Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Are missing or wrong details a deal-breaker?

Author Topic: Are missing or wrong details a deal-breaker?
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a couple of responses to crits I've given come back with the comments that something that bothered me wasn't that big of a deal to the writer.

Of course, each writer must accept or reject critiques as they see fit.

But there are some details, small though they may seem in the writer's eyes, that are deal-breakers to me. When a story glosses over known fact, or presents a solution that isn't logical or realistic, I'm outta there. My ability to suspend disbelief is lost, and I chuck the book aside in disgust.

My question is, how tolerent are YOU for missing and wrong details?

Here's one example:
Years ago I was watching one of the "new" Twilight Zone episodes on TV. Keep in mind this was before most people had computers or color printers at home. (Yes, I AM that old!). Anyhow, I worked in a print shop (with real printing presses!) at the time. So, I'm watching this episode and there is a neighborhood alert gone out for a scary individual who has been lurking there. The neighborhood activists put up posters warning neighbors about this person. The problem for ME was they were printed using a 4-color process, which would have cost them about $1200-$1500. No one does that for 50 street flyers! You use a photocopy machine, which runs you about 10 cents a page. It wasn't realistic. It completely pulled me out of the story, and obviously I still haven't forgotten the show's faux-paux, even 20 years later.

Am I the only one who is a stickler for those kinds of details? Am I being too persnickity?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I walked out on the original Star Wars movie, for using WWII fighter technology in space, and for being able to hear the guns fire in space.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Persnickity is a great word.

One thing to keep in mind is that different details will bother different people. My guess is that there are very few perfect stories. It's not even a matter of doing homework. Sometimes it's a matter of thinking you know how the world works when you dn't, and never managing to talk to the right person to get the information. How many people know about the costs associated with 4-color printing? Well, I do now and will endeavor not to make that mistake but a month ago I might have made it. Who would care? People like you, Elan, who know better.

Now I do have a question about how much you let it bother you. Did that completely ruin an otherwise perfectly good movie or was it insult on top of injury? I can't count the number of movies with laughable computer technobabble. It's like, didn't they hire someone who knows anything to check this stuff out?

I was watching a movie with a PhD chemist a couple of months ago, one I happened to find amusing and still do, but he was twitching over the completely unrealistic chemistry in the movie.

In Hollywood in particular, I often go with dumb blinders on or I'll end up wasting my money. I just want to be entertained.

That said, in my personal writing I strive for the best. It's entirely possible that between now and publication I miss pertinent facts, but if I handed a story over to a critiquer who happened to know something about the subject and could point out an error I would not turn a deaf ear. I'm not sure why anyone would.

So go get a pair of dumb blinders so you can enjoy life a little more, but take them off when you critique so you can keep trying to help people do the best job they can.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
It's the things you think you know that often trip you up.

Movies are a lost cause. Reality is always going to lose out to story and spectacle. I can't even mutter "Gosh, isn't it noisy in space?" these days without being told to lighten up. It's only a movie.

In the Mammoth Book of Best SF 17, there is one story I will never read again because I awarded it my prize for The Worst Story Premise. I resented having my time wasted.

Some people will notice. Some won't. Some will care. Some won't. But my feeling is that you should strive as hard as reasonably possible to get it right, so there's nothing TO notice. You owe it to yourself.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's often a deal-breaker, and even if not, it lowers my patience with the author.

OTOH, I watched all of Temple of Doom. Early on the characters fell out of speeding plan in an inflatable raft, hundreds of feet, and survived. This told me: forget plausibility in this story. So I was able to enjoy it.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
The deal breakers for me are plot holes and logic you could drive an 18-wheeler through and idiotic computer tech and "hacking" in movies and books that are pretending they're serious.

I see this more often in movies than in books, probably because most of the books I read are written by people who have a good grasp of computers and plot.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apeiron
Member # 2565

- posted      Profile for apeiron   Email apeiron         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the thing I ask myself, when I realize someone got their facts wrong: Why was this element included in the story?

