Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Spirituality and religion in fiction (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spirituality and religion in fiction
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
There is something I've been wondering.

Why is it, when spirituality and religion are such a HUGE part of every culture on earth, do we find so few references to it in fiction? It is odd to me that something as basic to the human existence as spirituality and religion is rarely dealt with, particularly in science fiction and fantasy.

There are exceptions, of course, like "Dune." But for the most part writers seem to ignore their existence.

I'm curious as to why you, as a writer, choose to 1) incorporate spirituality/religion in your story, or 2) leave it out.

This question has been triggered by two things. 1) I just did a crit for someone in my writing group who DID use religion in his story, and it struck me as rare. And 2) I just watched a (very bad) movie last night that SHOULD have delved into this topic and ran from it like a scared rabbit.

The movie I watched... "Birth" starring Nicole Kidman for any of you who want to be wary of it... revolved around a 10 year old boy who claims to be the reincarnation of Kidman's dead husband. Not once in the movie did the characters mention a religious belief when discussing the plausibility of this boy's claim. (The movie degenerated into a pretty creepy portrayal of a woman who becomes willing to allow a 10 year old boy to have a husband's privilege, if you know what I mean. The movie was bad on several other levels, too...IMHO.)

But back to the topic at hand... other than the opening voice-over of the soon-to-be-dead husband who states he doesn't BELIEVE in reincarnation, there was no mention whatsoever by any character of it being a spiritual/religious question.

I want to know why? It would have enriched the dialog. (heck, allowing the characters to talk instead of pout pensively might have enriched the dialog).

But the point remains, writers tend to shy away from portraying the influence of spirituality in stories. It makes no more sense to me than ignoring sexual attraction, or greed and lust, or any of the other plethora of human motives.

I'm just curious: Why?

I'll state right now that I hope any discussion about this topic can remain polite and non-judgemental. The intention is not to explore whether religion and spirituality are right or wrong, the intention is to explore the question of why these influential facets of human culture rarely warrant even a brief mention in fiction?

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited November 28, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I will strongly second Elan's disclaimer. There's a difference between debate and discussion; this forum is for the latter. If you want to debate, take it outside, so to speak.

Elan, this is a very interesting topic. The MC of my huge, obsessive WIP is highly influenced by spirituality. First, there is the belief system of her native culture, from which she is displaced. She clings to the memory of her original beliefs, and they shape her in a large way. Then there is the spirituality of the culture of which she later becomes a part. Somewhere in the middle I even treat how she is affected when she gives up on faith for a time.

Why did I include it? Perhaps this is a handicap of mine, but I just can't see how a person can live without spirituality. I look around me every day and am baffled by this. How can someone not seek something more beyond their own self? I'm sure I feel this way because my own faith goes beyond just 'beliefs', and is so very intrinsically a part of my daily life.

Maybe when I become a very good writer I'll be able to write characters who don't have spirituality, but until then I can only write what I know.

[This message has been edited by sojoyful (edited November 28, 2005).]

Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not sure that there isn't more than you're seeing at first glance. For example, there's the whole genre of Christian fiction. Many books I've read have some element of spirituality in them, and any fantaqsy with clerical magic is devoting a lot of time to those aspects as well. That said, I bet it's the editors and publishers who are screening out much of it.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
I think OSC touched on this in one of his introductions Maps In A Mirror, how SF can explore religious issues, even better than fantasty were the supernormal is a given. I don't remember his exact comments, but it related to how SF explored the unknown and thus could address issues without directly stating them. I think it's more powerful that way and universal.

Even in Dune, we never really delved into what Zensunni believed, just scetchy details. And Navichristianity was even a bigger blank. I guess we delve more into the BG for all thier powers are at thier heart agnostic, and who's purpose is for some fuzzy goal involving bring humankind to maturity. We see the effects religion has on people, sometimes positive, more often negative, but never delve into what they really believe and how that translates.

Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

- posted      Profile for pantros   Email pantros         Edit/Delete Post 
Most fantasy will touch on religion in one form or another. Either by divine presences, paganistic religions or by orders reminiscent of religions on Earth.

Science Fiction on the other hand does seem to lean towards aetheism or at least agnosticism.

Spirituality, in some form, is such a great tool to use to motivate characters or people that I would not write a novel without using it.

If nothing else it gives me, the writer, a chance to poke fun at aspects of earth bound religions without having anyone actually be offended since it doesn't really target anything. It just lets me give people something to think about without immediately kicking in the judgemental.

