Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » legalities?

Author Topic: legalities?
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Would some of you educate me about the legalities of the following?

I'd like to write a story that reads as though a song were being played in the background. The lyrics of the song are important to the story. I had thought of doing so by switching back and forth between the telling of the story in regular text, and stanzas of the lyrics, in italics. The song I have in mind is long published and copyrighted, etc.

Would I have any right to attempt to publish that story if I wrote it? What if I only used a few of the lyrics and not the whole song?

My read of this, is that I would not have the right to do so, even if it were just a few lines of lyrics. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited November 09, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Any quoting of lyrics means money to the copyright holder of the song.

Neil Gaiman had a post about this before, but I don't have time to find the link right now.

The option is to contact the copyright holder to ask if and how much compensation they want (they may charge per line, it's up to them, or they just may want proper attributes).

If you can't afford the price, the only thing you can do is mention it vaguely.

Edited to remove misquote

[This message has been edited by JmariC (edited November 09, 2005).]

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, the copyright holder is probably a record company, and they are absolutely vicious about anyone quoting lyrics.

If the copyright holder is not a record company, you may have a chance, because the lyricist may be okay with your quoting the song. You will still have to pay somebody something, though.

I'd recommend that if you absolutely have to write the story, you only let a few friends see copies of it on paper.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Found the post: http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2005/06/fathers-day-thoughts.asp

Hi, Neil. I just have a quick question with nowhere else, at least visible, to turn. How does an unagented writer go about obtaining permission from a recording artist (or their management) to use excerpts of song lyrics in short works of fiction that they intend to (attempt) to publish?Much thanks in advance.

You don't go to the songwriter (unless the songwriter controls their own publishing). You go to the music publisher. You can normally find the music publishing information on a CD -- if you can't then you could search for the publisher through ASCAP -- http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?mode=search -- or BMI -- http://www.bmi.com/search/. Then you write to the publisher explaining what it is you want to do and asking how much it'll be.

In my experience it's usually about $150 per quote. (On the other hand, the people who control the song "Under The Boardwalk" said this week that seven words would cost $800 and it wasn't negotiable, and I thought for a moment, and changed

"Under the boardwalk..." he sang. "We'll be making love."

to

He sang. In his song he told them all exactly what he planned to do under the boardwalk, and it mostly involved making love.

which I liked better, and didn't cost anything.)

If musician-songwriters control their own publishing, it gets much easier (the cost of getting the Greg Brown song quote for American Gods was: I took Greg out for a nice sushi meal, which actually I regarded as a bonus).

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much!

I think I only have two options:

1) don't write the story, or
2) write my own lyrics

I'll do #2, but it'll make it much harder to write a decent story.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that there's any prohibition against simply *saying* the song is playing in the background, without actually quoting lyrics. The copyright holders might believe differently, though...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
There are no legal obligations to mentioning a song in fiction, but I sense the literary impact would be less than interspersing the lyrics.

Now a question I would ask is would you owe royalties if you wrote your own lyrics to an existing copywrited song and said

My Song (to the tune of 'His Song')

Assuming the song is not a parody of the original song(which would not require royalties)

edit: added the words 'your own'

[This message has been edited by pantros (edited November 09, 2005).]

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd only owe royalties if you performed the song using someone else's music.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Mike, it shouldn't be too hard. Just come up with some good lines and repeat them a lot.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Graff
Member # 2648

- posted      Profile for 'Graff   Email 'Graff         Edit/Delete Post 
And remember that the I-IV-V chord progression will always get you out of a bind.

-----------
Wellington

Posts: 114 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.