Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » "Editorial" advice

Author Topic: "Editorial" advice
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure I've seen a similar topic, but I can't find a trace of it.
Anyway. Today is my birthday, so I get a BFOD from Realms of Fantasy as a gift . It had this little handwritten note from the slush reader making comments on the story (basically, my first scene bored him). He then advises me to begin the story with people busy doing something (other than talking, or quarreling, which do not seem to count).
Should I take the advice? I agree the first scene has a problem, but I don't feel like his way of fixing it is a good idea.
In other words, when an editor, or slush reader, nicely comments on your sub (hell, it's better than form rejects), is the advice god-given, or can they be wrong?

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
They most definitely can be wrong.

Treat it like any other critique.

Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd answer yes and no to that question. I think the "arguing with critiques" thread talks a lot about critiquers who prescribe solutions, instead of describe the problem. Is his suggestion right? Probably not. But the fact that he made one means that there's a problem that needs fixing. Examine the problem, determine what the problem is exactly, and then you decide how to fix it. I think the prescriptive vs. descriptive approach to critiquing is what causes so much arguing -- the critiquer is usually right about the existance of a problem, but their suggestions as to how to fix it are often way off with the author's design/wishes/etc.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
My theory on this is that unless they say, "Change this to... and then resubmit," its just like any other critique.

Of course, keep in mind that these people are professional publishers/editors and they probably know what they are talking about more often than not.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a side note, the slush reader, Douglas Cohen, is a very good writer in his own right. I don't know that it makes his advice any better, but I personally would tend to give his opinion a little more weight than a random critter.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you are getting one person's opinion. But you must also understand that you're getting the opinion of someone who knows what's best (we hope) for the magazine they work for. So, if you were to resubmit to that magazine, you should strongly consider that advice. If you plan on submitting elsewhere, then by all means, ignore it until someone repeats it.

The truth is, what works for one editor, or slush reader, won't work for another. So, even if you're story is the greatest thing since the wheel, if that reader doesn't like it, they don't like it. We all have our peeves, and we all like our stories in a certain flavor, if you will. Some readers like a gentle setup with plenty of scene-building, and others want to be thrust into the action immediately. You won't please everyone.

Nevertheless, what you absolutely should take from this experience is this: Now you know what that magazine wants. If you choose to submit to them again, be sure to reread that rejection beforehand to make sure you aren't repeating your previous submission's problem(s). Nothing is more aggravating than an author who doesn't pay attention to their rejection letters and submit their whole body of work, one story after another, all of them with the same issues, hoping on the off chance that the editors will relent and accept a story. Phew.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday. Try looking at this the other way, it is quite a compliment that you got a hand written note. The story is of such quality that a very busy, very experienced reader thinks it deserves attention. Why not try rewriting it with a different beginning and see what happens. It isn't like you can't go back to the old version. And Silver, you know I am very familar with this same problem. If you want I'd be glad to read it for you.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It's just another critique. This one happened to be from someone with some power over whether or not your story got read by a particular editor, but it's not like you can send the story back to him. (If he invited you to, then that would be a vastly different story.)

Has anyone else made observations that your beginning is weak and needs help? Did his advice ring true to you and to your view of the story? Then go ahead and make the changes. Otherwise, it was very nice of him to write the handwritten note. It probably meant he thought the work was worthy of his time to comment, so it wasn't all bad. Someone else may like it enough to buy.

I've received editor feedback as confusing and contradictory as any other. I just got some today, actually...a friendly comment on a story that I'm just not sure I agree with but it was at least nice of the editor to say it was well written and take the time to comment.

What's it still doing on your hard drive? Send it out!

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Thanks everyone (and to Kickle for the birthday wishes)!
EDIT: I sent it out to Lone Star Stories, I got an "intriguing, but not appealing enough." this morning. Boy, is he fast.
And I had asked Mr. Cohen if he could tell me why he rejected it, so maybe he was just answering my question. Anyway, the first scene has a problem. I just have to find out which one.

[This message has been edited by Silver3 (edited November 11, 2005).]

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Silver, I'll look at it if you'd like... of course, I may disagree with everyone else and find something else entirely. That risk I leave to you.
Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it was my birthday too, and I received a rejection from Fantasy & Science Fiction. Eerie huh.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
What's so odd about a rejection from "F & SF?" I must have, oh, somewhere around a hundred and fifty of 'em...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what a BFD is, and a BOFH, but not a BFOD.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BuffySquirrel
Member # 2780

- posted      Profile for BuffySquirrel           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're an ant, it's the Big Foot Of Death.
Posts: 245 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Blue Form of Death. It's the form letter sent by ROF for most rejected stories. They have a yellow one (YFOD) that they send when you're getting closer to passing through the slush reader's filter.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a YFOP = Yellow Form of Promise.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
You would know better than I would, since I don't normally submit to ROF. It's not normally a good match for what I write.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

It's a YFOP; I got one once
Spooky coincidence, Dude

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.