However, I prefer my SF with religion. Firefly/Serenity still had it even if Star Trek never really embraced it beyong an aspect of minor cultures usually defined by a super-culture pretending to be gods.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I never have thought about writing religion into my stories. It's something that I don't like to discuss about on any level as I am a heavy aethiest and dislike religion, yet I don't mind being around those that are religious.

I never want to include religion into my story as I usually have a tendency to somehow make fun of a certain religion. I feel that religion in fantasy, the major category I write, isnt really needed. Yes there are times when I feel that if I want to make a religions I will base it off some of our own worlds finest religions.

So all in all, I say I don't write about religion, or spirituality for that matter, too much, but it depends on the aspect I'm trying to write.

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
These stories don't discuss politics either.
Another basic element of all human societies.

Just because a reader doesn't recognise the spirituality in a piece doesn't mean it isn't there.

Consider the difference between The Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings both firmly rooted in Christian ideas but one is more overt. Many people just don't see it in either.

I guess how much I put in depends on story imperatives. Sometimes it will detract from the story and not help it at all. Sometimes it will help. Done poorly it could turn the Alien movies into Touched by an Angel--in Space.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 28, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our culture has played a large role in influincing this trend. For the past few decades the whole politically correct thing has been such a big deal that many writers have probably been afraid to deal with it (like the movie you mentioned).

However, having just finished a book and several articles on "Generation Y" which touch on the rise in spirituality in the last few years, I think this trend is going to be reversing itself. Questions of the spiritual are something people will have to deal with at some point in their life, and I think after a time of avoiding it for fear of offending or forcing beliefs on others, the need to address those questions is growing. Movies are already catching onto this and becoming much more spiritual in nature. I think writing will go there, too (And perhaps it already is, at least in part, with books like The Five People You Meet in Heaven or The Da Vinci Code *gag*)

Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I would argue that fantasy regularly portrays magic as a spiritual element. Usually magic is a talent people have, like the ability to sing or cook or hunt or fight. It's rarely shown as a facet of the Divine.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

I think that may be splitting hairs.

The post asked about spirituality and religion.
Yes, many fantasy stories talk about spirituality and include magic, after all a lot of people see them as the same thing.

What it seems like you are asking is: why is religious observance less prominent in these books?

You may ask the same of Science Fiction rather than fantasy and get just as interesting an insight.

Edit to remove definitive statement in favour of gentler, more accurate one.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited November 28, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brecca's Sister
Member # 2925

- posted      Profile for Brecca's Sister   Email Brecca's Sister         Edit/Delete Post 
Most people I know (at least the fantasy readers) read to take a break from this world. They already have religeon of some sort being bombarded on them all day, they don't need it in books. Christopher Paolini avioded it specifically in his books, even going to the lenght of not naming his characters after bible names (except the witch Angela who was named after his sister). This doesn't go with everybody and in that I agree with theophileo. Our culture does look like it is getting tired of dancing around this topic and rebelling against it.

In George R. R. Martin's new saga he uses religeon as a cultrual nesseccity (which it is-aitheism can be argued as a religeon) but he never dleves into or starts making allegorical story lines. Those kind of story lines have been hashed over since the sixteenth century and we really don't need anymore. Unless they're well done.

Author's should use religion where it naturally would reside, but sometimes they don't and we still get pretty good stories. ANd sometimes not.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojoyful
Member # 2997

- posted      Profile for sojoyful   Email sojoyful         Edit/Delete Post 
It just occurred to me that it isn't always a conscious decision to include or exclude religion. When you are developing a character, their personality and characteristics come out, and sometimes spirituality is just part of their character, without you thinking about putting it in or leaving it out. That's how it was for me - it just showed up. Then I could trace it back to its probable origins.
Posts: 470 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think there's less spirituality and less religion in literature because, by and large, writers aren't spiritual or religious people. It's hard to write about something if the writer doesn't have it in him to write about. (I include myself in this nonreligous and nonspiritual group, by the way.)

Also I see it as more of a 20th / 21st century development than at times before then, part of the so-called Decline of Western Civilization.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I think there's less spirituality and less religion in literature because, by and large, writers aren't spiritual or religious people.

Do you really think that? That's a ridiculous generalization with no basis in any kind of truth. Where did you come up with that?

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited November 29, 2005).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

If nothing else, I usually include spirituality when my characters need to swear.

Posts: 370 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a "religious or spiritual" person, but a number of my novels have very strong religious elements in them. I try and deal with the dichotomies between personal and instituionalised religion (I suspect I have a personal bias here, but then again, how many authors don't, about something or other?). Themes of redemption, justification and moral/ethical dilemmas are fairly common in much fiction, but they are rarely put into a directly religious context.

