Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Rant About Life and Writing

Author Topic: A Rant About Life and Writing
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate melodramatic good-byes. I'm so frustrated right now though, and I can't think of any other time I'm going to be able to post again and -- as my husband would say, "just like a woman" -- I need to vent.

I'm going to have to stop writing altogether for a while for many reasons. In fact, I can't see myself getting back to it for several years.

First, my kids. I have four with one on the way. The two eldest have special needs that have always presented a scheduling problem. Because of these needs, I decided to homeschool them.

Now, homeschooling isn't a problem. I enjoy it and they're learning a lot more (at this point in time) than they would in a public school. Between that and the social skills they're learning through other organizations, they're doing pretty well. But that doesn't change the extra time I need to spend with them.

Even if I had them in public school, I would still have two kids at home demanding my attention. And I've learned I can't write fiction in five-minute intervals. I'm constantly jarred out of my universe and what comes out is garbage.

Adding a newborn on top of all that is going to stretch my limits as it stands.

Second, there's my husband's health. We've had a couple of scares recently with his heart as well as other things that we thought had gone away and some new things (like fainting spells when he's sitting down) that have just started.

So, I'm taking care of kids during the day and my husband at night. We have friends who can help out -- and have been helping out -- but there's no way I'm going to ask them to help just so that I can crank out a novel.

I hate this. I love writing more than I can say and yet I also love my family. It's been a very difficult decision to make, but certain events today have made that decision pretty clear. I got too involved in thinking through a scene and didn't realize my five year old daughter had undressed, climbed in between the blinds and the window and was being watched by a group of college-age guys. Luckily, my upstairs neighbor saw her and told me about it, otherwise, I might have remained in my own little world.

This, and other, smaller incidents have shown me that I can't write during the day.

I can't write during the day, I can't write at night. Weekends are out because I'm either running errands or recovering from the rest of the week. I have no time and I don't see any of this changing for at least the next few years if not several years.

I don't know. Maybe things will get better sooner than I think. I just know I can't get pulled in two directions anymore. The tension's too great and I'm going to crack if I keep trying.

So, the point of this long, emotional rant is that I'm going to be gone for a long while. It kills me to say it, but my family is more important. And I know if I post here or even lurk, I'm going to be tempted back into writing again. I need to say good-bye publicly or I'll just keep coming back: I need closure I guess. Same goes for Liberty Hall.

Thank you to everyone who's critiqued my stories and especially to Kathleen and OSC for this wonderful forum. I'm going to miss you guys. I'll be back as soon as I can.

-- Keeley

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Keeley,

You are one of my favourite authors here and I always love the stories you turn out. You are one of the most compelling story-tellers I have encountered in a long time and I truely enjoy the characters and worlds you create. I still get chills when I think about your Sleepy Hollow re-write or your story, "Master of Roads".

I am sorry to hear that life is taking you in a direction away from your writing. There come times in our lives where we sometimes have to walk away from the things that bring us the most joy in our lives. Family is so important and I hope and pray that things will work out in such a way that you will be able to return to the thing that brings you happiness.

Your presence here and at Liberty Hall will be missed. I will miss not only your stories but your contributions to the community in general.

All the best in the future, and I hope you can return sooner rather than later.

Yours truely,
Theresa
Robyn Hood

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Keeley,

I understand where you're coming from. My heart goes out to you. I truly hope you can be happy in the responsibilities you have. And remember, this too shall pass. Perhaps when the kids are a bit older you'll be able to carve out some time for you.

Remember that, even if you don't spend any time writing, YOU are important, not just the needs of your family. Set aside small times to do something for just yourself once in a while. Your family will be healthier for it. And I'm sure that friends and family who babysit will also understand the importance of time to yourself.

Maybe during those personal times you can at least jot down ideas for stories, or write a few pages. If writing feeds you as a person, it is still important. And if you choose to/aren't able to even do that, then find something else to take its place. An activity that feeds your soul. We all need things like that. They aren't time wasters. They are important to LIVING, not just existing.

Good luck with your family, and God bless.

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes keeley.

You won't have the extra self-imposed pressures, you'll enjoy life a little more. When you are ready to come back you'll be richer for the break.

From someone who took a four year break, (1999 to 2003) I think you're doing the right thing. I got to know people better, especially my kids, which I had not supposed but can now see.

