Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Titles

Author Topic: Titles
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious when you guys (and gals) title your WIP's?

Seems to me that most of the posters here mention their titles for their WIP's.

Try as I might, the title of my story always occurs last (or nearly last).

Should I name it before? Is it that important?

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I give WIP a working title from the beginning so I know what to call the file. Usually a better title comes to me along the way to completion, but sometimes not. Creating a good title is an art. Sometimes the title comes before the story. Ender's Game was written that way. OSC started with the phrase "End Game."
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that if I title a WIP too soon, the title limits what the story can be and hampers my imagination. So I either don't title it or use a working title that can be changed as the story grows and changes.
Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, it depends. Sometimes I base a story off of a really great title that I've thought of. Other times, I start writing the story, come up with a temporary title and change it later. I'd say it's really not all that imperative to have one right away.
Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I always think of the title before I write. It's just weird, I could be sitting down staring into space and suddenly an idea could creep into my mind instantly. One of my latest ones was "Tower of Shadows", I'm not sure if that has been done before but if it has been I will be more than glad to change it.

The whole story seemed to flow with from the title as well for me. SO I began to write it and soon had a 60000 novel written in under 2 weeks.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have this habit of thumbing through books, pointing my finger at a page, and picking out an interesting turn of phrase as a possible title---and then wrote the story. It produced some interesting results and a lot of bad stories too. (Also I've been haunted by some of the titles for, on and off, twenty-five years, trying to fit stories to them, and failing.)

I don't do this as much anymore...but I still have a lot of the lists of titles I made, and still occasionally fit one to some story I'm working on. And my books are all around in case I want to generate some new titles...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I know what I want to name a flash or short story before I've written one word.

In regards to novels, I haven't had one yet that had a name first. I have a couple in various stages of disrepair, and each one has a temporary name that mostly reflects the idea/setting/main (current) POV character, pretty much whatever was the primary inspiration. Not one name is set in stone. Titling can be easy or it can be hard, it's an individual thing. I advocate the advise, -Don't worry about names/titles until the answer comes to you, and even then, be open to change-

If the novel is sold, the publisher may request or even suggest a different title.

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a name for my WIP when I started it, but that name has become totally inappropriate now. At this point, the overall work is untitled, as are volumes 1 and 2. Volume 3, however, has a title which was inspired directly from a conversation that occurs between two characters in volume 1. At the time, it was so blatantly obvious that I needed to use that title for volume 3 that I immediately wrote it in at all the appropriate places.

On the other hand, my ideas file has several ideas that were inspired by spur-of-the-moment titles. Also, there are a few items in that file that are JUST titles, because I thought they sounded cool, and they suggested possible stories, though I hadn't thought of one yet.

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Totty472
Member # 2869

- posted      Profile for Totty472   Email Totty472         Edit/Delete Post 
Like a few other bods, i have a working title which may or may not be the end one. It's the same with character names, if i feel stuck i just give them a number, so that i don't lose the flow by getting hung up on a name.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second a lot of people here. I have a codeword so I know how to name my files, and that's about it. I do insist on having everyone of my character names before I start, though, because otherwise I'm stuck on visualizing them.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I start with characters before they have names, because I don't want to wait just because I can't find the perfect name. In that case, I either give them asterisks or name them (temporarily) after an archetypal character of similar nature. For a long time, my WIP had a temporary 'Obi-Wan' until the character grew enough that he didn't resemble everyone's favorite jedi anymore, and I thought of a name for him.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes the title inspires the story. Sometimes the story inspires the title. Sometimes the title is just tacked on because I have to call it something.
Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
LOOOOOOL
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.