In the case of the 4-color process posters, the reason the director chose color was to enhance the visual aspect of the scene. Which makes sense, considering television is a highly visual medium. Had it been written in a book that they were hanging colored posters, and I knew what you know about the process, I would be less forgiving because nothing is added by including something so unreasonable.

The most important consideration is whether or not the wrong detail shows that there will be more of the same--and whether or not they will be predictable. That's what it's all about--predictability!! If people are falling out of planes on rafts and living, then I expect the guy who leaps out later in the movie with, say, a sheet like a parachute to survive as well. If he dies, I feel cheated. Set the rules--as absurd as they may be--and stick with them!

As for the little details that get buggered up from time to time, I try to be forgiving. We can't catch them all. But when it comes to the subjects we know best, sometimes this is impossible. I tried reading _Angels and Demons_, for example, but I just couldn't get passed the honky about storing great quantities of antimatter to appreciate the murder mystery. It's my loss--I'm sure it's a great book. But some things hit too close to home. Guess we just have to accept it. I don't think anyone's intimate with enough subjects that they can't find something to enjoy.

Posts: 184 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
When I run across something I know to be a mistake, it tends to stop my reading in the story dead in its tracks. (Or non-fiction book---a popular field for misinformation.) No matter what it is. I immediately cast doubt on whether the author knows what he's doing in all the rest of the book.

(Two examples: in a history of the US, the author gives the first name of the Fonz ("Happy Days") as Vincent. (It's Arthur.) In a new biography of the Beatles, Jackie DeShannon is credited as the composer of "Needles and Pins." (It's Sonny Bono and Jack Nitzche.))

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That life-raft thing actually works, you know. I mean, as long as you land on snow at an angle rather than, say pointy rocks.

Anyway, it was the last good part of that movie. If you watch ToD as just a short adventure, and only watch till they get to the river, then it's not such a bad movie.

For myself, I can't help noticing things. But I don't let them bug me too much. They throw me out of the story a bit, and I mention it, but that's all.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ahavah
Member # 2599

- posted      Profile for Ahavah   Email Ahavah         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always going to be some expert on every little thing, and the moment someone makes a mistake...If I write a story from the VP of a werewolf, and he gets shot with a silver bullet and a blinding white pain washes over him, some werewolf out there is going to write me and say, "It's actually more of a burning green flame, if you can imagine, and really silver bullets don't do much other than make you sick."

That said, I've nearly lost my sanity with poor Steve of Blue's Clues. He signs fairly often, but then most of the time when they sing their clue-song and say "Three", Steve holds up his hand, thumb and little finger touching to leave the three middle fingers up (which most people do). But in sign language, that's six, not three! I'd get huffy every time, but Eden loves that show. Eventually, someone must have told him, because in more current episodes he signs it correctly.

Everyone has something that screams at them, and I doubt you'd make it through a whole career without irking someone that way.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
With most little flaws, I tend to be forgiving (exceptions definetly being Vikings with horned helments -- I'd burn any book containing that).

But, I think it's a good idea to try to check all of those things -- because people remember. Years ago, I read a novel by Terry Brooks. I haven't read it since, and about the only thing I can remember was that he described a tower as being tall, black, glossy, and being made of granite. Granite isn't solid black! Argh! I still enjoyed the story...but now that's the only thing I remember about it. So, I try to check my details. Is an error the only thing you want someone remembering about your story?

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they painted the granite black.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
As a graduate student in a PhD physics program, it's quite difficult to watch only movies that are scientifically possible. There comes a point where you just have to let go of what you know would/wouldn't work, and enjoy the movie. There are probably thousands of examples I've simply forgotten, but a good case in point is Batman Begins, which I just rewatched recently. All in all I thought it was an excellent movie, but the idea of a "microwave emitter" that instantly vaporizes all water in the pipes of the city... but doens't vaporize the water inside human beings, thus killing everyone, just doensn't fit. Water is water, if something magically vaporizes water, it won't discount the water in our bodies.

