Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » So, what should we rebuild?

Author Topic: So, what should we rebuild?
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This may or may not be a good topic. I laughed at the joke that involved New Orleans being infested with zombies after the flood, so I can't be the one to judge.

I read an interesting guest article over on Ornery, On Whether to Abandon New Orleans . Now for my part, I'm all for giving all the individuals that suffered from the flood a reasonable amount of assistance and letting them spend it how they may. If they want to stick in and rebuild in the same place, then that's no skin off my nose.

But the author of the essay offered a very interesting argument. I didn't find it persuasive, for reasons I'll explain, but here is the core in case you don't want to read the whole thing (which is mostly a depressing litany about just what a horrible place New Orleans was before all the zombies...er, the flood).

quote:
You've needed us when escape from your mundane world was the only thing that would keep you sane and healthy. When you needed to be transported to some otherworldly place where time is slow, meals are savored, music is breath, is life. We have been your spiritual succor for so long, longer than most of the country has existed.

Without us, there is no America. The Mississippi river made this country great, opened up access to vast stretches of the interior, allowed America to grow, and to prosper. We are the Mississippi. Everything that enters the river from abroad, or leaves it for the international waters beyond, passes through our port, or the ports of our sister communities downriver. Our music, jazz and blues, is the very cornerstone of all that is original in American music. Our cuisine has fed your presidents, your senators, your captains of industry. We are the salt that has given this country flavor. We are the mistress that America cannot admit out loud that it loves.

You need us. To be America, the real America, you need us. To have the culture that you have, we have to have been there from the start.

Okay, I can't judge this argument. To me, it seems that this is the very reason that most of us would have prayed for a flood to destroy the city in the first place. I can't even see how this quality of New Orleans could be retained if the city were put under federal control and rebuilt at enormous expense (I envision something like what the IRS did to Krustyburger, trying). But, on the theory that there are some people that really want that kind of place and believe that rebuilding could produce it, would it strike you as a compelling argument?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I would only rebuild those areas at an elevation greater than the average water level of the adjacent lake.

The argument does not persuade me. Life is change. This is just one more change.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the first paragraph simply has no basis in reality. If New Orleans is the spiritual center of our nation then Las Vegas must be our conscience.

quote:
Everything that enters the river from abroad, or leaves it for the international waters beyond, passes through our port, or the ports of our sister communities downriver.

This is a compelling reason to rebuild the port facilities. But I don't think New Orleans has aa better claim to being the real America than any other city.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find it to be a compelling argument. It is a beautiful, poetic, and emotional plea from someone who obviously loves a city. There are many cities in the United States, many places to love. There are many cultural centers. Many places for great food and music. Many people do go to New Orleans as tourists, but I daresay that very few people outside the city have quite the connection to it that this author does. Personally, I've got bad memories associated with the place from the one time I was there. I won't go into it because they're not relevant, but suffice to say that if New Orleans fell off the map I wouldn't go looking for it.

You want a compelling argument to rebuild? Then tell me how you're going to pay me back for this rebuilding. Because make no mistake, the taxpayers of this nation are going to pay for this. Rich insurance companies certainly wouldn't want to dole out what they promised to, not when they gambled and lost. It's frankly dishonorable, if that means anything anymore. (Insurance companies make me mad, but that is a topic for another time and place.)

So tell me how New Orleans is going to be so profitable that over the next ten, twenty, even thirty years the residents and businesses there are going to be able to repay the country for rebuilding the city. Tell me how you're going to make levies and other protections strong enough to save a city below sea level from being destroyed again.

<shrugs> Anyway, maybe you can come up with something else to compel me, but this isn't it.

It does, however, demonstrate how someone who loves his/her city might react to its destruction and plea for its survival. From the point of view of a study in characterization and beauty, it does its job quite well.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...interesting topic.

Here's my two cents:

First of all, understand that New Orleans was a cultural center and that many people love it and call it home. I too would be devastated were my home destroyed and I would long for things to be the way they once were. However, I do not think it would be a good idea to rebuild New Orleans, not where it was anyhow. It was not built in the best of places in the first place (not that the people who first built it could have known that). It's in a spot that has a known annual hurricane risk. They can rebuild the city, but to what end? So that another hurricane can come along and destroy it again? You know that it will happen again. It's only a matter of time.

