Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Quickie bit of help

Author Topic: Quickie bit of help
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I've received the official confirmation from ASIM this morning for the sale of my short story "Scars of the Flame".
It goes something like this: "We'd like to publish your story in so-and-so...Assuming this is acceptable, the editor will be in touch with more details."

I'm clearly supposed to answer something. What? "This is acceptable, thank you very much"?
Sorry, I'm not English-born, so I manage the fiction-writing part, but the politeness bits go over my head.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to be able to help, but I've never had a letter like that.

I would guess that "Of course you can publish it, why do you think I submnitted the thing?" would NOT be an appropriate reply

Seriously, my suggestion would be to just respond: "Yes, I have no objections at all to your publishing "Scars of the Flame" in so-and-so, and I look forward to hearing from you further with more details."

And congratulations.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

I thought of the first option as well, but I think we writers are the only ones finding it funny
I'll go for the second choice. Thanks a lot for the help!

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!!!!

Yep, I was a bit nonplussed when I was asked something similar, and my first impulse was to say something like "Give me some time to think things over. OK, time's up, do it." but I restrained myself and just said "Yes, please do publish it." instead.

Strange, though.

And congrats again!!!

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible that ASIM accepts simultaneous submissions, in which case it's reasonable although very unlikely that an author may change his mind. So, yes, it's a reasonable question---although I wouldn't have asked, if I were them.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Odd statements like that may be prompted by prior problems. Here's a scenerio: Maybe somewhere along the line they published someone's story, and that person had simultaneously submitted to another publisher and gotten accepted at a higher rate, then came back and threw a hissy fit when ASIM had already published it.

It's like my friends who go rafting. When they bought a new raft, the instructions said: Do not eat raft.

You just KNOW there is some stupid person out there who tried to take them to court because they didn't warn people the raft wasn't edible.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited November 23, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't already replied, just pretend that the email said, "Congratulations!" and respond with, "Thank you, I'm delighted."
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

Thanks everyone ! Yeah, it occurred to me as I read the thing that they probably had prior problems with authors.
I settled for "I'll be glad to have my story published in ASIM#28 and I look forward to hearing from the editor."

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Congrats Silver,

I was about to submit to ASIM, but they are in a non-reading period from December 1 and my backside doesn't get into gear until January.

Well, well, well done!

pax

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.