Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Another question, concerning dialogue nar..

Author Topic: Another question, concerning dialogue nar..
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. You guys are so nice and helpful. I have another question. With this story I'm writing, the majority, like 70 percent is so far just narrative. There is only a bit of dialogue here and there. It is 3rd person, just so you know. What is everyone's take on this?? I have a couple of friends who are not writers, just avid readers, and they say, don't worry about it. The story is the story, and don't force the issue. But I just feel that is might be a little boring or something without a lot of dialogue. So anyways, what do you guys think?
Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Without actually reading it, it's hard to say; it might be completely perfect as is. But in general, I'd look at breaking it up more, particularly if your instincts are telling you its boring.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Beth's right: it's impossible to do more than generalise without actually reading the work.

I confess that any story arriving in slush that presented solid pages of narrative used to make my heart sink. It's a lot more reading than mixed narrative/dialogue pages. A story that's mostly narrative may not be longer than a mixed story, but it feels longer. That said, too much bare dialogue and I lose interest, especially if I have to start playing "he said, she said".

Tastes differ. I like scenes. Other readers like, or at least don't mind, a lot of glossing and reported speech. I like scenes . Scenes involve dialogue.

That said, a gripping story is a gripping story, no matter how it's presented on the page. If you've written a gripping enough story, nobody's going to start counting the number of dialogue lines.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luapc
Member # 2878

- posted      Profile for luapc   Email luapc         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with both Beth and Buffy Squirrel. There's nothing wrong with a story having either too much dialog, or too little, it simply has to be right for the story. Consider a story about a lone survivor somewhere with no one to talk to. It could be a very good story, and yet have absolutely no dialog. There's no hard and fast rules with writing fantasy. There's only common sense rules like spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

I will make a suggestion though that might help you adjust a story if you find it has too much narative. Take one of the scenes that is completely narative and introduce an outside non important character. In SF it could even be a computer or something, and talk the scene out through dialog instead.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just brainstorming without a very big brain, so how am I even typing this?

Do your friends give real objective judgements, what OSC calls a "Wise Reader"? Or are they just telling you what you want to here? I know that might sound a little harsh, but people may value your friendship over your writing, and thus they might not make the best objective audience. Oftentimes, the writer might not even be objective enough themselves to judge.

For me, if it is blocks of straight dialog, that would be a bit of a challenge to read, just as if it were blocks of narritive with no break.

Take Roger Zelazny's first novel, "This Immortal". While I really like Zelazny's works, his first novel had blocks of dialog that made it unenjoyable for me. Sometimes it was a challenge to even follow who was saying what. Of course, that was just straight dialog, no narritive beats at all.

But what do I know? It tied with Dune for a Hugo.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember Ursula LeGuin's classic short story, "Those Who Walk Away From Omelas." One of the most powerful short stories ever written, and not one line of dialogue!

So, as said before, it depends.

(BTW, if you haven't read the above story, what are you waiting for? Go down to the library and find it! )

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but it was quite a short story. But I think the majority is right: you can't know until you try. It's your story, not ours.
(incidentally, does anyone know in which volume I could find "Omelas"? I've been wanting to own it for ages, but I can't find something still in print containing it).

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf II
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Leaf II   Email Leaf II         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, guys. I definately have a 'wise reader,' so that's all good. They've been very helpful, as opposed to being a 'yes man.'

Also, in another part of the forum I can solicit readers to help with my story, right? I've only read some of the rules for that so far ( don't worry I will though, but Im not ready to post anything yet).

So anyways... thanks.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Silver, the story is in The Wind's Twelve Quarters--which, of course, is out of print.

And the title is actually "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" (my bad ).

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
If the narrative is simply exposition (like the way fairy tales are told) then I'd be concerned. If it involves a good number of active scenes, that may very well be dialogue-less, then I don't see a problem with it.
Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas Ligotti, the short story writer, uses very little dialog and his stories are excellent. So, as a lot of people have pointed out, it really does depend on how good the story is and whether the story doesn't need a lot, if any, dialog.

[This message has been edited by Paul-girtbooks (edited October 12, 2005).]

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
To be any good, dialog needs narrative context. The reverse isn't true.

Of course, dialog can contain narrative context, so there are occasional all dialog stories that work just as there are stories with no dialog at all which also work.

Don't make characters say things just so you'll have more dialog. Don't muzzle them because you think you have too much. Let them say what they say.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.