I suspect one reason for this is that any overt portrayal of religion risks being a "turn-off" for a lot of people. I'm not qualified to discuss the US market in detail (I notice Mike mentions the "Christian market", and I have seen some evidience that it's growing in the US - but so far as I can tell, it barely exists elsewhere), but here in the UK, many people - even those who avow their own Christianity -will literlly cross the road and pass by on the other side to avoid any overt protrayal of it. If it's seen as a turn-off by publishers, than they aren't likely to select overtly religious fiction.

Additionally, religion is a matter of faith. I know many people who genuinely and completely believe that they have been "touched by"/spoken to God; just as I know many people who believ they are utterly mistaken (and doubtless there are some people - I'm not aware of knowing any - who believe that one person's "God" is actually Satan, delusing them from the true path). Now I can't ever truly see what someone who has been "touched by God" has experienced, so I have to make my own judgements. But as an author, you're (basically) trying to make your readers experience what your character is experiencing. I suspect I would feel VERY uncomfortable reading a book in which the MC really did have a divine revelation (indeed, I remember critting a short story which seemed to have this as the ending, and I found it a very difficult one to comment on dispassionately).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that it all depends on what you call religion, and what you call a cult.( i am sorry if I have merely repeated what someone else said. i did not have the attention span or patience to read all the posts.) In one of my stories, their is a belief that humans where once more powerful than they are now. the book is placed in the future, but the people have mideivil tech. would the group of believers of the "golden age" be a religion, or a cult?
Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Dune wasn't that sketchy if you are familiar with both Islam and Taoism already. Kind of like how you won't learn anything about Mormonism from reading the Alvin Maker books unless you already know a fair amount about it. Though I have to say that while I found many of Herberts philosophical epigrams interesting at the time, none have really stuck with me as words to live by with the exception of the litany on fear, which I was familiar with from before that. But that gets into debating the points...

I don't really read widely, but what I do tends to be very spiritual in nature. Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Card, Lewis. There is spiritual stuff out there if that is what you are looking for.

It may be the simple fact that publishing is a marketplace and you can't serve God and Mammon. Those who are writing to the marketplace (which many authors do- no matter how we may say one can't and shouldn't). I've heard that Stephen King has a form of spirituality, but I haven't really been curious enough about it to look closer. Harry Potter is certainly spirituality of a form.

I do recall reading a book in 7th grade about a girl going through her parent's divorce and I didn't find out till near the end that she was skeptical of religion and I felt really cheated by that. In the same sense that I feel it was wrong for that author to recruit my sympathies toward their lack of belief, I do think the believing author has to be honest with readers about where their work is going.

Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

I can understand why authors don't opt to moralize or preach through their writings. It DOES cut back on your audience. I'm not taking into account the Christian fiction market with my generalizations; the demographics for that genre are obviously already skewed. No, I'm talking fantasy and science fiction.

But it just seems to me to be a bit odd that spirituality, as a component of the human existance, is so noticeably absent as a human trait in fiction.

My theory is that authors are afraid of the topic. While they tackle sex and profanity with gusto, they shy away from delving into the divine as a topic. Perhaps it's because religions tend to draw lines in the sand and you instantly alienate yourself from readers if you aren't standing on someone else's turf.

A Gallup poll taken in May 2004 says that 90% of adults believe in God.
http://www.pollingreport.com/religion.htm

I find it intriguing that so many people believe in some sort of divine power, yet so few writers integrate this human belief into their writing. It's sort of like the elephant in the living room. It's there, people are aware of it, yet no one talks about it in fiction. Odd, since (in the US at least), religion has become such a lightning rod for politics.

It's not the lack of sermonizing that bothers me. In fact, I myself gag when someone shakes a finger and moralizes at me.

No, I'm bothered by the fact that there is a huge chunk of the human existance that is largely ignored in entertainment, and no one seems to notice it isn't even there.

Writers seem to have no problems delving into the deepest depravity of the human condition. But the divine seems to frighten us. To quote Marianne Williamson:

quote:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us.

Just food for thought.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did say "by and large." There are always exceptions. And spirituality isn't necessarily something worn on one's sleeve. But most (not all) of the writers I've read show little or no interest in religion or spirituality (except for some who choose to mock one or both).

And most (not all) memoirs or biographies or personal accoutns by / about / from writers generally don't bring up either subject at length. I would assume that (a) they don't want to talk about it, or (b) they don't have it. Since assumption (b) is the easier of the two to make, it's the operating assumption I work with.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

people just don't discuss religion among people who do not share their faith.

