Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Time to Write

Author Topic: Time to Write
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a goal once: 4 pages a day in my first big novel length story. I did that for a while. Then school started. And a got a new job. Then I met this girl named Emily. Now, instead of writing 4 pages a day, I'm lucky if I get down a page every 4 days.

What do you usually do to keep life from getting in the way of your writing? I've tried several things before, but have yet to find anything that really works for me.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
I tell my beloved, "You watch the babies" and then I sit down at the computer and don't get up til I'm darn good and ready. Even if that means nursing while typing left handed.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
My heart bleeds for you. I have a full time job, three kids, a wife, a mother-in-law, and two dogs in the house, I'm a cubmaster and a disctrict cub scout roundtable commissioner, I drive kids to four separate musics lessons on various evenings, have to help two kids with difficult honors homework, and one kids with easy homework he "doesn't get," and cant write much on the weekends at all, I manage my own portfolio, maintain a third-acre lot with grass to cut and trees to trim, I do my own taxes, I filled out immigration papers for two separate people, following them year after year, and I still managed to get a 75000-word novel finished in 6 months. If it's important to you, you'll find or make the time.

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited October 07, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. You have to choose your priorities. We all have 24 hours a day, how we use that time is up to us. Maybe it's more important for you, in this stage of your life, to be exploring a romance, or focusing on school. But make your decision conscious and deliberately so you don't beat yourself up for not writing, if that's the case.

If you DO feel a burning desire to commit to writing, set aside sacred time each day for exactly that purpose. I get up in the early morning and write for a couple of hours. I recently let my cousin's son move in, and now my morning hours are ebbing away by having someone else in the house who wants to chat and doesn't see the invisible barrier I'm trying to erect around my computer desk. So I may have to choose to get up an hour earlier each day. But each day, it's a choice.

I write in the early morning, but some people are better at night. Figure out which end of the day you are freshest and most creative. Use THAT time. I personally can't think past 9PM. And it's, lessee, 9:16PM right now... zzzzz

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for having someone you have to report to, so you'd rather do the writing than admit you didn't make your goal! That, plus reasonable goals.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I agree. Set some time aside. Though I tried the morning version and it didn't work for me at the time, because I was preparing some competitive exams and I needed my sleep. Now I'm in grad school and I use the long midday break to get creative. So far so good.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garp
Member # 2919

- posted      Profile for Garp           Edit/Delete Post 
1. Don't have a page-quota, have a time-quota. Tell yourself you're going to write one hour a day. If you write 2 pages, great. If you write 8 pages, great. It doesn't matter, so long as you work at writing one hour a day. If one hour is too long, then make it a half hour.

2. Forget the novel for now. At least until you have more time, or more gumption.

3. Forgot about getting published. You sound like a new writer. Chances are you won't get your first novel published, or your second. Chance are you won't get your first story published, or your second. Or your tenth.

4. Don't even worry about writing every day. Five days a week is just fine. But no less than five. Keep a diary to keep you honest.

In other words, don't worry about anything except becoming a writer--someone who writes on a regular basis. If it comes down to it, don't even worry about writing real stories. Just write scenes and episodes.

If you can't find time for this, then maybe you're not a writer. This isn't a bad thing. I could never have been an athlete, as much as I dreamed about becoming one, because I didn't have the dedication needed to do it.

PS -- I wake up at 5 in the morning to write. If I didn't do it then, I'd never do it. And I HATE waking up in the morning. But I hate not writing more.

PPS -- I haven't given you any advice I haven't taken myself.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
And, don't get hung up on the idea of writing every day. Consistency always sounds nice but it doesn't work for everyone.

There's no reason why working 1/2 hour six days a week is inherently superior to working 3 hours on a Saturday; it all depends on how your mind works.

But the bottom line is you have to put in the butt in chair time. There are a gazillion ways to get yourself to do that; you're just going to have to try them all and find some that work.

For me, I need external deadlines and a low-pressure approach. If I just sit down and try to write, nothing happens. But if it's for a flash challenge, or Nano, or something else, presto.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well when I was a kid I walked up hill in the snow to school and back, both ways. We didn't have paper to write on, so we used . . . oh yeah, that was my grandfather.

Spaceman, that didn't sound so bad until you threw the mother-in-law in there.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

She doesn't eat much.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
2. Forget the novel for now. At least until you have more time, or more gumption.

Welcome to Hatrack, Garp. Although I had to look up "gumtion" in the dictionary, this is something I have seriously been considering.

In the last three months I have managed to get about 20,000 words into this story. While that's quite a bit of progress, it would still take me the better part of a year to finish the book at that rate.

On the one hand I'm thinking about setting this story aside and working on smaller ones until I have more time for writing, so that at least I'll have some finished stories instead of one big unfinished one.

On the other hand, I don't want to spend the rest of my life writing short stories, and everyone seems to agree that the best way to learn how to write a novel is to write a novel. That makes me want to just stick with it until I get this one done.

Anybody have experience with this? What's the best thing to do? I know that no matter what I do I probably won't be publishing anything in the near future, but I'd really like to think that four or five years from now I could be. (I just haven't figured out what the best way to get to that point would be).

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

The thing is, there isn't a "best" thing to do. You just have to figure out what works for you.

If you stop writing your novel, I guarantee it won't get written. If you want to write a novel, write a novel. If you want to write short stories, write short stories.

