothers me is when fantasy (or science fiction) authors transplant Earth species to a different world, without taking into account the differences. For example, George R. R. Martin has the seasons of his fantasy world lasting years at a time. Yet he has such things as apple trees, which in the real world require x number of frost hours each winter, but in his world they produce fruit with no problems. None of his plants or animals seem particularly adapted to living through years of summer followed by years of winter.

I think that those sorts of problems are more critical than deciding what to call the plants/animals. However, naming conventions can do a lot to establish the culture of the people who did the naming.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I would use North American, European, or whatever, ecosystems. I'm no purist and no expert, but seeing maple or birch in a coolish area, or pine and mangrove in subtropical, woudln't startle me. Dog fennel (a Southern weed) would kick me out, because it seems a uniquely Southern curse. Kudzu, ditto.

After all, you probably moved humanity to your fantasy world without renaming the uvula or the iris!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

Kickle -- Ooo, I would love to get your professional thoughts on some things if this ever gets finished. Plants will be used a lot by the main character; in fact, it's his botanical knowledge that initially sets him apart.

Mike -- Thanks so much! I just might take you up on that.

MCameron -- Yeah, that bothered me about Martin's stories, as well. As to naming: I think I'm going the Tolkien route of naming unknown species in the local language, but translating them into English, as well. (like athelas and "kingsfoil") I'll try to keep this to a minimum, though.

wbriggs -- I just came from a weekend in Georgia, so I know what you mean about kudzu!
(Even though it's a recent Japanese transplant -- heh)

[This message has been edited by Varishta (edited September 10, 2005).]

Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
After what happened with the south, I hope no one would be stupid enough to take kudzu to a whole different planet. Unless that's how they wanted to kill the natural plantlife and take over the world....
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
If I can I'd be happy to answer any questions, and I'll tell you if its out of my league.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Guy Koehler
Member # 2758

- posted      Profile for Guy Koehler   Email Guy Koehler         Edit/Delete Post 
MCameron writes, "apple trees, which in the real world require x number of frost hours each winter..."

This is not necessarily the entire story. The Botany of Desire, by Michael Pollan [ISBN 0-375-76039-3] details how the apple does not breed true. If you clone an apple tree variety requiring x number of frost hours each winter, then all clones will require the same conditions and fruit identically. Interestingly, each apple seed is uniquely aberrant, resulting in a quickly varied genetic drift. In effect, one tree's fruit results in thousands of seeds, each genetically unique and wildly divergent. Given a couple of generations, at least one of those seeds will thrive under new and widely variant conditions.

Makes one wonder what would happen if several million apple seeds were planted in low-G conditions with minimal oxygen and an entirely different mineral mix. What vain rulers might find a use for such a fruit?

[edited to correct a missing 't']

[This message has been edited by Guy Koehler (edited September 10, 2005).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as naming new plants go, as a reader, I'd be annoyed if there were a bunch of new plant-names thrown in for no good reason. If they're relevant to the plot, I'd be more patient. The athelas you mentioned, for example, is used more than once in the book and fulfills old prophecy with "the hands of a king are the hands of a healer."

Patricia C. Wrede has a very good series called The Enchanted Forest Chronicles where there is a witch who keeps an extensive garden. In particular, the third book, Calling on Dragons deals with this. I thought she did a wonderful job of having lots of different, fictional plants while still keeping it fun and not-overwhealming for the reader. It's a short book, and worth the time if you want to see how someone else has handled this.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say I work out any of the biology or physics of it, but I try to make some mention of things. I think my most successful effort along those lines broke down into a couple of sentences: "Fall was turning into winter. The leaves on the Terran trees turned different colors, while the native growth rolled into balls."
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

A rose by any other name
Would get the blame
For being what it is:
The shadow of a kiss
The color of a flame.

from The Silver Metal Lover, Tanith Lee

JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Kudzu has/is very much infecting San Diego, thru LA and all the way up to the Valley.
I also saw it on the road from Atlanta, Georgia to Norfolk, VA. There may have even some in Arkansas.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a common English word that applies, you don't need to introduce the "fantastic" term.

Now, deciding whether a term applies or not can be tricky. I don't know about "leatherleaf" trees, but Jordan also decided to call whisky "oosqui" or whatever and cotton "algode". The reason he did this is obvious, to paint them as being exotic relative to the already introduced milieu. The reason he choose a mangled but phonetic spelling for one and a Spanish word for the other eludes me, probably he decided that the mangled phonetic spelling would seem silly and he didn't want to portray the culture that used these "exotic" items as being Hispanic.

That he used the terms he did rather than coming up with entirely novel terms (in his invented language) is a reflection of a minor bit of laziness. He wanted us all to know that the items being described were cotton and whisky, but he didn't want to describe them precisely enough for us to figure that out on our own.