For the most partm, the only time you will see religion in writing is when a)its fantasy fiction and the gods are characters too or b)historical fiction with realistic views of the historical church.

Any writer who includes religion in any other way knows that they risk alienating people who don't respect other faiths. But, then again, some writers will clearly alienate said people and enjoy doing so. Now, getting a publisher to do it...

The main reason you don't see religion in books is people are afraid to offend.

I will rarely discuss my personal religeous beliefs, but I will write about people of any faith that I have studied and a few that I just made up. Religion often fills a needed character motivation when a rational motivation would take too long to explain.

Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 

I seem to be in a minority here, perhaps because of the authors I choose to read or because of my liberal definition of spirituality, but a majority of the fantasy I read does contain spirituality and a fair amount of it involves religion.
It seems to me that it is hard to develop a realistic character or culture without some reference to spirituality or the lack of it --and I do see the lack of organized religion as a strong influence in a story. I don’t mean to say that a writer should hit the reader on the head with religion, in fact quite the opposite; to me the underlying spirituality of a story should be natural and subtle.
Some of the stories I write are historic fantasy, and being unintentionally offence is something that has been brought to my attention thanks to critiques I have received. I learned that even when I research a religion it helps to have a reader who is of that faith critique my story and red flag problems.
Even when my story doesn’t deal with an established religion, and when I don’t intend a story to be spiritual in nature, I find it simply appears as an undercurrent because I cannot develop a character in a spiritual vacuum. To me, in reading or writing, religion and/or spirituality show differences and create conflict between characters.
I will grant that magic and modern established religions are rarely combined into one unit-- then again there is magic realism.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
How often do you talk about your religion/spirituality? How often does it significantly affect the things you do? That is basically about how often it should occur in fiction if we are being true to our characters.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
One problem for me is avoiding deus ex machina. I still don't really know how to put God in a story without this risk. How did Lewis do it in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? You could say it was Aslan's story . . . but he wasn't a protagonist we identified with.

Once when I was much less prolific I tallied up the stories I'd written in terms of what they were really about. I found that few of them were about God or relating to him (but some were). For me it may just be that if God shows up center stage, the story is now about him, and I don't feel up to the task!

Also I want to interest lots of readers, and some have a strong bias against religious expression and won't read.

I'm getting better at having characters in very foreign cultures to me (Maya, say), speak from their religious perspective. I still expect a violently negative reaction if my Christian characters do the same thing. Sometimes I get it. I offended a critiquer by having a Catholic character at a Catholic university identify "spirituality" with Christ.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited November 30, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kickle and yanos both stated the way I feel about religion and sprituality in fiction. I don't make all my decisions in life based upon spirituality or religion, at least not on a conscious level. Nor do I sit around chatting about it at length. I think it would be false to portray that in a fantasy or sci-fi setting, unless the main focus characters were futuristic space-priests or ancient Clerics.

I do think that in a fantasy setting (most of the time) it is an implied facet of that particular world. Why? because it is a facet of our particular world. We need to make our fictional fantasy world seem as real as possible, in order to suspend disbelief. So sprituality is lingering in the background all the time. Fantasy worlds usually have gods. People pray, sacrifice, draw wisdom and power, pervert the truth, destroy civilizations, etc... all in the name of sprituality and religion. It is the same in our life, so it must be in fiction, to be well rounded and believable. Again, it doesn't need to be in the forefront of the story line, but believe me it is usually there. If it isn't, the writer is missing out on some very interesting plotlines. Oh the conflicts religion creates! It's a family sized barrel o' monkeys! Just remember it is your character you are creating, keep your personal beliefs out of theirs, (if that is possible) and you should be fine.

Oh, and as to why writers might not want dwell on the subject of sprituality and religion in fiction? Well, I believe that it is very hard to keep your personal beliefs and opinions out of your writing. Perhaps too hard at some points in a story. So rather than broach the subject they just leave it out. It is important to try and create a character that is in itself not a reflection of you. Or something like that...

[This message has been edited by TruHero (edited November 30, 2005).]

Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've got to add that the vast bulk of fiction I've read that brings up religion usually brings it up to, in some way, make fun of it. Sometimes it's for humor, sometime it's to show contempt, sometimes it's to demonstrate a political point of view. Some aspects of religion certainly deserve this attitude, but as a whole it hardly deserves this kind of treatment.

