Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » By the end of October, I will...

Author Topic: By the end of October, I will...
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Here goes!

By the end of October, I will...

-submit "Gruffs' Bluff" to the cliché market
-submit "Switch!" to Apex
-write something, anything!, new
-participate in the Liberty Hall flash challenges, regardless of how many pints of blood I sweat while doing it
-consider signing up for NaNoWriMo
-outline something if I decide to go ahead with it
-do more critiques: participate more with the sub-club at Liberty Hall and in F&F here

That should keep me going for a little while!

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
- Send out another flash/short
- Try not to miss any Flash Challenges (did not miss any last month!)
- Finish a chapter of my WIPs
- Get more writing done
- Reregister (if possible) to Nano *done* (user: quasipsyco)

[This message has been edited by JmariC (edited October 05, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by JmariC (edited October 05, 2005).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Participate in at least two short story challenges at Liberty Hall.

Revise "Howard's Proposal" if necessary and submit it somewhere.

Work on sci-fi ghost story for Apex Halloween contest.

Research and think about novel.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Have this baby.

I think that's going to be enough for one month.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I'm a doula and a multi-mommy. Feel free to write me if you want to talk. I love all things childbirth. Best Wishes!
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

Oh yeah...

* Participate in Flash Challenges

* Re-read the New Testament accounts of Jesus's last days (for nano)

* Finish Universal History books on Christianity/Byzantium, Rome, & Greece

* Finish reading "Public life in Bible Times" and similar books

* Read No Plot? No Problem!, by Chris Baty

* Online research as needed

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
---have worked on some of the things I intended to work on in September.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Continue researching my folklore stuff.
Write at least one short story under 5000 words.
Revise at least to the end of part 1 in my novel.
Continue juggling the requirements of grad school, writing, and my natural laziness.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can scratch the two subs off my list. Both are on their way to the their respective markets.

Now to decide whether I want to revise my flash piece about life as a piece of dryer lint...

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Congratulations! I'm a doula and a multi-mommy. Feel free to write me if you want to talk. I love all things childbirth. Best Wishes!

Thanks. I tend to get increasingly quiet as the days tick down toward my due date (this is our fifth baby). That final week I'll probably be non-existent online. However, if you like, I'll send you the birth story afterward. I love telling and hearing birth stories.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alnilam
Member # 2914

- posted      Profile for Alnilam           Edit/Delete Post 
By the end of October, I plan to submit my manuscript to a publisher. Sigh, jitters, the fear of rejection. But I will.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to continue writing my novel. Writing fantasy basically means that I don't ever write short stories that can be submitted to market.

OH well .

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

This is probably a silly question but, why not?
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahavah - I have multiples too - twins that started out as triplets (one stopped during the first trimester). Keeley - 5 - wow! I think your goal is perfect. I'm not due until Feb so I don't have that excuse ;-)

For October:
- Outline my idea for my NaNovel, set up notes for characters, setting, scenes, etc.
- Contact possible places for write-ins
- Finish rewriting my WIP
- Try to do some more cleaning and getting rid of stuff so there is room for another baby!

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

Keeley, I can't wait to hear it! I hope you have the perfect birth!

Puna, I should have clarified. (I was going to say multip, but realized not everyone would know what that meant). I have two daughters, but not twins. Congrats on yours, though! Now that I've been blessed with a colicky one, I can't imagine having two at the same time. At least the oldest lets me have my peace if I pop in a Dora video...So is this pregnancy the twins/triplets, or another? I know we don't have PMs here, but you can feel free to email me if you want.

franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Figure out where my story begins.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

As we're into the homestretch, I thought this thread could do with a bump!

quote:
By the end of October, I will...

-submit "Gruffs' Bluff" to the cliché market
-submit "Switch!" to Apex
-write something, anything!, new
-participate in the Liberty Hall flash challenges, regardless of how many pints of blood I sweat while doing it
-consider signing up for NaNoWriMo
-outline something if I decide to go ahead with it
-do more critiques: participate more with the sub-club at Liberty Hall and in F&F here

Well I had the subs done pretty quick, and already got a rejection on the one. Now I need to find another sci-fi/flash market and sub again (something other than Pedestal or flashquake because I already have subs there).

I have participated in one of the LH flash challenges and even managed to get a vote or two in some of the categories. I didn't lose too much blood, but I'm not sure if I want to pursue it for now. At least it is something new and not an entire piece of tripe.

I have been critiqing more lately, but still think I should be doing more. Oh well, I will need a goal for November, so I might as well carry that one over!

I have decided not to do NaNo. The story I thought about outlining and expanding just doesn't want to work for me. It isn't one I particularly like and I think it would end up being rather juvenille and that isn't really a market I want to write for right now (enough excuses?).

Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
What about November??

I know that I'm going to take my birthday off. I'm going to continue to work on "Olympus Uprising" and "Call of Faya". The last one will be edited and polished up after it sits a bit.

Those are my November goals. Thanks.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Continue researching my folklore stuff.
Write at least one short story under 5000 words.
Revise at least to the end of part 1 in my novel.
Continue juggling the requirements of grad school, writing, and my natural laziness.

I have done the folklore stuff, which is about all I managed so far. Grad school is more time-consuming than I thought, and I'm moving into a place of my own for the first time, which implies long shopping trips for furniture etc. Damn. Will have to carry over the short story to next month (although I did manage to plan most of it).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Monolith wrote:
quote:
What about November??

Ah, patience, young Jedi.

I confidently predict that within a week, someone will start a thread titled "By the end of November, I will..."

It will be interesting to see how many entries consist simply of "Write my NaNoMo entry".

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Neh!
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. Participate in at least two short story challenges at Liberty Hall.

2. Revise "Howard's Proposal" if necessary and submit it somewhere.

3. Work on sci-fi ghost story for Apex Halloween contest.

4. Research and think about novel.

1. Well, I did one. I would have gotten a second one in, but one of the weeks was cancelled. On the plus side, the one story looks like it will grow up to be a novel.

2. Check. I submitted "Howard's Proposal" today.

3. Came up with a concept at least. I don't really have a plot or character to go with it. Maybe it will become a chapter of my NaNovel.

4. Nope. I decided to wing nanowrimo, so no research necessary.

All in all, not a bad month.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.