Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How do you divide up your writing time?

Author Topic: How do you divide up your writing time?
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever I go back and edit something, I feel like I'm not writing. I know, that's stupid. Editing is as much a part of it as the "getting it down on paper" part. I guess I'm frustrated with things that don't go together quickly, feeling pinched by finances maybe, trying to bring in some extra cash with my only real skill. I guess I tend to put aside those things that don't look like they'll go together quickly because at 46, I'm feeling pressed for time to "make it" as a writer.

Yeah, all that's illogical. The only way I will make it is to keep writing and rewriting.

Also, I spend a lot of time reading sites like this, critiquing instead of writing, and wasting time with no direction.

So, anyone else ever feel the same way? And how do you divide up your writing time?

Shane

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited October 05, 2005).]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
95% procrastination, 3% fresh drafts, 2%editing.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's too depressing to think (and to put a number) to the amount of time I don't spend writing .

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate revision and avoid it like the plague. Well, minor edits and nits are okay. It's when the plot shifts and entire sections have to go. I just start over at that point. So I actually don't spend tons of time editing. More time is spent writing complete drafts. True, I will sometimes write multiple separate drafts of the same story, but to me it doesn't feel as awful.

And yes, I procrastinate a ton.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I love procrastinating lately. Tons of things are better than actually setting butt in chair .
To me, although editing is part of the writing process, it is not writing per se. I don't feel happy unless I'm actually writing a first draft, which does not happen all that often. But after I've completed a story, my natural inclination is to edit it anyway. It's painful and I hate every moment of it, but I tell myself that in the end it makes for a stronger story.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Working to a schedule never seems to work for me for very long...sooner or later I abandon it, and go back to snatching some time whenever I can find it. (Usually on my days off plus an hour or two a couple of other days.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

Seems like there are a lot of kindred spirits here!!! Thanks for your honest replies.
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warbric
Member # 2178

- posted      Profile for Warbric   Email Warbric         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a procrastinator, too. I read a lot of history, writing books, and other authors' works, and call it "doing research," but I spend shamefully little time actually writing whatever the heck I call myself researching.

Oh, and don't feel bad about your age, Smaug. I'm at least a year ahead of you, so I feel that strong urge to get my act together, too.

[This message has been edited by Warbric (edited October 06, 2005).]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who really likes editing? First drafts are hard. Second and third and fourth drafts are fun.

So, when I'm writing first-draft, I spend a lot of time procrastinating. When I'm doing revisions, I spend a lot of time working. And, in the mix, I spend time on here reading stuff, and some time checking out markets and sending out short stories and the like.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1655

- posted      Profile for Avatar300           Edit/Delete Post 
I spend an hour in the morning telling myself I'm going to write and/or do some school work.

Then I spend the rest of the day doing neither.

I spend the half hour before I go to bed kicking myself for being so lazy.

Finally, I vow to do better the next day.

Posts: 78 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

That sounds familiar!
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
sometimes I procratinate by editing
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Between the procrastination...I mean, brainstorming...I seem to go in cycles. I'll do a lot of writing for about three months, then I seem to lose steam and I switch gears to editting. One by one I pull out the stories I've written and decided if I want to work on them or chalk them up to experience.

Lately I've been in an editting mode. None of the story ideas I have seem to have a strong enough voice and if I don't have the character's voice, I can't seem to write anything worth reading. So I've been editting. Pulling out the stories that I wrote four or five months ago, looking at them with fresh eyes and deciding what to do next. Several of them aren't worth any more effort, but a few of them have plots or characters I want to play with some more.

Hopefully this editting phase will pass and I'll start hearing my character's talk again. I have some ideas I want to play with, I just need to find the right way to tell the story and that won't happen until I'm done with the characters sitting on my hard drive.

(P.S. Beth's formula isn't too far off either )

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
First half of every writing session is editing and rewriting, freshening up the story. Second half is new writing. This can be half of fifteen minutes (mostly) or half a day (seldom).
Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I divide my writing time into minutes, that way, I know how long I've been writing.

Writing to me is:

Creating draft copy.
Editing copy.
polishing copy.
Market research.
Preparing manuscripts.
Mailing manuscripts.
Remailing manuscripts.
remailing manuscripts.
reading for critique.
outlining.
research.
training yourself (including being on Hatrack)
And on and on and on.

Writing is a business, and like any business, it has a lot of facets. Any one of them is time well spent.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garp
Member # 2919

- posted      Profile for Garp           Edit/Delete Post 
My writing time is between 5 and 7 every morning. Writing, for me, is everything from idea development to final draft. Whatever I do, I generally do it between 5 and 7 in the morning.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually measured out the proportions of time between rough draft and final copy...but I sense I'm spending more time polishing than I used to. It's the computer. It makes it so easy.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.