Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Advent Rising

Author Topic: Advent Rising
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey.
Not sure if this has already been posted. But I was reading about a new PC game that's coming out in the UK in a few days time & it says this in the blurb:

Sweeping, evolving story by Hugo and Nebula award-winning author Orson Scott Card

Sounds like it might be worth checking out. Although I waste enough time on games as it is, without another one.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Its the 'evolving' thing that makes me think hmmm built in room for sequels.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bother, the game was horrible.

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ely
Member # 2558

- posted      Profile for ely   Email ely         Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking forward to this game, but unfortunately, the game reviews have steered me away. From what I remember, this was suppose to be a trilogy. If they do make a second, hopefully it will be improved.
Posts: 24 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was looking forward to this game, but unfortunately, the game reviews have steered me away. From what I remember, this was suppose to be a trilogy. If they do make a second, hopefully it will be improved.

Games in a trilogy usually have the first one as the best one, in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Leigh (edited November 20, 2005).]

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 2729

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the game wasn't the story- it had some major gameplay issues. It was the first major game of a brand new developer... so... yeah.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acapro73
Member # 3036

- posted      Profile for acapro73   Email acapro73         Edit/Delete Post 
I played the game on PC and I enjoyed it. There are no groundbreaking gaming concepts but the game execution is done preety good. The graphics are ok and the music is great.
The story was interesting. There is something like 1.5 - 2 hours of cinematics in the game.

The reviews say it is too easy and maybe that is correct but I played it for the story.

It ends with "to be continued...". I am afraid that the too harsh and bad reviews have killed it. I would realy like to see it continue.

If you are going for the gameplay then you can skip it, if you want the story - go for it.

[This message has been edited by acapro73 (edited December 02, 2005).]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 2729

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I loved the story- it's just on the Xbox- it freezes up- I was playing it at my friend's house. But now it can barely load- it took about 10 minutes to load the main menu screen.

I hope it continues and that get the flaws fixed.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KyleT
Member # 3399

- posted      Profile for KyleT   Email KyleT         Edit/Delete Post 
It played alright on my XBOX. They've canceled the series. They've also canceled the Advent Rising novel which Mr. Card was going to write. I enjoyed the story and music. The gameplay was pretty fun too. Duel weilding any 2 cominations of guns or superpowers that all potentially level up, including fighting techniques that level up. I thought it was all great fun but a bit glitchy.

[This message has been edited by KyleT (edited May 04, 2006).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
If nothing else, Advent Rising is an excellent title.
Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.