But that's the kind of detail I can look past. They needed the water vaporizor idea for the plot to work, and it's just a detail, must like having sound in space. On the other hand, when I do watch something that makes scientific sense (a favorite example of mine is in Serenity / the Firefly series, they specifically exclude ALL sound effects for space battles. There's only music and visuals, becuase no sound propagates in space) it just makes the story that much better in my eyes.

Essentially, I've come to not expect movies or even books to do things completely right, as long as it's not ludicrous. For example, I think it was the movie, "The Core," that a friend and I were watching about "The core of the earth has stopped spinning!" and the solution is to restart it with a nuclear bomb. We saw the preview for that movie and couldn't stop laughing for a good five minutes, well into the next preview they showed. When something is horribly rediculous, yes, I can't force myself to watch it.

Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

I loved The Core. It was absolutely absurd, and I watched it with the Geology department at my university. Too much fun!!!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I almost had to recieve medical attention when I saw the trailer for that. It would have either been hyper-ventilation, a hernia, or my brother's elbow. Any which way, it was probably a good thing that preview ended when it did.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
What? The Core isn't completely plausible? I think the trailer probably would be the most entertaining part of the movie. I know I'd seen as much as I needed of it from that.

When the premise is so weak that 30 seconds is too much for logic to bear, someone needs to take writing classes.

The trailer for Stealth was like that too. Movies like that I watch when I'm in braindead mode and I need something that doesn't require any more thought than breathing. Always good for a laugh.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone actually go see The Core? I was pretty sure that even genuinely mentally handicapped people would find that premise unbelievable. I couldn't believe the trailer wasn't just a joke to make fun of movies like that with weak premises.

Speaking of weak premises and unbelievable movies...I got dragged (and I do mean dragged) to see "The Day After Tomorrow."

Movies should not be seen in big groups. Inevitably some vocal person wants to see a really bad movie and everyone else goes along with them. I've stopped being shy. Movies are too expensive.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I always wonder why people don't bother running their ideas passed someone with expertise in the field to make sure they aren't trying to promote something implausible. You'd think that someone somewhere would have questioned the science behind that movie idea before it ever made it to the big screen. If the science stinks, I can't buy in.

I am reminded of how horrified I was when I saw the first "Dune" movie made. The entire premise of the book was built around the importance of water for survival. And the movie execs had the freman running round with no facial coverings, no hand coverings. Yes, it would have made it difficult to convey facial expressions, showing them all in full stil-suits. But it destroyed the movie for me to simply blow over that central plot line. Oh, that, and the hysterical Bene Gesserit.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited October 30, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Having seen the trailer of The Core first, I accepted the crazy premise and then didn't let it bother me. While I can appreciate more true-to-life plots, I guess I have a sizable tolerance for belief suspension.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited October 30, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you guys seen the movie "Firebirds"?

It was the movie with Tommy Lee Jones and Nick Cage, they were Apache pilots.

Anyhow, I worked on them in the military, and I can tell you I HATED IT. The apache's were nice, but they had to change the configuration of the cockpits and all for security sake, but MY GOD.

Don't get me started on it, but let me tell you, I knew a few pilots like Cage's character, they were nice guys.

Unfortunately, my unit lost a few guys to a OH-58 crash. (The new helicopter type).

Sorry got off track.

I finished watching the movie. (Sucked by the way) And I haven't watched it since.

That's my two cents on that.

-Monolith-

[ Edited to rename the same lame movie]

-Monolith-

[This message has been edited by Monolith (edited October 30, 2005).]

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Saw it. It was...pretty lame. The central plot twist...really stupid. It had some funny parts, though.
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually with movies I can ignore most nonsense. Except historical problems. As a historian, I cannot abide seeing history massacred in film.