I would have thought "Dune" and its sequels worked this kind of take on religion and spirituality...though I admit I've only read, oh, the first five books I think, and those some years ago when I was less attuned to things like this. (If the recent biography of Frank Herbert is any guide, he does seem to be one of the few authors I've run across who have a spiritual side.)

lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel that religion and beliefs should only come up if they are a natural part of the story. They shouldn't be forced in or forced out.

My work in progress deals heavily in religion, since the MC is a spiritual leader of her people. It is a natural part of the story. Any story with this character would have to deal in religion, because that is such a strong part of her.

My next WIP (possibly my next one, anyway), will deal with death and the 'soul', so it will probably touch on religion here and there. However, that isn't the subject, so it won't be so strongly present.

I think it is valuable to be aware of the fact that most people are touched by religion in their lives, at some point. Even people who seem very non-religious have some history of it or with it, if you can get them to talk about it. Most people have seen at least some deaths, births, marriages, divorces, etc. and those things tend to prompt spiritual feelings, even deep ones that are never expressed. They often have strong feelings, too. The question of if they come up in any story, depends on the character and the story.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samhaine3
Member # 3023

- posted      Profile for samhaine3   Email samhaine3         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to offend anyone, I do talk about my religion. No, I don't just bring it up, and, no, neither would my characters. But the idea of faith being put aside in times of action, horror, or the beautific in a story seems odd to me too. Many writers have had some sort of belief of God place within their stories.

C.S. Lewis. Fantasy-Chronicles of Narnia, Science Fiction-Space Trilogy, especially his Screwtape Letters delved right in.

Stephen R. Lawhead. The Pendragon Cycle, many characters discussing not only the druid beliefs but also christianity. Been years since I read him.

Piers Anthony. Incantations of Immortality, Ok, so it was a strange series, but in its way it touch on different aspects of peoples faiths.

Phillip Pullman, His Dark Materials Series, loaded with imagery that held his beliefs and crushed the christian faith.

Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas, Life Expectancy, especially The Taking. All of his books have some aspects of Koontz's connection to Catholism. I know. And yes I read Dean Koontz.

OSC. Nuff said.

Every Anime that has the world as Gia, and that's a lot.

Even Issac Asimov made a robot into God.

Yes, sometimes it's subtle. Unfortunately, many stories seem to completely leave it out. Faith is a part of human culture and should be put in stories. cya, Sam

Ps. Stephen King, Dark Tower Series. Crimson King, Green Man, hell, even his Ka's.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rustafarianblackpolarbear
Member # 2638

- posted      Profile for rustafarianblackpolarbear   Email rustafarianblackpolarbear         Edit/Delete Post 
i think the majority of science fiction that avoids religion is where the main character is a scientist, historian, lawyer, or just something where religion doesn't affect their career. Isaac Asimov's entire Foundation series is based around a religion the Foundationists made up to take over the Fringe galaxys. Alas, it's one the creators themselves don't actually believe in, but it still touches heavily on ideas of religion and politics.

I also believe writers who themselves are religious are more likely to try to avoid having religious elements. That is, out of fear, or just being careful, not to let their own beliefs drive their plot too much. Then there's what OSC has said many times about a writers subconscious beliefs will automatically come out in their work, whether they want it to or not. I guess, if what you say is true, most theist sci-fi writers don't feel strongly enough about their own religion for this to happen.

Posts: 136 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the ever-present conflict between science and religion?

For science to have value, then you need only one belief: cause-and-effect. If X and Y happen then Z must happen. Science is our means of exploring all the causes and all the effects that make the Universe tick.

Sciece and religion get along fine until you insert a supernatural force that transcends cause and effect. If the omnipotent will of God can change the rules at any moment, then why bother to study anything about the Universe?

Because science fiction has a great big SCIENCE in its name, the religions we see portrayed therein are often muted, less than omnipotent faiths. Consider Dune or Star Wars. Their religions don not transcend cause-and-effect. There are components of faith, redemption, and even the supernatural, but no omnipotence.

The only sci-fi story* I can recall that dealt with omnipotence was the Hitchiker's Guide. In it, the omnipotent God was only around for about one paragraph. Keeping Him in the story longer would be a challenge for any writer.

*considering its plot structure, the term "story" barely applies to the Hitchiker's Guide.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winship
Member # 2947

- posted      Profile for Winship   Email Winship         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to put my two cents in, I think there is a couple of reason that sci-fi is light on religion and spirituality.

The first thing that comes to my mind is the fact that most sci-fi completely contradicts the major religions. Take the TV show Stargate for example. It regularly shows the origin of man as an offshoot of a more advance race, a race that has since ascended to become god-like.

