Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I'm stuck

Author Topic: I'm stuck
scm288
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Is it often that new writers find that nothing works for them, that nothing they write is satisfactory, and that their inner editor has gone on a deleting spree?

Is it usual for a new writer, who is usually good at writing in general, becomes pathetic when it comes to writing fiction?

How long does it usually take for a new writer to get better at writing fiction? I've been writing on and off for a year now, and nothing works! This is worse than writer's block; this feels more like writer's drowning-in-wet-cement. Is this common, or is fiction writing just not for me?

| Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
how many words do you think you've written in the last year and a half? how many stories?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine if you got specific, we might find fixes. Why don't you post something you wrote, and ask for feedback?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm drowning in wet cement, too. But I'm pretty confident that it will pass, because I've worked through this before. You will, too; you just don't know it yet.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 2240

- posted      Profile for quidscribis           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that it takes 5 novels, or according to others, somewhere between 500,000 to 1,000,000 words before you really know how to write a novel. Everything you do before then is training, and most of it will be crap.

I say this not to discourage you, but rather to give you hope. Most writers go through the exact same thing as you.I'm starting my fourth novel, and it still feels like crap. A much better grade of crap, to be sure, but crap nonetheless. I'm stuck, it's not coming out, and I'm frustrated.

But. It gets better.

I've also been told that we should free ourselves to write the absolute worst stuff you can possibly imagine - get it out of your system. Play with how horrid your writing can be. Have fun with it. And then see where it goes from here.

In all, if what you're doing isn't working, try something else.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you can start some research and outlining for National Novel Writing Month, which is November. You aren't allowed to actually start writing until November 1. So take an enforced vacation until then. That reminds me, there was a thread about the publication process in the Chick Lit forum I want to save.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

You know, I think I'm in once of those moods right now.

I deleted several pages in a fit because nothing was working, and almost did it again while re-writing them this evening.

Just thought I'd let you know you're not alone in the frustration department.

Hang in there,

Varishta

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Making the transition from non-fiction to fiction is not easy. They require a host of different skills, but if you know how to write, the hard part is done. Now you ust have to learn about story construction.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry. The human body is less dense than cement so you can float. Don't try to stand up. Just lie down and make swimming motions or roll to the edge and crawl out.

After thirty years and about 250,000 words I'm glad to see I'm halfway there! What I've seen is that if you have a good archive system you can always go back and rewrite the crap to make it better. Cold crap is easier to work with than warm crap, as it is more like proofing somebody else's work. Too soon and there seems to be more difficulty in seeing the mistakes.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
1 year??? Stick around for another ten and then start complaining. Or you could join the drowning in cement club with some of the rest of us. I wonder if it's more frustrating to have something that doesn't work at all or to have something that nearly works but you don't know how to fix it.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Like most people said, just keep plugging away. If you are really horrible, the only way to go is up!

I don't know if this will help, but here is an anecdote. I play hockey. A lot. I love hockey. I play keeper. I have been playing for as long as I can remember. When I was 13 or 14 (10 years ago) I noticed my skills reached a plateau. I kept playing, but I didn't notice any improvements in my skills. But I kept at it.

One day, I noticed that new things were sinking into place. I was still getting better, but slower. I had to look harder to see the same improvements.

Things always get better, sometimes it is just hard to see them.

Don't give up!

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Slim Jenkins
Member # 2877

- posted      Profile for Slim Jenkins           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the 'cement' club too, so I sympathise.

God knows how many words I've written over the years but I take some small consolation from the fact that most of what I write now looks like an improvement on what I was producing ten years ago.

I've read all the advice on this matter and it helps, briefly, but ultimately a writer has to fight his/her own fight and hope to see some light, eventually.

It's more psychological than actual fact, of course. Those of us who criticise ourselves so harshly have a warped perspective. If you're brave enough to reveal your work and it gains some positive responses that can be very helpful. If it doesn't, you're doomed!(only joking)

One final thing, I certainly don't believe in this notion of X amount of words being the number you need to write before somehow 'making it'. If what you're trying to achieve is worth anything that 'journey' will last as long as you do.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.