It has been hard to start up again but, so far so good.

Best wishes also for the new baby.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 06, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
aww, Keely. Best wishes to you.

Autumn is 100% correct - YOU are important, too. Whatever else you're doing, take some time to do things that are just for yourself.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
And remember, Keeley, that we're here.

Consider all the things that are happening to you and that will happen to you as "grist for the mill" that you will be able to use later when you can spend time on your writing.

You really aren't giving up writing entirely, you're getting a LIFE and with that LIFE, you're filling up the reservoir from which will come wonderful stories some day.

Best wishes to you and to your family. We look forward to seeing you again when things have calmed down for you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll be here waiting on you. And you'll be back again and writing again, I know it.

Some years ago I started here, and then due to family issues with my special needs kids, I had to drop out. It hurt. But I promised myself that I would return, and I have.

You will, also.

I'll be here waiting for you.

See you then, Amy

mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
That you've been writing with all that going on is amazing all by itself. Do take time for you and your family. It's important for all of you. Maybe some relaxing reading will feed the writer in you while you're away from your own writing. I wish you God's best in all aspects of your life.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keldon02
Member # 2398

- posted      Profile for keldon02   Email keldon02         Edit/Delete Post 
Have a good time doing what needs to be done and telling stories to the little ones. Writing will be there another month or year.

K2

Edited to say 'been there done that'. Now I have time to write the stories I used to tell the kids and used to plan when I was at work. Your time will come.

[This message has been edited by keldon02 (edited October 07, 2005).]

Posts: 245 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Having been in a situation where I couldn't write for an extended period of time, I can tell you that it's important for you to keep the dream alive. There will come a time when you will be able to write again. Too, keep reading. That you can do in five minute intervals, and you will learn by osmosis if you decide to pay attention.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you feel any better, I put writing down for about 15 years, for exactly the same reason. I was a single parent, and it was too much for me to handle while raising small children.

I feel like the hiatus was useful. I spent time reading and gaining life experience, and ultimately all that made me a better writer. Nothing is lost, nothing wasted. When you are ready to pick up the pen again, it will feel like a life-giving thing and not an energy drain. And by then your daughter will have learned to keep her clothes on. Good luck!

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
We'll be waiting. Maybe not exactly the same us...but we never are from one day to the next. Some things stay the same, though.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that, even when I'm not writing on the keyboard (or with the quill pen), I'm still grinding things out in my head. I chew over this or that detail, come up with scenes and plot points for novels I'm working on (and sometimes for novels I've long since finished), and paw over something I've written in my head for a better way to express myself.

(Aside: Stephen King wrote somewhere (his last collection?) that he composes a "bedtime story" in his head as he's waiting in bed to go to sleep. I was impressed. I've been doing that for years now, and sometimes they make it all the way to the computer screen.)

Well, the point is, that I can't turn it on and off like a light switch. It's too ingrained in me now. I've been writing seriously since I was fourteen and I can't stop, even if I wanted to. Just because I'm not typing it out doesn't mean I'm not writing.

So rest. Don't write. And if things improve, if it's in you, it'll be there when you want it again.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a saying that if you CAN stop writing, you should. I'm betting Keeley can't stop!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, life can be overwhelming sometimes. Good luck with your family, and here's to you coming back someday.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
My heart goes out to you, Keeley.

May I suggest keeping a journal? That is something you may be able to do in five minutes. Doing so may help you vent, find your center, and keep you wriiting something. And especially when life is as hectic as yours is, you need to find five, ten, even fifteen minutes just for you. Not meaning to sound too Dr. Philish, but you need to take care of your kids' mom and your husband's wife. It does sound like writing may not be in your life for a while, but that doesn't get you out of taking care of yourself.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with everything, and I hope that things settle down in the future.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there still time for me to offend you before you leave us? Hmm... what to say? Crumbs, I can't think of anything offensive (why is that?). So, I'll only say that whenever you need to chat or whatever, send me an e-mail. If you want to talk shop, that's fine, too. Because you don't have time to write doesn't mean you can't still keep abreast of what's going on in the writing world. (And you can always keep sending out finished manuscripts to publishers even if you don't have time to write anything new.)

Anyway... Family always comes first -- sacrifices made are hard, but always worth it in the long-term view. Things will work out, don't worry.

Good luck, Keeley. Keep in touch.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.