Evolution plays a large roll in a good chunk of sci-fi, if not the idea of ape becoming man but how man will/can evolve in to something greater. Star Trek the Next Generation is great example on how man can become better and full fill its destiny.

When aliens are through into the mix, I have only seen a couple of books approach the subject of how do these new beings fit in to the concept of God. Most stories throw out even referring to God, but have no problem diving in to the religious beliefs of the aliens. The religion of the aliens usually ends up being the major source of conflict.

The last thing on my mind has been touch upon several times already and I think is a major reason the major religions are rarely referred to directly. No writer wants to offend his or her readers. I have to admit I threw away a book that I felt was throwing another religion in my face and had to take a break from my fav author when he kept bashing my beliefs (I had finished reading six books of his in a row).

As for what I do, I try to take the approach of Lewis and Tolkin in my sci-fi stories. I stay away from aliens and only use micro evolution concepts.

I hope this wasn't too much of a ramble on my part.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

What about a story of aliens on a pilgrimage to find the holy world upon which their God--whose bodily form they approximate--was murdered.

I wonder where their quest would lead them? Be cool if they found the world but couldn't stand the people.

Edit: heh heh : how to extract the divine from the the earthly Gloria in Altissimis Genome

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited December 01, 2005).]

samhaine3
Member # 3023

- posted      Profile for samhaine3   Email samhaine3         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the writers that you don't see their subliminal beliefs in their stories don't actually have those beliefs, or maybe you, as the reader, don't see the subliminal effects because you don't have those same beliefs. If a writer, like F. Paul Wilson did in "Midnight Mass", should put in his short story about how the communion wafers should shine like a light to vampires and burn them, would you know that it's because Catholics believe that the Eucharist becomes the actual blood and body of Jesus (transubstantiation), or would you believe that it was just something else that could hurt vampires. If you don't know their beliefs, it would be hard for someone of another faith to see what the writer "accidently" put in there. cya, Sam
Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The above story reminds me of another: the story of Niels Bohr (I believe) and a lucky horseshoe. A visitor once noticed a horseshoe above his door, and asked, in some astonishment, if Bohr actually believed good luck would come from it. Bohr replied, along the lines of, "Certainly not! I have been told it will bring me good luck whether I believe in it or not."
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reminded of a sci-fi story in which a deeply spiritual seeker finally persuaded an alien to tell him why they would not allow humans to participate in their religion, and was told that souls were measureable and that humans had none.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali
Member # 2983

- posted      Profile for Cali   Email Cali         Edit/Delete Post 
Writer's Digest had Spirituality and writing as the topic of one of their Yearbook magazines for November.

For some their belief system enters into their writings even if it is not intentional. It happened to me and at the time I was very active in my chosen religion, and I made the discovery that when you are involved like I was, your faith tends to weave itself into all of your life.

Just the other day one of the major netwrorks carried a news story about Narnia and Faith in the movies. My aunt thought I was insane when I told her that Narnia is Christian and very much so. She thought it was just fantasy, and so did I until I took a college home study course on the Bible as Literature, and reading C.S. Lewis was part of the course.

Madeleine Lengle's books are also Christian Fiction, but it is not that ovious. Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote books that were strongly Pagan when she was practicing Wicca.

quote:
How often do you talk about your religion/spirituality? How often does it significantly affect the things you do? That is basically about how often it should occur in fiction if we are being true to our characters.

Personally I talk about mine a good deal when I am with others that are interested. I live with family that is not at all pleased that I don't follow their way of belief . For me it affects everything from food, to speech, to dress, to tv and books.

As far as characters go, it depends on the market. If you are writing for people envolved in a particular Faith, then you need to make sure the characters are true to that Faith.

My fantsy novel has religion as a strong part of the plot as nearly everyone in it is part of an upper class that fated them to be the priesthood of that world. The gods, when they appear, are very human, including the god that is evil.

I based the religion on Paganism, but I also added some twists so that this is not a outright pagan tale.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC tried to keep his beliefs out of his stories when he first started selling his SF, and he quit trying when he found out that people were detecting it anyway.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Next point: everything that is in a story should fight for the right to be there. If the religious beliefs of the characters are not important to the story, then they should only be included if they help to deepen the characterization.

I think there are probably many authors who leave out religion because they don't think it's relevant to the story they are telling and if they were to include it, it would be perceived as gratuitous.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Third point: in the movie SIGNS (which was rather poor SF per se, but not bad if you realized that the M. was using science fiction as a metaphor and not as the purpose of the movie), Mel Gibson's character says at one point that there are two kinds of people in the world: those who believe someone is out there helping us through things and those who believe we are on our own.

