Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Closing the Manufacturing plant where I work

Author Topic: Closing the Manufacturing plant where I work
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 
No this is not writing related, but I wanted to let folks on this side know, since I kind of know a few of you.

Got the news this morning. I work for Merck and the announcement was made this morning that our facility would be one of those that is closing. Just in time for Christmas too! They'll need to keep the place staffed till the end of '06, so there is a buffer, but still it stinks.

If anybody knows of any jobs for someone with a Biology major and a Chem minor then let me know. I've got 7+ years experience in a quality laboratory running LC, GC, AA, and various other wet chem testing. I'd like to stay here in Georgia, but if it comes down to feeding my family I'll do whatever I have to. Gonna go home tonight and update the old resume. Thanks for listening.

Crot

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calligrapher
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Calligrapher   Email Calligrapher         Edit/Delete Post 
They're closing the plant while there is worry about not having enough flu vaccine? Something doesn't compute.

Condolences about your job.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annabel Lee
Member # 2635

- posted      Profile for Annabel Lee   Email Annabel Lee         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, no advice or job opportunities, but major sympathy and happy thoughts for you.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's rough. Best of luck.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Go into pharmaceutical sales.

Tons of money and opportunity there, if you can handle it.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Mylan Technologies. I'm not sure if they have a location near you. But they always seem to be hiring and have employees all over the country. I am familar with them only bcause they are a customer of mine.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheli
Member # 3029

- posted      Profile for Cheli   Email Cheli         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if there are openings, but check into companies that do Chmical Abstracting....

example is Chemical Abstracts, Inc. in Columbus OH.

Part of the ACS and is non-profit. Just a thought. My husband works in the IT dept of an ACS company, and knows several folsk who have made the switch.

Sorry to hear this news

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck on finding a new job.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
check out oportunities as lab manager for environmental laboratories.

check out http://www.aerotek.com/

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited November 29, 2005).]

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Scientific Atlanta?

CDC?

Other drug companies?

Good luck, and know we're rooting for you, man!

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear about your job.

Take the opportunity to look all over the US and try to find that one job that looks the best for you and your family.

The hardest part will be deciding where to go. (I lived in Colorado, go there it's beautiful in the summer time. Snows like nobody's business in the winter though.)

Once again, sorry to hear about your job.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

- posted      Profile for Crotalus@work   Email Crotalus@work         Edit/Delete Post 

Will, I had thought of some of those, right now I'm still exploring all my options and trying to make contacts. But the CDC is on my radar.

Mike, that link is a very good resource. Thanks!

I'm coming out of the anger stage of my emotional reaction and am beginning to actually get excited about a change. The morale around here has been bad for a few years now and so, in many ways, I think this will all work out for the best. Thanks all for your supportive comments.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a similar situation but another industry. You might try checking out Phoenix and Tempe Arizona. There is a major effort in trying to build this area into a biotech hub. The local newspaper is the Arizona Republic. A google search on that will take you to their web site and eventually to the local classifieds.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

I haven't been posting very often lately, because I've been looking for a job. But I was never a heavy poster anyway. At any rate, I wanted to let the fine folks here know that I got a job offer. And I'm taking it.

I've been offered a position with Southern Nuclear. It's a subsidiary of Southern Company (Ga power is another subsidiary). I will be working as a Chemistry technician at their plant in Baxley, Ga. Actually it is about halfway between Vidalia and Baxley. Podunk, here we come.

We will be much closer to my family (about 30 miles away from my hometown) and about 80 miles from my wife's mother, so that is a positive. The only negatives are leaving the home and friends we have here in Albany, Georgia.

As for Hatrack, once things settle maybe I can post more. Good thing about the internet is that you can keep in contact from just about anywhere.

For now, I must go and rejoice.

Peace,
Crotalus

[This message has been edited by Crotalus@work (edited February 27, 2006).]

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! I'm sure that security will make writing easier.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool !!! I'm sure that will ease a lot from your mind.

Congrats !

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, congratulations. Here's to seeing you back around.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
fan-bloody-tastic
onya mate

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
good to hear from you, and it will be good to see you writing again

best

mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Baxley is some 30 miles from where I grew up. Next time I go visiting, I'll have to see if your'e there...!
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your life is on track. Congrats and good luck!

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited February 28, 2006).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus@work
Member # 2959

Thanks all! Will, once I get there I'll give you an address and phone number. That way, when you visit the home folks you can drop by. It would be great to meet you.

It will probably still be a while until all the dust settles, so I don't see me posting regularly anytime soon. I know that my tentative start date is march 27. For now I get to start on the fun stuff; tying up loose ends at work, getting the house ready to sell, and packing up to move.

Peace,
Crot

Ted Galacci
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for Ted Galacci           Edit/Delete Post 
One door closes and another opens...

Good luck.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.