I know I probably sound unsympathetic right now, but I'm trying to look at the situation from a logical point of view (which is why that argument at the top of this page did not persuade me--it was too much of an emotional appeal). I think that if they want to rebuild it so badly (though it will undoubtedly cost taxpayers dearly) they need to build it elsewhere--further inland or something like that. No levies, no barricades, nothing's going to stop another hurricane like Katrina. There's not much we can do to stop them--except to build inland. So if they really want to rebuild New Orleans, let them build it elsewhere.

Those are just my thoughts...

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a moving description, but false. One example: New Orleans was only part of the birth of jazz. Harlem, Chicago, and Kansas City all played a part in the genre's growth. I seem to remember Harlem as the biggest influence.

In fact, I think it can be argued that New York and its buroughs are the spiritual center of this country and a far better symbol of what America is (still not complimentary though ...).

Or perhaps you could use Salt Lake City, home of a religion that was grown here in America -- in spite of persecution so intense Constitutional rights were ignored on several occasions -- and has become a worldwide organization.

Really, you could point to any town in this country, big or small, and say, "That's America."

As for rebuilding, I think the reason why some people are so fixed on it is because they just want things to be the way they were before Katrina hit. They're still reeling from the shock. But even if the levees are fixed or, better yet, replaced by dykes, New Orleans is never going to be the same. Personally, I think that's a good thing. It sounds like New Orleans was starting to get stagnant.

Don't get me wrong. I get a little sad when I think New Orleans may never be as big or "easy" as it once was (kind of like Galvaston after the 1900 hurricane). But it's not like after 9/11 when I kept looking at the pictures my husband took during his trip to New Jersey -- him and his brother standing on one of the islands out there, the World Trade Center commanding the background skyline. For a few days, I wanted NYC to rebuild, if only to have that skyline back.

Now that the magnitude of what occurred has sunk in, I know that no amount of rebuilding is going to change what happened. So, just like New Orleans, I really don't care what the people there do. I'll only get upset if no one wants it rebuilt, but the government tries anyway.

Sorry for the long post.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited September 28, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
My only hope is that the Cafe du Monde is rebuilt somewhere -- and I don't care if it's New Orleans or New York. I'd hate to lose those beignets for good.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

See, the "we could build it somewhere else" idea counts as a vote against, I think.

My own thought is that if the federal government shells out to rebuild the place, there is no way that anyone would accept it retaining the "charming" character lauded as a reason for rebuilding it. Nor is there any chance that you're going to get that feeling anyway, in a city that has been forced to rebuild. The entire argument focuses on the easy pace and historical flavor of New Orleans, and I don't believe you could just rebuild something like that, even if you thought it desireable.

It's true, the argument correspondingly fails to say anything that dictates that New Orleans has to be rebuilt on the same location, which is what is being debated.

But my question is more hypothetical. Assuming that there was some magical voodoo about the site itself, such that only by rebuilding in exactly the same place would you get this quality back, and that this voodoo would be strong enough to grant the identical "charms" to a new city rebuilt on the same location, and that you want a city with that special charm (no good answering if you're sad about the people who died but really quite happy the city was destroyed by an act of God), would this argument be sufficient for you to consider rebuilding New Orleans worth the money?

I know that I'm stripping away all the realities of the situation, but this is a writers forum, after all. If a place like New Orleans didn't just happen by itself, would you pay good money for it to exist?

ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If New Orleans is the spiritual center of our nation then Las Vegas must be our conscience.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, that'd be Wall Street. Of which fact the 20% below the poverty line from New Orleans could attest.

[This message has been edited by ChrisOwens (edited September 29, 2005).]

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
If you say so...
Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
In a nation that's becoming tragically homogenous, I always used to count on my trips to NO to provide a particular flavor and experience I can't get anywhere else. There's nothing pratical at all in that sentiment, I know, but I've never considered any of my hedonistic tendencies as being practical. And Survivor is probably correct in assuming that old flavor is almost certainly lost (the old wealth will return, the poor--a large part of that flavor--will be discouraged from doing so).