Writers who belong to the first group will be more likely to include in some way, shape, or form, something that could be considered of a religious nature, whether they intend it to be there or not. Writers who belong to the second group will not be likely to.

A goodly number of the SF writers I know seem to belong to the second group, and some have even indicated that this is why they write SF--because to them it is about a universe in which we are on our own, and they like showing that we can manage pretty well that way*.

I haven't heard much one way or the other on the subject from most of the fantasy writers I know.

* Some of those same writers have also indicated that they think fantasy is about a universe in which there IS someone out there helping us out, and that horror is about a universe in which we are not only on our own, but someone or something out there is actively against us.

sry
Member # 3052

- posted      Profile for sry   Email sry         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan,

This is a really good question but I think you need to read a bit more broadly. I'm not one to talk. I am a very finicky reader, blindering myself into SF and maybe a baker's dozen of authors BUT, I read non-fiction on how to write and oftentimes (uhh, 100% of the time?) the how-to author will mention this or that book as an example of this or that idea.

I have no recollection now of who it was (maybe OSC, since I like his how-to stuff ;-) might also have been over at Baen's Bar) nor the name of the author referenced but I do recall the reference itself. There was a discussion of a culture built (perhaps in a series of stories?) where women were living and breeding without men. How exactly? Yes, they were human but well, I haven't read the book(s) so I can't go into detail. The point was, in reference to your question, this female culture had developed a whole religion around or on top of their social structure to accommodate their breeding practices.

The religion was extremely sophisticated in its development and presentation, according to the how-to author (or whoever it was that told me about this, somewhere around a month ago) The author went to great pains, in fact, to develop and EVOLVE the religion across stories (I'm 99% positive it was a series author, maybe McCaffrey or LeGuin?)

Fantasy, more than straight SF, does definitely incorporate religion as a pre-existing facet of human culture and society, reflecting it both as one of the "evils" and as one of the "great gifts" we, humankind, take with us wherever we go, which light depending on the author's opinion, I suppose.

A second reason I think SF writers might shy away from adding religion to their human-based environments is the same reason (I believe) many gloss over or avoid sex. It's uncomfortable for them, the Author, to expose their own feelings on the subject to a deep enough level as to be useful to the story. After all, exposing one's most intimiate feelings and thoughts is a scary prospect. Humans have serious emotional responses to both sex and religion, neither of which is exclusively an emotional "activity." Putting characters through the motions of religious liturgy really wouldn't work well, would it? We'd have to know how the character FELT about the religious practice--just as we want to FEEL a character's lust or lack thereof to believe in a sex scene. For a religion to work as an emotional hook, the Author her/himself needs to be willing to expose her/his religion to others. That security is not as common as we'd like to think. We are, after all, still a young species and when it comes to religion...uh, how many of them do we have on this planet? I'm tempted to say "as many as there are people" at times. Without a "universal" understanding of what "religion is" it's hard to write religious feelings to a "generic" audience.

That's my take anyway. One of my pieces in F&F, On Second Thought, is a faith walk story, by the way. The protag does not believe in G-d (understatement) when he starts out and has taken that "leap of faith" by the end of the book. The faith is Judiaism (because I'm Jewish) and it took my emigrating to Israel before I was willing to admit I really did feel this way about the whole thing. I am NOT an observant or religious Jew, even today. But I had to "live in the middle of it" to feel what it was INSIDE MYSELF that my story needed to work.

-sry
Sarah R. Yoffa
http://books.sarahryoffa.com/
books@sarahryoffa.com

Posts: 33 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arcanist
Member # 3049

- posted      Profile for arcanist   Email arcanist         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if someone already said something along these lines, I read a little over half of the posts, but here's my opinion. This is my opinion; I don't claim to know why authors shy away from this subject.
First off is drive. A few people in this post have already said that a faith in some higher power can serve as motivation for a character. Honestly, this really just seems like a copout to me. "Hey Errantknigt#23, why do you fight for the greater good?" "'Cuz god said I'm spose'ta."
I think Alan Dershowitz said it best in a 2000 debate. "Indeed, it is my contention that a truly moral person, who acts morally--not out of fear of damnation or out of promise of divine reward, but because it's the right thing--if anything, is more moral. More moral. The atheist or the agnostic who throws himself in front of an oncoming bus to save a child, knowing that there is no eternal promise, that there is nothing but the grave that awaits him, is more moral."
Plus, and I think someone did say this, I just don't think it neccisarily comes up a lot of the time. If your character is going to slay the evil dragon emperor, why have him discussing his god? Sure, he may have his own religious beliefs, but why do those need to come into play?
More than anything I think it's that religion used to be very prominent in fantasy, in the same way that, say, air was. A majority of the writing world was Catholic, so in their fantasy everyone just kind of accepted that 'oh, this is the right way. This god's correct. Of course.' Basically, people question the divine more than they used to, not that they didn't, just more so today. A writer wants to present an unbiased look at things, not become a religious soapbox spewing his own beliefs through his characters. It's assinine.
I think no matter what you do, someone's going to get pissed off, so shying away from religion isn't done so much out of fear, just the best way to piss the least amount of people off.
But that's just one little bear's opinion.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Choose thy God, and serve well.