If you get hung up on the "best" way to do it you'll never get anything done. Just do something and trust that you'll figure it out as you go.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garp
Member # 2919

- posted      Profile for Garp           Edit/Delete Post 
Beth seems to be against getting "hung up" on any kind of self-reflecting questions because they take you away from "getting it done." Though I do agree that there comes a point when you have to decide, I think you have a legitamate concerns . . . although I think your statement about not wanting to write short stories the rest of your life is a bit of hyperbole.

1. There are two schools of thought. One says to start with short fiction, then move on to long fiction. The other says that the forms are too different from one another, and that the only way to learn to write in one form (the novel, in your case) is by writing it. Having written both, there is something to be said about this. OSC wrote a great essay several years ago about his expereince of transfering from short story writer to novelist, and it seems that he sides with the second group--you learn to write novels by writing novels. It's in one of the Writer's Digest books on novel writing. Maybe your local library will have it. Alas, this doesn't help much. Which leads us to number two.

2. What do you prefer to read, short fiction or long fiction? And, what kind of stories make the most sense to you, short or long fiction? For me, I enjoy the novel 100x more than the short story. That's a clue.

3. Finally, you have to realizes that there are sensibilities--something I learned from a private e-mail exchange with James N. Frey, who wrote the two DAMN GOOD NOVELS books. Very few authors are competent with both forms. Hemingway was one. Stephen King, Isaac Asimov, Orson Scott Card are some others. But most writers are good at only one. Ray Bradbury has written two or three good novels, but his genius is in short fiction. So is Harlan Ellison's. Tad Williams, Robert Jordan, John Irving--they're are novelists. This doesn't mean you can't learn how to write short fiction (or long); it only shows you how your creative mind works.

I have a gut feeling that you want to write novels, but are afraid of the commitment. Understandable. If I'm right, then write novels.

Oh yeah, if you could write one novel a year over the next 40 years--and even if you didn't publish the first five--you'd be one of the most prolific novelists of all time. So don't think a novel is a year is a snail's pace.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why you can't do both. Visit any of your favorite novel writer's web site, and you are likely to see short stories as well. I like both--I write both. Write what you want and then worry about publishing later.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the last three months I have managed to get about 20,000 words into this story. While that's quite a bit of progress, it would still take me the better part of a year to finish the book at that rate.

Look at it this way. After the next twelve months are over, it will still be a year later. It can be a year later with no book written, or it can be a year later with a manuscript completed. But it will STILL be a year later.

Putting off writing because of how long it will take you to complete your manuscript is simply one of the many ways procrastination derails us from our dreams. You'd be surprised at how often we let procrastination mask our fears.

Ask yourself WHY you are unwilling to invest this next year in finishing a manuscript. Is it because you are afraid that, after all that time, you will have wasted the year on something that is no good? That's a common fear all writers must face at one time or another. Face your fears, then get over them. BIC--Butt In Chair--is the only way to get from here to there.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

It's true that I'm hung up on dithering vs working. Actually that's kind of funny, because I'm probably the biggest process queen around here. I guess I've just learned that there's no reason to believe that what works for one person regarding writing process will work for anyone else; you just have to get in there and figure it out for yourself. And it is more productive to sit down and make mistakes with your writing and go in the wrong direction, even, if only to learn what doesn't work for you, than it is to sit around and talk about writing.

You can learn a lot from writing short stories. You don't have the margin of error that you do in a novel. You need to get it right. You also need to be efficient with your storytelling, a skill that I think a lot of novelists could benefit from. You need many of the same skills that you need to write novels: character and dialog and plot and description and world-building and so on. If you spend time writing shorts you will learn a lot of skills that you can put to use in novel-writing; it will not be wasted time.

The other thing about shorts is that they're, well, short. So you can write a bunch of 'em, and try new things, and practice techniques, and learn what works and what doesn't work - wheras if you commit to a novel you're pretty much working within one style and one framework. You'll learn a lot about how to write that particular novel, and you'll learn some things about writing ficion in general - but you might learn more from a year of intensive short story writing. And you might realize you really like shorts.

But if you don't like short stories and don't want to write them - well, there is no point in forcing yourself. Write what you want. Figure it out as you go along.

Spaceman
Member # 9240

A Hugo award winner told me a true story of somebody he met in high school. The kid wrote the most gawd-awful interstellar war story, probably about three hundred pages long, then had the audacity to mail it directly to Isaac Asimov (not the magazine, to the man). Asimov sent him a letter that said, "Don't try brain surgery before you can lance a boil."

Think about it.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it that advice can be interpreted as meaning learn the craft in short fiction, then move to novels.

You can learn the craft writing novels, but it's harder to get the kind of feedback you need to successfully learn what you're doing. And it's harder to learn from the feedback you do get, mostly you'll want to curl up and die or spend time figuring out a way to make your critics do it in your place. Certainly, it will be hard to keep on writing your novel if you're getting feedback about the basics of the craft while you're trying to write it.

Still, write down what you have. Don't worry about making it publishable until you've got a few short stories or something similar under your belt, but do record the ideas. And keep doing that. Write everything down, or at least as much of it as possible (I'm so bad about this, but in the past I've been quite good about it, even if I've managed to lose most of the material I'd written down). You'll thank yourself for it later, when you're ready to write the story you want people to read.

But the craft of writing and the original ideas for your stories...work on one at a time.

Or maybe you should ask me about this in a couple of months

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

He left it up to me to decide what it meant. My specific instance aside, I believe that your interpretation is correct for most people.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.