I doubt there are many practical reasons for rebuilding; though, the political rallying point will undoubtedly fuel speculative investing--and money to be made will be reason enough for many. Perhaps there's a worthwhile social experiment here: not just the rejuvenation of a depressed and decadent city, but since we seem to love building in enviromentally sensitive (and dangerous) areas, I suppose we need to figure out how to do it right. Not that this will actually lead to either of those things (idealism, apparently, isn't practical either), or that there aren't better areas to concentrate our efforts on (South Florida and Manhattan come to mind as better candidates), but if we're going to go down this path (it seems we will), why not get the most out of it.

No answers here...just musing.

[This message has been edited by onepktjoe (edited September 29, 2005).]

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good morning America how are ya
Say don't you know me I'm your native son
I'm a train they call the City of New Orleans
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done

I've had that mulling around in my head for a while, now it's out...good!

Sentimentallity may seem like an illogical and impractical reason for rebuilding, but it is still part of what makes us human (well, most of us ).

Should New Orleans be rebuilt as the Big Easy...I don't know. Is a city only a collection of buildings and streets and population numbers? Or is the city the people? The dynamic? The interactions?

If the people of New Orleans rebuild their city will it be the same as it always was? Probably not. Why not? Because the people who are the city are no longer the same. They have lost a certain amount of the naiveté they had. Like Prince Hal who had to lose his father before he could grow up and become King Henry V.

"What should be rebuilt?" The question might be better asked, "What can be rebuilt?"

I don't know if you can restore naiveté once it has been lost.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited September 29, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we can fault people for wanting to rebuild their homes. Even folk in big cities put down roots. Natural disasters like hurricanes and earthquakes trigger survival emotions, and I think in order to survive people must go into a "I won't be defeated" mentality. Rebuilding would be an act of defiance. Who can fault them for WANTING to rebuild? No one faults the citizens of San Francisco for rebuilding after the last big earthquake there. The people of New Orleans are no different.

From a practical standpoint, one must consider: What's the worst that could happen, and could the worst happen more than once? Obviously, building a town below sealevel on the edge of the ocean creates problems. I would suggest it be demanded from the governmental agencies in charge of such things to rebuild the levees so they can withstand another major blow like Katrina.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited September 29, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would suggest it be demanded from the governmental agencies in charge of such things to rebuild the levees so they can withstand another major blow like Katrina.

You can't. Any scientist or engineer not lost in human arrogance will tell you that. It is a losing proposition. There are several reasons that I know of and probably more that I do not know:

1) engineers extrapolate from known conditions (ie the past), and that's ok when there's a straight-line relationship, but with the uncertainties and failures of models due to the changes of global warming, simple extrapolation doesn't work

2) relative sea levels in that area are rising

3) the uncertainty of the changing climate invalidates the hurricane prediction models. the scientists cannot provide realistic input to the engineer's black-box equations and unthinking kee-jerk reaction methods.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited September 29, 2005).]

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the French Quarter (where all the jazz and all the "culture" and so on comes from) wasn't flooded anyway. It was high and relatively dry.

I also thought that what got the worst flooding and needs the most rebuilding was the poor district (aka "slum"?).

I'm in favor of just keeping whatever part of New Orleans that didn't get flooded, and if that isn't enough to count as a city, just turn it all in to some kind of "theme park" or full-fledged tourist attraction like Williamsburg, VA.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Kolona, I need those beignets!
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Robyn_Hood, that's just what I was trying to say, but you did much better in fewer words.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
We rebuild New Orleans for the same reason we allow terminally ill patients to use health care. Because if you don't contribute to the hopeless, the set of cases that have no hope creeps up into those who currently have hope.

How will it be repaid? The consumption of rebuilding will be an economic engine that stimulates the whole economy. Much like war is good for the economy. When you can be productive without supply creeping up on demand, it creates an economic engine. I don't think that is a good reason to go to war, but it is why the rich allow war to happen before they have exhausted their resources to stop it.