What God we choose tells almost as much about us as the quality of our service. Different things, to be sure.

That's the one strong point of fantasy, you can make up whatever kind of gods you like, and then have your characters pick and choose which ones to serve and how diligently. If someone is pretending to serve one god but secretly serves another, it's usually a conscious thing rather than the more oblige self(?)-deception you see in real life.

As KDW has mentioned, for some people "Science" or "Humanity" or whatever stands in for "God" in the value systems of some writers and characters. I would like to point out that I have a constant wrestle with the temptations of self-worship, and while I doubt there are many humans with as much reason to worship their selves, I still think it likely that it is a common temptation.

Particularly among those who claim to be in the service of "Humanity" or somesuch. At least I don't abstract the issue with such bland hypocrisy, when I consider whether I should go ahead and serve myself.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arcanist
Member # 3049

- posted      Profile for arcanist   Email arcanist         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Survivor, not to be rude but...what the hell are you talking about? Serving humanity is self-worship? what? All I'm saying is a hero doesn't need a god as motivation to be a hero; it's enough to do the right thing because it's the right thing. I know a police officer who is an atheist; he does his job for humanity. Is he self-worshipping? What the hell are you talking about?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

arcanist, Survivor isn't human, so he tends to take an outsider's view of things humans do.
Survivor
Member # 213

In particular anything that smacks of irrational idealization of the inherent value of humanity as such. I think that even most humans, when they look at it with a modicum of objective rationality, realize that it's pretty hard to defend the notion that humans are really so great, in and of themselves. That's why so many look for something higher and better, whether or not other people suspect those things of being made up

I don't really know if I'd have had a similar longing to meet something higher and better than myself if I hadn't already done so. As it is, sometimes I sense a wish within myself that I hadn't already met such an entity, so that I could act as if I were the greatest being I knew to exist. Thus far, I have never really indulged the longing to not have met such a being so that I could seriously look for something greater than myself, so maybe it's disingenuous to say I don't know whether I would do something like that if the situation were so.

On a moderately unrelated note, your friend sounds tasty, it might be better if we...er, don't do lunch anytime soon

Crossthreading, I have no idea why it is sometimes so hard for me to pursuade people I'm quite evil.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantros
Member # 3237

quote:

I don't really know if I'd have had a similar longing to meet something higher and better than myself if I hadn't already done so. As it is, sometimes I sense a wish within myself that I hadn't already met such an entity, so that I could act as if I were the greatest being I knew to exist. Thus far, I have never really indulged the longing to not have met such a being so that I could seriously look for something greater than myself, so maybe it's disingenuous to say I don't know whether I would do something like that if the situation were so.

Everytime I think I met someone like that, I realize their imperfections are not as perfect as mine and I have to keep looking.

hoptoad
Member # 2145

Survivor,
I believe you are evil...
And if I remember correctly, so did about two thirds of the host of heaven.

Hope that helps.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
The Narnia movie has me rethinking this. While keeping much of the dialog about Aslan, the movie has Aslan as just a character, a sort of general, while the book has him as a god.

I think the film took out all the spirituality, and left us with nothing relating to Aslan but plot points. Now I have to define "spirituality." Maybe it's the sense that someone is so delightful he deserves worshipping. In this case.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Spirituality is simply acknowledging that you have a spiritual nature with spiritual needs distinct from your physical body with its physical needs. You can have "good" spirituality and "evil" spirituality.

As for the other third of the host of heaven, I'm pretty sure they also believed I was evil.

in_defiance22
Member # 2344

- posted      Profile for in_defiance22   Email in_defiance22         Edit/Delete Post 
Its a fad, when religion becomes prominent in peoples minds, it is written by the authors of that time. If the opposite is true, then it isn't written about. It's all about what is in 'style' at the moment.

IMHO

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.