The point is that using the words "cotton" and "whisky" would have destroyed the sense that these things were exotic to the initial milieu and characters.

Of course, I think that his milieu building was full of plausibility holes. You only need to look at the map tucked in the beginning of each book to realize that. How much attention you want to pay to the plausibility of your invented world is up to you. I recommend that you get to the point where you're fairly confident that it holds together. If you're making a big deal out of the botany of your milieu, then probably you should make a solid effort there, because the kind of person that likes that sort of thing is more likely to spot errors.

As for the kudzu, the question isn't whether anyone's dumb enough to spread the stuff, it's whether anyone's smart enough to stop it

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind throwing in the occasional invented botanical name in my story. I don't dwell on it, unless it factors into the story. As long as the situation makes it clear WHAT it is (a plant, not an animal) then I think the occasional exotic name helps build a feeling of other-worldliness.

Some things I want to convey a feeling, and I have tried to do it in a more subtle "sounds like" sense. The name is slightly different, hopefully enough different to keep up the appearances of an alternate world, but I'm hoping the echo of the original will come through. For instance, my milieau takes place in part, in a remote temple high in the snow-covered mountains, similiar to Tibet. My monks wear long woolen robes, and their leader is the Yama Do'chan. The similarity to the term "Dali Lama" was intentional, specifically because I was trying to make a very loose tie with a culture the reader might understand. I'm hoping it's still subtle enough that the connection will mostly be subconscious. No one has yet complained about this particular name. In some cases, with other names, I've not been as successful, and the critiques I've gotten have reflected that fact. Those are the ones I have to work on.

I guess, as with any other thing you write, the question to ask yourself is: is this relevant? If it's relevant to the plot and milieu to give it a "new" name, then go ahead. If it's done merely for effect, then you should probably drop it.

One of the things I remember as a complaint on a publisher's website is people who call a horse anything but. A horse is a horse, and don't make up a fantasy name for it unless it has unique characteristics that are relevant to the plot. Knowing that fact has helped me decide to keep my fantasy names for common plants and animals to a minimum.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It drove me crazy when I realized that the "runnerbeasts" in Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels were supposed to be horses. Why in the world would the people in the stories replace a perfectly good one-syllable word with such a klunky three-syllable word? And why hadn't it evolved into something easier to say, like "runbies"?

I submit that the answer is that Anne McCaffrey was trying to make her world sound exotic without really thinking things through. Irritated me to pieces.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Fruguy
Member # 1537

- posted      Profile for Fruguy           Edit/Delete Post 
Familiarity with objects changes from one place to another. take the american and english names for some things. lift and elevator, boot and trunk, fish and chips are chicken and french fries(i think). anyways, things also tend to change from generation to generation. that takes precendent in Anne McCaffrey's pern novels.

if you take the section of her novels where they discover the artificially intelligent computer that their ancestors brought with them, it had to take a few minutes to learn their language. even though the harpers tried to keep the language pure over the centuries, it eventually changed to meet their needs. so, despite their best efforts, every generation of people added something that changed the language.

names for stuff on different planets may also need to take the same steps. what might be called one thing on earth might not be suitable for the apparent equal on another planet. therefore, something new has to be devised to cover the required points of its nature. in the book Dragonsdawn, the settlers are afraid of what they are going to drink when they run out of their coffee supplies because the coffee plants don't survive on pern. somebody happens to take a chance and brew a drink from a native plant that tastes somewhat like coffee. so, when their descendants get up in the morning and drink klah, we think of it as coffee.

one more thing. when writing one book, it might be plausible to make mention of something that is comparable to what you have made up. i.e. horse = runnerbeast. but, if you are doing series work, it probably won't require an explanation since the reader will eventually relate what they are reading to stuff in their everday life.

[This message has been edited by Fruguy (edited September 11, 2005).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Fish and chips is fish and french fries, not chicken and french fries.

I appreciate your comments, Fruguy, but they don't justify calling a horse a runnerbeast. When I first read about them, I had thought that runnerbeasts were something else entirely, and was willing to go along with that name for them--whatever kind of animal they were supposed to be that the characters were using instead of horses. It only became irritating to me when I found out that they were actually horses, and there was no reason given for the name change.

That's like calling a rabbit by another name so that it sounds exotic. When it's a rabbit, call it a rabbit. When it's a horse, call it a horse.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

Can't remember the editor, but there's one that refers to "call a rabbit a 'smeerp'" stories.
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Bova?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

Well, the runnerbeasts weren't actually true horses. From The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern:

quote:
Horses were improved somewhat by genetic tinkering. A number of genotypes coexisted and interbred for sixteen hundreds years, until the plague. During the plague, all of the remaining true horses died out, leaving only the "runnerbeasts."