I live in a stupid place. I live on a faulth line between moutains full of reservoirs and a desert full of chemical weapons, industrial waste, and possibly nuclear waste containment facilities. I personally wouldn't demand a rebuild here, but I know 50% of the population consider this a sacred site.

Oh, and by the time I finished replying, I forgot to ask... what does this have to do with writing?

[This message has been edited by franc li (edited September 29, 2005).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

>>Oh, and by the time I finished replying, I forgot to ask... what does this have to do with writing?<<

It has to do with thinking, and thinking is the crafty application of thought to paper.

mike

punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this has certainly stimulated thinking, and an on-going discussion that has exercised those brain cells to give different sides without rancor.

Rebuilding will happen, whether it should or should not, with and without emotion. The emotional appeal Survivor posted for us is only to be expected. But it is unnecessary.

People who own the land and lost houses can't just pick up and move on unless they are filthy rich. They are invested in the land, and will do what they can to get the insurance money. And they will get some help, and they will rebuild. After all, who will buy from them? They may not want to go back, but unless they were renters that is not a viable option. Landlords and tenant owners will return. Gulf shore oil and other businesses need the infrastructure back.

The opportunity is of course to do it better - to build houses/buildings designed for the area, to build levees to the best of our abilities (make them better than the worst reports recommend, and find other solutions to offset what mikemunsil mentioned and know that it can never be perfect), to change and progress to the extent allowed. The locals are actually excited to rebuild the schools. As Corky mentioned, not all of New Orleans was flooded - about 20% (I think) stayed dry, and the rest experienced a variety of levels of damage.

And franc li made a great point about rebuilding being like war, in the economic engine that will evolve from the disaster. It will be interesting to see if the fears of illegal immigrant labor come to pass, and that people from the area may not get needed jobs. I understand why they lifted the federal wage controls for rebuilding, but I suspect it will lead to many problems as well.

Other than the rebuilding generating income, and the return of the New Orleans economy, repayment won't happen. To the extent that the government can and should help (a topic of controversy to be sure), some of the rebuilding will be paid by the taxpayers of the U.S. That actually brings me comfort. Because if and when a disaster of this proportion hits my area (or yours!), I'd like to think the government would help us too. It's like insurance. You pay for it, you hope to never need it, but it sure is a good thing to have when you need it.

We are responsible to protect ourselves - savings, insurance, foresight... Insurance companies are responsible to have the money to do as they promised when it is needed... Government is responsible to protect to the extent possible (and we all know by now how money was cut from budgets that would have strengthened the levees - for whatever reasons - and that those in the know KNEW that the levees would not withstand a Katrina-force storm), and help in times of disaster. Unless we pass laws to make that impossible. But we won't, because you never know when it will be YOUR turn to flee.

I've never been to New Orleans. But, someday, I hope to go.

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I suppose I'm being over subtle.

Okay, goods on the table. I didn't particularly care whether or not New Orleans got rebuilt before I read that essay. But after having read it, I now want New Orleans to be rebuilt at the greatest possible cost and inconvienence.

Why?

So it can get destroyed by a hurricane again.

Now, that may be a little hard to explain in the context of what I'm asking all of you. But the key point is that the emotional appeal did touch me. I feel a desire to see New Orleans destroyed (even if it has to be rebuilt first). Probably none of you are quite like me in that respect, which is good for you. So I'm asking whether this argument, and not any speculations about landowners or civil/social engineering or stimulation of the economy, has affected anyone else. I don't mean only those who read that essay and came to a new understanding about what New Orleans means, those who already felt this way about it are welcome to respond.

I'm going to break my own rule and point out that the standard understanding of the economics of war is flawed, because war directly affects the economic activity of individuals who believe in the cause for which the war is fought. Those people become more invested in their society and thus more productive. That's why you usually have a post-war boom when you win. But losing a war, even if you lost nothing meaningful like territory or access to natural resources, results in a post-war malaise (and the malaise starts before the war is lost if most people are against it). And the rich are like anyone else, they usually support or protest a war for their own reasons, not out of percieved economic benefit.

