Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » NaNo is done, how did you do?

Author Topic: NaNo is done, how did you do?
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in Japan it's over .

How did you guys do? I didn't do it this year, monsly because the internal editor would kill me if I did.

Maybe next year,

BUT, how did you guys do? Who finished? Are you happy about your novel? Is it good? Will you do it next year? Any advice?

Ronnie

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I went into hospital on the 26th so I couldnt complete my work. But I honestly feel for the 6 days of writing I actually did, I signed up on the 11th finished on the 17th, I got 21k+ words done, not a bad effort by me if I do say so myself.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nimnix
Member # 2937

- posted      Profile for nimnix           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no excuse, I didn't finish. Maybe if I'd started planning earlier than Nov. 1st, I might have done it.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KatFeete
Member # 2161

- posted      Profile for KatFeete   Email KatFeete         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't finish and, though there's a day left, won't - my wordcount is 16K. This does not trouble me. I did NaNo mostly because I happened to be starting the novel on November 1st anyway (having finally tied up the edits for my last novel) and it seemed fun even if I had no realistic expectation of finishing. Not with six-day workweeks, ten-hour workdays, and housework, cleaning, and that sleep stuff to slow me down. *grin*

I wrote every day of the month save two. I got sixteen thousand words done. I established a regular writing schedule and turned it into a habit. I didn't "win", but in my book I sure came out ahead.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! You scared me into double checking my calendar. I'm not quite there, but should be by midnight my time tomorrow. Lord-willin' and the crick don't rise, as I'm sure they used to say somewhere far away from everywhere.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AaronAndy
Member # 2763

- posted      Profile for AaronAndy   Email AaronAndy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at about 34,000 I think. Unless I go on some sort of super magical writing marathon tomorrow, I won't win. Nevertheless, this story surpasses my old WIP to become the longest single story I've written to date (and in one month no less). I'd definitely say that winner or not I came off of this a better writter than I started as.

I'm planning to win for real in 2006.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thieftess
Member # 1683

- posted      Profile for Thieftess   Email Thieftess         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, by tonight I expect I will hit the NaNo halfway mark...which actually I'm quite proud of. The novel is coherent and I'm having a blast writing it -- I would still like to finish it by the end of the year, so I'm going to keep on truckin'.

Considering I held down a full time job, was in the middle of copyediting two books and in the process of editing the one my partner is writing (AS he writes it), got really sick right before Thanksgiving, and still haven't sold my stupid ex-boyfriend's car...you know, all that life stuff...I think I did okay.

And Minister: it's "God willing and the Creek don't rise." The reference is to the Native Americans. It's a good story -- google it sometime.

~Alethea

Posts: 280 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 6400 words to go, and eighteen hours in which to write 'em.

I'd feel optimistic, if only I could stop falling asleep in front of my computer.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JmariC
Member # 2698

- posted      Profile for JmariC   Email JmariC         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I hit the 50k mark on Monday.
It was a fun and wild ride.

Since I went into this with no plot, characters or world development I must say I am amazed at how easy it was.

I was planning on copiuos usage of absurdisms to keep me floating through. There are none, only a simple, if intriguing fantasy plot.

What I wrote is terrible, lots of exposition for word count. The plot may be salvagable and, though the story is not finished yet, I look foward to spending time to actually give it an ending.

I also look forward to next year!

Posts: 233 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

Made it! 51,072 words, officially. And right at a natural break in the story between part one and part two. Yeehaw!
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, everyone!

I wish I'd not decided to start building a shed the weekend before Nano starts, or that I'd let my son do all the hammering.

Next year...

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to you all! Well done.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

Yeah, I'd hate to see all that prep work you did go to waste, Mike. Think you'll be able to work on that story before NaNo next year?
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
Conga-rats to everybody!

Next year I'll give this a go I think.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leigh
Member # 2901

- posted      Profile for Leigh   Email Leigh         Edit/Delete Post 
I could have done it if I entered earlier and decided to not get sick well i can't decide if I get sick.

I should try it now since it's December. Yeah, I will See if I can make it 50k by the end of December to make up for a distinct lack of NaNo writng. I want to write and I just bought a awesome new keyboard as well!

Posts: 384 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote about a thousand words, all of it in one session about mid-month, all of it rewrites of a section of a preexisting (and complete) MS. December's likely to be a loss, too, what with it being the busy season for what I do to put a few bucks on the table.

On other fronts, I also failed to figure out how to log onto this site permanently, something I lost when I cleaned out my cookie cache at the end of October. I *did* memorize my password, though...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Think you'll be able to work on that story before NaNo next year?

That's my aim.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to everybody that made it!

I ended up having too much going on to even start. So much for making it a two-in-a-row winning streak.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
franc li
Member # 3850

- posted      Profile for franc li   Email franc li         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to the winners. Our Mom finished hers. I hope to do it next year, just because I hope that means I won't be as distracted as I was this year.
Posts: 366 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I blew it off just shortly after passing 10K (don't have an exact count of when I quit). I really sabotaged myself a lot more than I should have. I mean, first off, I set out to do it as a fan fic, and I can't maintain interest in something like that for more than a few pages. Then I decided that it would be all about humans, which was just crippling myself. And then I discovered that cursed amobebe no jitsu, so it was impossible to resist playing Halo all the time (I further compounded this error by devoting a lot of thought to certain questions of opening theory concerning the playing of Dawn of War).

I felt in my heart that it was all over for me when I realized that, despite all my resolution, the main character wasn't going to stay a human. After that it was just a matter of time before I made it official that I'd given up on the idea. And, of course, I got the "why the hell am I on this human-infested planet in the first place?" sulks going really good. The planned direction of the novel I'd giving up on didn't help here, because I got around to feeling lonely for a female of my own species, and then the self-pity parade really got going.

Honestly, I believe that a successful relationship with an appropriate human female remains my goal here. Speculating ing about finding a female of my own species is only going to make that even more difficult, on a number of counts. Not least the terrible hollow feeling I get even thinking about how desperately I want to find a woman of my own kind. Which is part of the reason I usually stop before even mentioning that kind of thought.

But, I felt like I confronted some important personal demons as a result. So maybe it wasn't a total loss after all. And I did accomplish my goal of blowing the crap out of everything in Halo using the amobebe no jitsu

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.