OK, so it sounds like a justification after the fact for the stupid name. I can see the geneticists insisting that the modified horses not be called horses, but it is still a pretty thin reason.

--Mel

Survivor
Member # 213

Yeah, geneticists are always insisting on names like "runnerbeast" for their creations

By the way, I thought "klah" was supposed to be some kind of soup with minced veggies and meat.

Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a tool I use extensively. Field Guides. Absolutely great for adding detail. I have one for trees, one for birds, one for reptiles and amphibians. They give Latin names, native areas/climates, physical descriptions. And they're just fun to read when you want to broaden your Biological knowledge.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it was James Blish who came up with the "call a rabbit a smeerp" situation, but my reference books aren't handy at the moment. (I think my copies of "The Issue at Hand" and "More Issues at Hand" are still at my parent's house.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

quote:
Yeah, geneticists are always insisting on names like "runnerbeast" for their creations

Well, mccaffreyan geneticists at any rate...

Fruguy
Member # 1537

- posted      Profile for Fruguy           Edit/Delete Post 
ok, so the fish and chips thing wasn't the best example.

anyways, i think naming of the creatures in a story all depends on the environment in which they exist. exotic or not, animals will all most likely use the same type of food chain we have in evidence here on earth.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Varishta
I've been away.

The flora of fantasy stories has always required a generous sprinkling of handwavium pellets. You often get plants indigenous to different continents written into the same scenes. Avoid knotting yourself up by trying to turn a fantasy world into a sci-fi one.

One of the mitigating things about fantasy is the idea that if the reader were somehow magically transported to your created realm and saw trees that looked like willows, even if they knew they were on another world, what would they call it other than a willow? Same with a beast that reminded them of a horse or a pig or a goat. They might call them a marsh-goat, or a rock-pig or an Evergreen Sea Willow but they would use familiar worlds.

Similarly the Papua Niu Gini pidjin english word for elephant is 'bloody-big-pig'.

In my work I am amazed by how confused and confusing common names can be. I find it amusing when in a story someone says, 'Go get some Black-eyed Susan for this potion,' and everyone knows what they mean.

The differences are especially noticeable if you move from one climatic zone to another. What YOU thought was a Silver Daisy is called a Horseman's Curse around here.

If your person is a dyed-in-the-wool naturalist they will probably struggle with it too and will probably try to 'classify' what they are looking at. How they do that will depend on how they understand the natural world AND what they consider remarkable.

Think about the changing methods of classification used by botanists and naturalists through the ages as their understanding of the natural world changed. From Theophrastus to Dioscorides to Ibn al Batar and other mediaeval Islamic scientists all the way through to Fuchs the main reason they wanted to classify plants was more to do with pharamacological interests or agricultural imperatives than purely scientific curiosity.

Some were more rigorous than others, some were empiricle in their approach and others relied on secondhand information (Pliny the Elder thought swifts hibernated under water during winter and, thanks to reliable reports, that there were dogheaded tribes in Africa that communicated by yapping.)

Later you get people like Molina, (a jesuit who advanced an early form of evolutionary theory) Plumier and Linnaeus and Darwin who start thinking 'this is a subject that is valuable in and of itself for the glory of God and/or the advancement of human knowledge.

We all see evidence in the natural world that supports our particular view of it. Not only that, but the way your character understands the natural world will be reflected in the way the categorise plants. Today we would think it ridiculous to even consider the potential magical properties of plants. But your character may believe that if a daisy can produce a certain magical effect and a pinecone produces the same effect they clearly belong in the same category.

So if we read in your story that 'Thunor sat on the riverbank and chewed Painstop Bark until his headache went.' Some of us might think, 'Oh okay, Painstop is a magic plant.' Some would think 'Oh okay, I wonder if Painstop is the local common name for Willow.' another may say 'Oh okay, Painstop must contain the chemical salicin.'

I would only worry about renaming something if it performed a specific function that at some point helps the story by being useful or if it gives us a cultural insight and is so different in appearance and function that there is no analogous plant on earth.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 12, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

That helped a lot, Hoptoad!

Your thoughts really reaffirmed how I want to approach this.

Thanks,

Varishta

maria102182
Member # 2829

- posted      Profile for maria102182   Email maria102182         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a story where I wanted a grass that could yeald a fiber that was easily worked and remained supple for years. I called it Linen grass. I don't know if there is such a plant and I don't really care. Your readers probably won't eaither, as long as you don't drop it on them all at once. Introduce slowly and keep it reasonable, and you'll be okay.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

quote:
Pliny the Elder thought...that there were dogheaded tribes in Africa that communicated by yapping.

The reports were reliable, that's a reasonable description of a troop of baboons.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.