Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Typos

Author Topic: Typos
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent out a story to Strange Horizons 3 days ago, and I realised today that it had this BIG typing mistake in it that either looks like a real typo or like I don't speak proper English at all.
Is there anything I can do apart from biting my nails and wishing I'd reread the story a zillion and one times instead of a zillion times?

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a tough one. I figure that no matter how many times I've read something there's still a typo in it, but when I KNOW there is...

3 days ago? Strange Horizons? Well, they seem to be pretty nice people over there. I once resent a story on the same day w hen I realized there were formatting mistakes in the original. I know they don't get back to you for at least a month, recently closer to two months, so I'm going to go out on a limb and recomment a politely worded resubmittal. Don't give them specifics about why you're resubmitting it, just say you found an error in the original version and would they please delete it and consider this one instead?

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with Christine. Although I haven't yet submitted to Strange Horizons, a polite request along the lines Christine mentioned would probably be acceptable.

Good luck and try not to worry about it too much.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

I'm not worrying (honest...grin).
Finally, after calming down and looking at the typo, I decided to leave it as it is. The problem that I didn't mention is that I already bothered them with the story once (because it was a rewrite of something they had already turned down), and I don't want to make a nuisance of myself more than I already did.
But thanks for the advice and the comfort, I really needed that.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
My last article in "Workshop" had a typo in the last line. Much like stories written in "not-English," it suffered in translation.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't speak for any other editor, yet as someone who receives numerous submissions with typos and other nagging troubles, I would not take any offense to an author resubmitting a story with errors fixed. It proves that the author DOES care about his or her work, despite the initial oversight -- we're only human. But to be fair, the occasional typo won't necessarily kill a story. It's when there are dozens of them along with other easily fixed issues that scream "First draft-itis." Yes, I have rejected several stories because of excessive typos and other formatting woes.

The things to really look out for are homonymic errors, like "their" instead of "they're" or others (which is why I would generally advise avoiding certain contractions). Sometimes, though, I see errors that make me giggle. I recently saw "he aimed center-mast" when the author must have meant "he aimed center-mass." Obviously, the author misheard the term and probably knows next-to-nothing about shooting guns.

Best advice I can give: Have someone reasonably intelligent help proof your manuscript -- preferably, someone who isn't a close friend or family member.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited October 02, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

As far as I know, this is far from being a first draft . And there was only the one typo.
Ah, well. So be it.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.