Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » I think I know too much

Author Topic: I think I know too much
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
I took a writing seminar hoping to improve. But I feel more paralyzed than ever. But looking back I don't know what I supposedly learned. I guess the main thing we talked a lot about that I'm not too good at is setting the scene.

Maybe I should just work on finishing Character and Viewpoint.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You may need to give it some time to sink in, franc li.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Too much?
We thought you knew it all!

What did you lose by taking the course?
Time, and maybe some cash.

I think short courses have most effect when afterwards we play around with the ideas (old and new) and when we associate with people we have met on the course.

It's like a staff meeting at work, they tend to be magnificent examples of collective stupidity. Somewhere in the 'no one of us is as dumb as all of us put together' category. But afterwards, everyone gets together in spontaneous, informal groups and THAT's when things really get done.

There is power in associating with likeminded people who all get together once or twice to discuss and expand on what you have all just been through or learned as a group.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited October 31, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.