Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Procrastination

Author Topic: Procrastination
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it normal to procrastinate close to the end of what you're working on??

I've been writing on "Faya" now for close to 3 or 4 months now, and I'm oh so close to the end.

I have to get past the lock on the ending, but I should be done in another week. I write handwritten pages at lunch at the Vo-Tech but other than that I haven't written much here at home. Is that strange to anyone??

Just wondering. Could you wonderful people give me some advice on this??

Thanks as always

Monolith

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
thanatophobia

n : a morbid fear of death

I sometimes think that what we call procrastination is really fear of finishing. While ever the story remains unfinished you can imagine that the ending is going to be brilliant, perfect. However, the actual writing of it will narrow your 'dream ending' to real ink and real paper.

It may be brilliant, it may not, but at least it will be finished.

Edit: Good luck

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 10, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

Thanks Hop

Great words of encouragement. I still have to edit the darn thing too. (19254 words now) and I want to trim it to submit it to WOTF for January.

I'm hoping it'll pass the first round of cuts.

I'll get off my butt and finish the thing hopefully this week.

Thanks again Hop.

Your friendly neighborhood Monolith.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
That's not a particularly fast pace. I wrote 80,000 words in four months, and revised it several times (down to 73,000) in another two, and I procrastinated quite a bit. Not near the end, though, only where I was struggling with the story.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

Spaceman,

This is my first major try at a story of any length. Of course, I wrote a story about 12 yrs ago but that was on my own and I had the time to do it. I'm just excited and nervous about finishing this one. I'm not trying to step on any toes, here, but, this feels like a major accomplishment to me.

Then like in another thread, I'm leaving it open to another novella length sequel. But that is another topic.

The only thing I'm saying is, I'm happy with my progress, and I'm not satisfied with it yet. But I'm going to polish it up and then I'll be happy.

Still not trying to be rude.

Thanks for responding to this post.

-Monolith-

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Relax. Nobody is throwing stones. If you are happy with your progess, then the only person that matters is satisfied. It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks about it, at least until you have an editor giving you a deadline.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought about contributing to this topic when it first started, but then figured I should wait a while...

There can be a fear of completion, that delays a writer when they're close to the end, but I honestly believe that the closer to the end of a piece of work you get (particularly if it's a long - novella and up - piece), the harder the writing becomes. It may be different for people who write in linear fashion - I have a huge respect for people who can do that; I only started getting anywhere with my writing when I finally broke away from that restriction and started writing key scenes and interesting character bits, and then started weaving things together. For me, there's a great sense of satisfaction when my "@@@@@" markers (which I use to indicate that there's a gap - anything from a single linking sentence to an entire series of chapters) finally start to decrease in number, rather than increase. The only novel I finished felt great when I whittled the markers down from around 30-odd, one by one, until they were in single figures, and finally reached the magic point where I did a search of the document and found no occurrences. But it took me about half as long to do those final 30-odd scenes as to do the rest of the novel.

Basically; the first 90% of the story takes 90% of the time. The remaining 10% takes the other 90% of the time...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that you're plannning on entering the WOTF contest. It's a tough contest, but a very respected one. Because of that, I can't stress enough that you should just get your story done, whether it's the ending you want or not, at least you'll be able to call it finished. Then you will have a good four to six weeks left to put it away until you can take an unbiased view of it, and still have a few weeks for editing and changes. If you try to edit it too soon after writing it, you'll cheat yourself. You can always change the ending then, and very likely you will, since you're pondering it so deeply now.

The reason I give you this advise is because of personal experience. I have been entering the WOTF contest for about ten years now (not every quarter, since I took about 7 years off inbetween), but quite a lot. I have entered every quarter this year. In the first two quarters, both stories placed in the quarter finals. I really thought I had the contest down by the third quarter, and sent off what I thought was going to be a sure winner, but I was wrong. I cheated myself and didn't give the story time enough to sit, and then didn't edit it well enough. It didn't even place, and it was what I still think is the best story I've written to date. It just wasn't ready.

When I reread it, I saw why. It didn't have a catchy beginning, started too slowly, and there were some errors in it. I didn't catch any of this, or even the obvious errors until after submission because I didn't give it time enough to sit. Stories are like good wines. They have to sit awhile to become good.

So don't cheat yourself and your story by not giving the story time to sit, and by not editing it well enough. This contest is so competitive that your manuscript should be as close to perfect as you can make it. You want it to shine.

Another thing that I noticed about the contest is that they seem to like longer stories, like novelettes, so your target length for this story is good. I've seen them select shorter stories when they are really good too, but a longer story, if good, gets a little more attention I think. As far as cutting it, you shouldn't have much trouble since most writers agree that a second draft is usually 10 to 15 percent shorter than a first, which would put it under the 17,000 limit.

Good luck with the WOTF contest!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read this post later...

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually find I go faster as I get closer to the end of a long work...I've written twenty pages a day in stretches like that. I attribut it to a combination of rising momentum, and a deep and burning desire to be finished with the damned thing, that drives it on.

According to the notes in the posthumous Tolkien books, J. R. R. Tolkien finished the narrative portion of "The Lord of the Rings" in one great burst of activity (from the middle of the last book to a point past the end as later published). His son-and-editor Christopher Tolkien seemed at a loss to describe how this could have happened...but, from my own experiences, it seemed clear to me what had happened...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm I started writing Friendship in Trouble 20 years ago, at 5200 hundred words, thats like...well less than a word a day.

Still not finished. always find ways to improve, polish...

Don't worry about the pace of your writing.

Start with an outline of the finish, just jot down the basics of where the story will go and then refine and rewrite that.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gnomeinclaychair
Member # 2926

- posted      Profile for Gnomeinclaychair   Email Gnomeinclaychair         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta agree. The story'll come when it comes. Me, I gotta TRY to write it, but I won't force it. I'll write a little every day. Sometimes I write a lot. Sometimes I write a little. The trick is to give myself the opportunity every day to do either.

Oh, and if it ain't fun you ain't doing it write.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that everyone has a different method, but here are my thoughts.

Procrastination is your mind's way of telling you that something is wrong with your story. Look at your feelings when you go to sit down. Do you think that there are things you'd rather do? Or do you have a sense of dread? Maybe you just feel lost. Each of those reactions, while natural, are often a sign that you've taken a wrong turn someplace.

The story will come when it comes might work, but if you don't sit down and write it won't come at all.

When I've procrastinated at the end of a story it was almost always because I had made a mistake earlier in the story or was about to write the wrong ending. Figure out why you are procrastinating and that will tell you how to stop.

Finally, if nothing else works, sit down and just write the next word in your story. That's all, just one word. Now repeat. Sounds stupid, but it works.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valtam
Member # 2833

- posted      Profile for Valtam   Email Valtam         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to write in bursts. I'll have a flurry of activity, working on multiple stories, and then nothing at all for days or weeks. And when I get to the ending, I just don't want to end it I want to leave it open, just so that I don't have to close that door and mark it "done". Writing an ending is one of the hardest parts, I think. It forces you to leave the world and characters that you created and nurtured over the course of writing the story.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
If you suspect that the end scares you, plan on writing the story past the end of the plot. Then go back later and cut it off where the plot ends.
Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.