King Arthur was the worst. That movie got it all wrong. And they had the audacity to use the word "historians" when explaining what a good movie they had at the start.

Horrible.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

I remember seeing part of an interview with Harlan Ellison where he talked about his work as scientific advisor to the Babylon 5 series. He mentioned that when shown the scripts, he would often point out things that were wrong scientifically, only to be told that the producers were going to go with them anyway. Perhaps not so much a case of not asking the questions, but of not liking the answers.

Producer: "We've spent so many million dollars on this script. Whaddya think?"

Scientific advisor: "It's nonsense from beginning to end."

Producer: "Yeah, but we've spent so many million dollars on this script..."

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

My biggest problem is with infidelities to the original plot or characters or central idea when a movie is made from a book. Actually, my best friend now refuses to see book-inspired movies with me.

Examples:

-Lord of the Rings; the end of the trilogy, with the Shire being untouched by the influence of Sauron. The whole point was that even the most incorruptible place in the realm was influenced by the evil of Sauron's reign.

-The Andromeda Strain; they made Burton a woman in the movie, which negated the whole Odd-Man Hypothesis that Crighton came up with.

-The Harry Potter movies; just because there's too much information in the books to put it all in a movie, it doesn't mean that it should be dumbed down. Make two movies!

-A Sound of Thunder (upcoming); Aliens? What?!! You're destroying my favorite short story!!!

Et cetera. I won't bore you with all of my opinions. Suffice to say that I can suspend disbelief with even the silliest of scientific mistakes and oversights for the sake of a story. If I wanted a scientifically accurate form of entertainment, I'd read the journals. But when there's already a full story, and it's mangled for the purpose of putting it into a movie...well, I think they should just not make the movie. If you have to destroy a story to fit it onto the big screen, then maybe it shouldn't be there in the first place.

And I think the Bene Geserit in the Scifi Channel's remake were even funnier than in the original movie. They looked like cowgirls! It was very hard to take them seriously.

Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Personnally, I guess it depends on the details, but mostly it tends to throw me out of the story. I strive for accuracy, but I acknowledge it's not possible to be perfect.
I already told this story before, but I read the Da Vinci code, and at one point he has the hero try to catch a train at a station in Paris where
1. There are no trains at this hour of the night.
2. He can't catch a train for the destination he wants because it's the wrong station.
(I know this because I live in Paris).
The second point bugs me more than the first. It was a matter of seconds with the internet to check those facts, and the author could not be bothered to do it. Well, I can't be bothered to deal with him either.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

I still remember a film, made in America but set in London, in which a train drew into a station named "London". There is no such station. Mind you, this was before the internet...
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get black granite.
They use it in cemeteries a lot.
Here in Australia they import most of it from India.
Sure you can see its crystalline structure, but it is definitely black and shiny.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor choice of names will throw me off. Usually when they are names so laden with a particular cultural connotaion that to imagine them in some unrelated realm is ridiculous.

I try not to let it phase me but have stopped reading too many stories because of it.

Now that is Lemon Persnickety!

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm a little more tolerant of the movies and TV than books. Might be the manner they unfold in. If an error comes up, the movie / TV show just goes on, and it takes a short but measurable amount of time for me to find the remote and surf to another channel (or to get up out of my seat at the theater and storm out).

With books, I control the manner and speed in which the information is inputted. I can read the book fast or slow or somewhere in between. I can stop on a sentence or word. I can close the book. I make the calls.

Oh, and sometimes it's not errors, but just the way it's presented. I recently watched "No Direction Home," Scorsese's documentary of Bob Dylan's early years. A lot of fun stuff, really (I recommend it), but I had problems with it.

Early in it, they ran a brief clip of Webb Pierce singing "There Stands the Glass." They felt the need to put song lyric subtitles over it. This cheesed me off. I found it condescending, implying that Webb Pierce couldn't be understood...and considering all the other first-class lyric mumblers in the rest of the documentary, in particular world-class mumbler Bob Dylan himself...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.