Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Proper Capitalization

Author Topic: Proper Capitalization
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
If a pregnant woman refers to her enlarged abdomen as a "Buddha-belly", should "Buddha" be capitalized?
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, although as a pregnant woman I take offense to that anology.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
As a pregnant woman you should be referring to yourself as "Shamu."

I think it depends on whether you are referring to buddha as a noun or a proper name:

1) Some people revere Buddha as a spiritual teacher.

2) The monks taught us we can all be buddhas.

Personally, I would capitalize "Buddha-belly" as it would reference a specific individual, more or less, rather than a generic group of people.

(Edited to add a smiley so Christine knows I was joking!)

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited October 04, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I assumed she was referring to the man, Buddha, since he is the one with the belly.

Shamu? grrrrrrr

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. It is intended as a term of endearment. In a story the husband rubs his wife's tummy every morning before going to work because "it's good luck for the baby."; as a result the wife starts refering to her tummy as her "Buddha-belly".
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the one whose belly you rubbed for luck was a Chinese fellow named Ho Tai (or something like that).

So I went and checked on Google and found out he's a Zen monk as well as the Chinese god of Good Fortune and Guardian of Children (so that connection works for pregnant women, in a way).

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
He's called "the Laughing Buddha" as well, and he carries a sack of goodies for children (reminds me of someone....)
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
That was my comment about capitalization, I believe. I thought it should be lower case, since buddha-belly was being descriptive and wasn't actually referring to Buddha. It jarred me, but perhaps it's just a personal preference. Sorry if that's the case.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it would depend on what cultural point of view it was coming from. I generally see the spiritual leader referred to as "Buddah," but I've seen the statues referred to both as "little buddahs" and "little Buddahs."

When reference is made to the little statues of Jesus one sees around, I've never seen "Jesus" not capitalized.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Ahavah, this isn't a matter of preference so much as correctness. Buddha, in this case, is referring to a man. We know that because we're talking about his belly. Let's say you wanted to compare someone else's belly to my belly:

She has a christine-belly.

She has a Christine-belly.

The first just isn't right.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also the implication. The quality being described attaches to Buddha the person, not to buddhas.

There is a little bit of a...because Buddha's fat belly is symbolic of his contented state, just like his long ears show wisdom. But the implications of "Buddha-belly" as opposed to "buddha-belly" are still the important thing. Go with whichever one you want to use. I like "Buddha-belly" as having a straightforward and accessible meaning.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.