DavidGill
Member # 1688

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
New Orleans will be rebuilt. It is a major port, and as such, it vital to our nation's economy. The same qualities that make a major port also make it a liability in event of a hurricane--sea level, mouth of a major river, etc. Another major port could be built, but it would then be almost as vulernable to a storm, and it wouldn't be as good of a port.

New Orleans is not alone. San Francisco would be rebuilt, and it's on a major fault. Seattle would be rebuilt, and it's in a volcano basin. How many towns are on the Mississippi and vulnerable to seasonal flooding?

If a natural disaster destroyed your city, you could choose to stay or go. Rebuild here or go elsewhere. But it's your choice, not the taxpayers.

In the final analysis, we don't get to decide whether or not N.O. gets rebuilt or how it's rebuilt, no matter how many tax dollars go to rebuild it. Only the people who lived there do.

Posts: 179 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dandelion
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Dandelion           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seattle would be rebuilt, and it's in a volcano basin.

While Seattle is next door to a large, active volcano, it's probably more at risk from a catastrophic earthquake along one of the big, nasty, newly-discovered fault lines that apparently self-correct in one huge whomp instead of constantly rumbling off some of their energy like the California quakes do before their whomps.

And as far as New Orleans goes... If you'll be happy to see it destroyed again, then rest assured that it will. Maybe not soon, but it is inevitable, IMO.

New Orleans is/was/always will be a victim of the very levees that protect it from the surrounding waters. It's the levees that prevent the natural buildup of sediment that offsets the natural packing of the ground; thus NO sinks. Remember, it wasn't the hurricane that wiped NO, it was the subsequent flooding.

And it will get rebuilt on the same location - it's already happening. I'm assuming that there will be some shoring up of levees, and/or other hideously expensive mitigation attempts. Eventually, there will be another catastrophic failure. Maybe not for a very long time, but as we've learned the hard way over and over, Murphy is right. And Murphy loves worst-case scenarios.

Did the argument in the original post appeal to me? Nope. I think his argument is inaccurate and egotistical at best. A number of cities feel that they are the "spiritual center" of the U.S; I think none of them are, and outright claims of such borders on offensive to the rest of us. If NO gets rebuilt, it shouldn't be because some guy (or even the whole of the NO or U.S. poplulation) thinks it's the spiritual center of the U.S. (and even if it were so, that's not enough of an argument for me).

If I were Ultimate Dictator, with Ultimate Funds, I'd say, level it, make a monument out of it, and rebuild somewhere that's not so vulnerable. But I'm not, and the answer to the rebuilding question is already a done deal.

Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I don't think he meant a spiritual center of the US as a whole, but of that part that is spiritually centered in a place like New Orleans. That was the part that interested me, anyway.
franc li
Member # 3850

What's funny is that Mormons can't even decide what the spiritual center of Mormonism is. I hope this isn't too inside of a topic to go off on here, but there is the "Salt Lake is the center" contingent, and the "Independence Missouri is the center" contingent. I don't know if the "Jerusalem is the center" is enough people to be a contingent. I guess there are a fair number of "Guatemala is the center" folks. And, I guess there are people who feel that there is a big star in outer space that is the center of it all. Though they don't talk about it in Sunday School much, at least around these parts.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I think that most Mormons would see Salt Lake City and Independence as both being historically important to Mormons, but I doubt that many see them as being historically important to America as a whole, even though both really are.

The thing is, the Mormons already left one and are planning to leave the other. So I don't see a mystical preoccupation with place as such there.

However, Mormons do build temples, which are pretty expensive and serve a fairly archane spiritual purpose.

And that's what I'm really getting at anyway. If we consider New Orleans, not as a place for people to live and work, but as an "escape from your mundane world", how much (if anything) would we be willing to spend on such a place, particularly knowing that it could be destroyed by another act of God?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

I guess I don't feel like I can complain since the government spent about a quarter million dollars on my family once without improving matters for us in the end. At least, I'm thinking that's what a transatlantic flight with an in-flight refueling runs. Certainly if you factor in the medical costs, since I doubt they have to pay the retail cost on such a flight.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, even if they adjusted the schedule, it wasn't like that plane wasn't going to fly sometime.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.