Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » NaNo Check-up and Check-in (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NaNo Check-up and Check-in
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
screw nano. that is my informed opinion.
I have won 4 times. This year I went to Thailand instead. Good trade, I think

I find that funny. Well I suppose its not exactly hard to write 50,000 words in a few weeks as long as you can make time with it.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
I reached 43,560 yesterday.

This NaNovel may not have an ending, but it's getting 50k. By Sunday if I can, but no promises there.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
34,400 words.

I'm getting a little worried.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make it! The day I crossed the finish line I wrote 11k. I started at 39k and my goal was only to reach 41, but then I thought "Oh what the heck, let's make it 45, I've got time!" (It was a Saturday afternoon, so I wasn't fooling myself... much.) And then the next time I checked my words I was at 46k. And I thought, "Hey, I can reach 50k by tomorrow!" But it was only like 8 at night or some crazy early time... so I decided to write some more. And then I checked my word count again and I was at 48-something. And I thought, "Hmm. I wonder if I can break 50k tonight?" And I got stuck. I stared at my story and I wanted to cry because I didn't know what to do next.

So I went into the forums and signed up for a word war... and finished at 49,800. 200 words short. Then I *did* cry. Then I sat my but down and wrote a good 300 words because after everything I'd done that day, why the heck not? And then I screamed and scared my roommates and jumped up and down and gloated on the boards for the rest of the night.

There were a couple of other times that I wanted to stop that night, and I could not for the life of me think of a single thing that could happen next. But I found that doing word wars saved me, because I *had* to write, and it didn't matter if it was crap. If I wanted to win, the words were all that mattered. And, surprisingly enough, the word wars gave me some of my most interesting characters and my most exciting plot twists.

And obviously, judging by the length of this post, I haven't figured out yet how to cut the word count back down to something manageable. But I still have a lot of story to write, and I'm off to continue. Good luck to all who are still going--I know you can do it!

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
When does the next NaNo start? Because I heard something about the next one being March.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
It is every November.

March is when a number of people who have finished their novels turn to editing.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
I reached the goal yesterday with 50K plus. I'm still writing, and nearing the end of the story. This was the first year I participated in NaNoWriMo, and it was an interesting experience. I learned how to shut down the internal editor and just write. Will I like the story when I go back and read it later? *shrug* Who knows. But now I know I can sit down and write a lot more than I thought I could in a given period of time. And now I can send my laptop in for the repairs it desperately needs. Poor little laptop.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Way to go! First time and a winner. Now I guess I'd better get to writing...
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah! It's good to see another Hatracker joining the ranks of the 50K-ers! Well done, NMgal.
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Beth, I can't use that excuse very easily. Quick find me another...
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
50,022!

Yeah!

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.